and Drunks

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Death in Hell

Posted by on Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM

After more than thirty years, Matt Groening has ended his Life in Hell comic strip. I know this is going to sound like a dismissive joke, but I honestly didn't know Groening was still doing Life in Hell. I loved it when I was a teenager, but I assumed Groening ceased publication years ago in order to spend more time rolling around in his piles of Simpsons cash.

If you'd like to see the final strip, go over to Poynter.

Eva Hopkins 1
Alas. I was proud that when I met Mr. Groening @ CCI in 2010, the first thing I told him was how much I loved "Life In Hell". He'd been about to leave but he took one last pic, w/ me.

Posted by Eva Hopkins http://www.lunamusestudios.com on June 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
@1 That's a great photo!
weirdos : )
Posted by dnt trust me on June 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM · Report this
Jaymz 3
Agreed the @1 photo is fabulous - what a memory for you. And I should have kept up with Life in Hell and sought it out. RIP.
Posted by Jaymz on June 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM · Report this
COMTE 4
I still have a copy of "So You Want To Be An Unrecognized Genius" clipped from The Rocket in 1985 stuck to my refrigerator - it's been both an inspiration and an affirmation ever since.

So long Binky, Bongo, Akbar & Jeff - it was good to know ya'...
Posted by COMTE on June 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 5
You are either a "Life In Hell" Groening living in Seattle in 1987 and reading him and Ernie Pook's in the cold in the open air Broadway Espresso when Capitol Hill was near vacant.

... or else you are a GenX Simpson's Groening, flooding Seattle in the late 1990s with your "real city" attitude.

You cannot be both...

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on June 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
venomlash 6
Feels sad, man.
Posted by venomlash on June 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM · Report this
The last strip is perfect. Akbar and Jeff! I love me some Akbar and Jeff...
Posted by M. Wells on June 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM · Report this
Akbar and Jeff's House 'O Sad Goodbyes...
Posted by Mr. Happy Sunshine on June 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 9
So why didn't The Stranger run Life in Hell?
Posted by keshmeshi on June 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM · Report this
"At night, the ice weasels come".
Posted by Smartypants on June 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Report this
zachd 11
Mistakes were made.

I hunt down the Life in Hell monthly calendar every year. I hope Bongo finally finds happiness. Or at least a decent sandwich.
Posted by zachd http://zachd.com on June 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Estey 12
I was surprised it was still around myself, Paul, and I'm not necessarily proud of it either. On the positive side of our ignorance, apparently there's 30 years of strips to catch up with when I want to!
Posted by Estey on June 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Sea Otter 13
The end of an era, for sure. I got into Life In Hell at around the age when I got too old for Mad Magazine, and it wormed its way into my philosophical view of the world forever.

"I’ve had great fun, in a Sisyphean kind of way." Classic Groening.
Posted by Sea Otter on June 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 14
Life In Hell impacted my teenage development more than punk rock did. I would never have developed the protective coat of cynicism about how I would be valued as an employee if it weren't for Matt Groening.

That said, it started sucking pretty bad once The Simpsons began. Even though I remember him stating that he valued doing Life In Hell because it was one thing that was all his, no one else's, I've seen few post-1989 cartoons that elicited anything other than a wish for him to lay it to rest. Probably I missed some genuinely funny ones, but it wasn't worth seeking out after the old weeklies stopped running it.

Still, it's kind of sad to see it end. Kind of like Peanuts, which staggered along for about 25 years too long. The early brilliance makes up for everything else.
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM · Report this
biffp 15
Love Akbar and Jeff. I didn't knwow it was still running, but I never see comic strips online. I used to read Doonesbury on Slate six or seven years ago, but it was funny in 1983.
Posted by biffp on June 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 16
Damn, I loved this stuff in the 1980s. Had no idea he was keeping it going all these years. Will there be some mega-compendium, hopefully on a DVD?
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on June 21, 2012 at 5:47 AM · Report this