Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Local Government's Role in "War on Cars" Revealed in Subversive Press Release That Celebrates Skyrocketing Gas Prices, Encourages Witholding Money from American Businesses, and Endorses Killing Drivers With Your Bare Hands

Posted by on Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM

This email just arrived from Community Transit, Everett Transit, Intercity Transit, King County Metro Transit, Kitsap Transit, Pierce Transit, Sound Transit, and Washington State Ferries:

Tired of $4 gas?
June 21 is a great day to “Dump the Pump” and try transit
Leaving the car at home can create big savings and help the environment

The Puget Sound region’s public transportation agencies are joining forces to encourage commuters to make national Dump the Pump Day, June 21, the day they climb aboard buses, trains and ferries and spend their hard-earned dollars on something other than gas.

With volatile gas prices around $4 per gallon for regular, the more than 560,000 riders who take advantage of the region’s public transportation services already understand the savings they can reap.

June 21 is going to be a dark day.

Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 1
Is Dump the Pump anything like "Ditch the Diaper" ?

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on June 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM · Report this
Another gloriously wordy headline. I wonder which was Slog's wordiest ever. Number of words is one measure, but there's also number of total syllables to consider.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM · Report this
maxk 3
The pro-car edit:

The Puget Sound region ... forces ... commuters to ... climb aboard buses, trains and ferries and spend their hard-earned dollars ...
Posted by maxk on June 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM · Report this
look, I like transit, vote for it everytime, take it when convenient, it's not usually, drove to the park this weekend for a walk, nice, fun, it's great the bus wouldn't work for that.

the whole dump the pump we hate cars thing is a bit limiting in terms of building the coalition for transit or bikes or walking. most cities with great transit? half own cars, and take transit too; it's not tribal warring camps like here. MAYBE THAT'S WHY they got the great transit and we don't?
Posted by smuggier in seattle on June 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
If we got rid of all the cars, we could handle three stadiums.

Either or.

But not both.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM · Report this
Yeah . . . I ride the bus all the time, but it's gonna be hard to convince people that $2.50 a pop for short trips in the city is cheaper than $4 a gallon. The economic argument just doesn't work with our transit system.

"Spend your hard-earned dollars on something other than gas . . . Bus fare!"
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on June 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM · Report this
raku 7
Ban cars and meat
Posted by raku on June 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM · Report this
If I succeed in killing a driver with my bare hands, where can I have them stuffed and mounted.
Posted by Don't you think he looks tired? on June 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 9
The real problem is though gas is expensive (and parking) transit in Seattle isn't reliable in way too many cases. I drive to work on days I have to be to work on time, early or if I have to be home on time.

Metro is lucky on some routes if a bus will even show up let alone getting you where you need to go on time.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM · Report this
I'm not tired of $4 gas. That is still dirt cheap if you look at gas prices internationally.

Let's do some math!

A one month $2.50-fare bus pass is $90.

$90 buys you 22.5 gallons of gas at $4/g which at 20mpg is about 500 miles of gas.

Let's pretend you drive 10 miles to work, so that's about 25 round trips, or about 5 weeks worth of gas (for the cost of a monthly bus pass).

That leaves around 20% of the bus pass's cost leftover, or around $15 (aka $180/year).

That $180/year extra can easily pay for the oil changes and minor maintenance needed on a reliable daily driver car that is owned outright (which is not a ridiculous purchase).

Now let's think about the fact that it takes me 10-15 minutes to drive to work, but if I bus it takes 55 minutes (assuming I am out the door by 7:50AM) and 1 transfer, or 1.5 hours and 2 transfers (if I don't catch the last express in the tunnel).

Since the money is break-even (assuming you own your car and it's reliable enough to only need oil changes), the time becomes more important, and nobody is going to argue that public transit takes forever.

Wake me up when we're closer to $12/g and I might consider having a lower car payment.

Or build some light rail across 90 and I'll get rid of my car within a month of its opening.
Posted by Swearengen on June 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM · Report this
treacle 11
@7, I disagree: Ban meat and cars.

Unrelatedly, why didn't the "pro transit" post say anything about BICYCLES? Oh, they are self-interested money-grubbers. Bicycles, the transportation of the future... and essentially FREE to operate. I can get about 40 miles/sandwich on my bike, pretty decent --and delicious-- economy there.
Posted by treacle on June 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 12
I've never killed a person with my bare hands. Guns are so much easier.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on June 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Yes, because all those people driving cars have never even thought of taking the bus ... have they???
Posted by RonK, Seattle on June 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM · Report this
Conversely, as I regular Sounder Commuter Rail Rider, my first thought was, "Damn, going to have to leave a bit earlier for parking."
Posted by Slap it and "Ride The Wave" on June 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM · Report this
Gas prices are falling again (as low as $3.59 in the region today). Consumers have very short memories. Pretty soon everyone will be filling up their tanks and hopping back in their cars, and we regular bus riders will have a little more breathing room.
Posted by bigyaz on June 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM · Report this
Wait. They're having a campaign for a bunch of people who don't ride the bus to get on the busses I take that ALREADY take too long? So, lets recap:

1) Busses are already slow and unreliable
2) Add inexperienced riders who have to pay cash/don't know anything about boarding ettiquette.
3) Mix
4) ?????
5) I'm late to work!

I'm a dedicated bus commuter, but I think I'll go fill the tank in my car now for my commute to work on the 21st.....
Posted by RhymesWithFnarf on June 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM · Report this
While you are doing your short math try factoring in the cost to park downtown Seattle. At a low of $160 to as high as $300 per month the $90 bus pass is cheaper before you even look at gas prices.
Posted by onebus rider on June 20, 2012 at 2:04 PM · Report this