Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sharon Needles Day

Posted by on Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 6:00 AM

In Pittsburgh, the winner of Ru Paul's Drag Race gets an official proclamation:

"This is a city of champions in many regards," Councilman Patrick Dowd said, mentioning the Steelers and first-place Pirates. "We have a real champion in the room today."

Correct. Ms. Needles, in response, called it "humbling and almost embarrassing to have my favorite city in the world recognize what I do for a living."

Patrick Dowd was my high school European history teacher. He's awesome! He's a strong supporter of gay rights and very liberal. He doesn't wear a wedding ring or say "my wife" as he doesn't like the symbolic shackling. Cool dude all around. I'm not at all surprised that Dr. D recognized Ms. Needles.
Posted by moosefan on June 14, 2012 at 6:36 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
Sharon Needles...the most over rated drag queen of all time. Who knew being a redone version of Marlyn Manson could be so admired?
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 14, 2012 at 6:41 AM · Report this
It's a shame - I knew so many drag queens in Pittsburgh who were better looking, more talented, and just on the whole better people to be with than Ms. Needles here.

I guess it's true that assholes finish first. But Pittsburgh will take literally anyone they can get.
Posted by johnjjeeves on June 14, 2012 at 7:11 AM · Report this
bedipped 5
Aww. It's too early in the day for you to make my day, but that did it. Viva la Shadyside.
Posted by bedipped on June 14, 2012 at 7:18 AM · Report this
I'm not a RuPaul fan, but I loved seeing the city do this. Very cool.
Posted by Jamie in Pittsburgh http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/strawberry.limonade?ref=name on June 14, 2012 at 8:07 AM · Report this
@4 My dad was a cab driver in Pittsburgh, and he had a regular customer who was a drag queen and was absolutely beautiful, and super sweet. My dad, who on the outside looked like someone who would be making disparaging remarks about LGBTetc folks (devout Catholic, WWII vet, Republican, etc), was the one who taught me tolerance and respect.

Glad Pittsburgh did this for one of its own (she's from Bloomfield).
Posted by Sheryl on June 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM · Report this
I love my hometown. I spent years in Friendship right next to Bloomfield. Sharon Needles is so typical Pittsburgh. Long live the Upstage Lounge!
Posted by Jersey on June 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
You know who else is from the burgh? Joe Manganiello.
Posted by Jersey on June 14, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this
The comments are a hoot to read. I'm personally thrilled to see a Pittsburgher win on a National TV show, and I'm glad to se the city recognize that winner. I can't disagree that Sharon Needles is a controversial person, as well as a controversial performer. I watched the whole season of Drag Race, and I think she totally deserved to win, but you may disagree with the judges. This won't be the first or the only time that there are folks who agree with the judges and others do not.
Posted by thomascwaters on June 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM · Report this