Friday, June 8, 2012

Today in Depressing Seattle Weather News

Posted by on Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Cliff Mass:

Depressing But True

The May climatological numbers are in and the contiguous U.S. has had its second warmest may on record. But guess what region did not share in the balmy conditions?

You guessed it... the Pacific Northwest.

The Seattle Times (yesterday, but still):

There's been more rain so far this June than the average for the whole month—and we're only a week in.

Well, at least it's not going to pour all weekend, maybe. (Georgetown Carnival tomorrow!)

Hernandez 1
How is this depressing? May was nice this year! So what if we didn't shatter any temperature records? It was sunny, it was dry, and it was comfortable to be outside.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on June 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 2
I believe the climate scientists say global warming will probably make Seattle more wet, as most of the rest of the country gets more warm.

Just because this fits perfectly into those models doesn't mean this is climate change, it's probably (mostly) just weather. But get used to it.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on June 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
When I look at the maps it seems the wet weather has been extending into the "desert" of Inland WA. Wonder if that will make it more and more desirable as a place to live.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on June 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this
@1

yesterday I was weating my hat, and my winter coat, a nice fleece with a lining even. Yup, wearing my winter clothes in so called summer.

Seattle has lots of great things, and some not so good, one not so good being the weather, and the next not so good being the social norm that for some reason one has to worship crappy weather here.

All those folks who say they like the rain? Um, I didn't see them out relaxing in the driving rain this week sitting in adirondack chairs around greenlake or on their decks -- most of those folks were huddled inside becuase in fact
Posted by the rain kinda sucks on June 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 5
Because we are righteous and pure here in the NorthWest we will not suffer from global warming.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on June 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 6
Okay all joking aside, why do you think this part of the world produced the LARGEST trees on the planet (NOT not not the tallest) the largest. Because of the soft cool wet weather that plants really like.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on June 8, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Zebes 7
I like rain, so.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on June 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM · Report this
I like rain too! But I grew up here. IT IS MY BIRTHRIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE RAIN IN JUNE. Four times as much as usual! Grumble, grumble.
Posted by Bethany Jean Clement on June 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
All I know is that if this summer is like last summer (grey days for all of June and half of July) I am going to rage. Last summer was the worst Seattle summer I can recall in a very, very long time.
Posted by JenV on June 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM · Report this
I grew up here. I like rain. I don't complain about the rain. That doesn't mean I'm going to sit out in an Adirondack chair during a steady downpour.
Posted by MLM on June 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 11
@9 is right. @1 is right. this may was WAY better than the last 2. i'm super optimistic that we're back in the regular pattern and we're going to have an epic summer and i'm going to stand on top of mountains in the sunshine.
Posted by Max Solomon on June 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM · Report this
blackhook 12
This weather is *not* depressing! It's beautifully cool outside ...the rain comes & goes, the sun comes & goes, the air is gorgeously clear, everything is lush...i'll take it!
Posted by blackhook on June 8, 2012 at 4:06 PM · Report this
emor 13
I'm not mad, since I know it's been a nice spring because I had a watch tan more than a month earlier than usual. I already girded myself for a bad June, since June is always bad. I have thought it's been raining quite a bit lately, though.

If its bad next month for my 11 day bike trip, that's when I will be pissed. Last year's trip rained every day. UGH.
Posted by emor on June 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM · Report this
Simone 14
I hope it is decent tomorrow like it was/is today because I plan on attending the Georgetown Carnival.
Posted by Simone on June 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
COMTE 15
Hell, I think there was more rain in a 10 minute period just yesterday than the average for the whole month...
Posted by COMTE on June 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM · Report this
watchout5 16
This isn't depressing at all. The entire year so far I've been nothing but excited and happy at this weather. If I didn't like this weather, I wouldn't live here.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on June 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM · Report this
Why don't you "I'm happy I l love this weather it's not depressing" people just shut up. That's what's awful about Seattle. If you had an ounce of sophistication, you'd be schadenfreuding us sunlovers instead of Pollyannaing us.
Posted by sarah70 on June 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM · Report this