Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Go See the Transit of Venus

Posted by on Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Go see the Transit of Venus. Trust me. An astronomy prof at NU arranged a telescope (we have clear skies!) and the line was around Tech. Amazingly cool thing to see, a celestial event that won't happen again till all of us are long dead. Amazing. At a loss for words here.

Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway: do not look directly at the sun. And glasses designed for solar eclipses are NOT suitable for this event: the moon blocks out most of the light of the sun, Venus does not: stare at the sun with those Eclipse Glasses and you're going to burn your retinas out.

You are fucking kidding me. Yes, you are in fucking clear skys Chicago. We are in perpetually rainy June in Seattle. There is no blue sky. There is no sun to stare at and burn our retinas. There is no chance in hell of seeing Venus unless we get into an airplane. You are just taunting us. Is this just another Savage being an asshole?
Posted by SeattleKim on June 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM · Report this
@SeattleKim I just looked at Weather.com and it showed clear skies over parts of the PNW. Sorry for being an asshole, though it does run in the family. And maybe the U of W event will have a feed piped in from a clear-skied place?
Posted by Chicago Fan on June 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
TLjr 3
I'm at the Adler Planetarium and it's quite the happening scene.
Posted by TLjr on June 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM · Report this
treacle 4
Yeah, Seattle is rainy and extra cloudy today Mr. Fan. Your post got my hopes up there for a sec too.

Regardless, sky enthusiasts can go to this page on Wired's site to watch live streaming vid of the transit.
Posted by treacle on June 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM · Report this
I have no idea which parts of the mythical PNW actually have clear skies, but they are nowhere near where I am sitting. All I can see is low puffy grey clouds below higher grey sheet clouds. And a lot of wet. I will get to see whatever they decide to show on the news. Filmed from somewhere else. As usual. Send sunshine and I will recind the asshole comment.
Posted by SeattleKim on June 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 6
Too cloudy here in Denver also.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on June 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
@S.Kim: If I had that kind of power, I would use it, but no need to rescind any anatomical commentary.
Posted by Chicago Fan on June 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM · Report this
treacle 8
Let me tell you, the live vid is a nail-biter too! What will happen next? Will Venus keep moving across the face of the Sun? Will there be a solar eruption and CME? AND WHAT ABOUT THE CORONAL HOLE THAT LOOKS LIKE A BIRD?

I'm on tenterhooks for the entire thing... ;>)
Posted by treacle on June 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM · Report this
is Venus grey and drippy? I think I see it.
Posted by DJSauvage on June 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM · Report this
Simone 10
i wish.
Posted by Simone on June 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Wait, wait, the sun's out- I see shadows! Quick, we can all go burn our corneas!
Posted by Teshumai on June 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
"Eclipse Glasses" are designed specifically for staring directly at the sun, in any of no/partial/full eclipse conditions. Your corneas will be fine.
Posted by hrmmm on June 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM · Report this
kim in portland 13
@ Chicago Fan,

That would be Portland (SW Washington?) that has the sun. The sky cleared at about 14:00 and it's beautiful.

Take care.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on June 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM · Report this
I like when they show the shots from SDO, and I can pretend Venus is CRASHING INTO THE SUUUUUUN!!!
Posted by Ben on June 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 15
What @ 12 said.
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Great view here in Olympia. And solar glasses work just fine for eclipses and Venus transits.
Posted by Mike in Olympia on June 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Just great. By the time the clearing gets far enough North to get to Seattle, the whole event will be completely over. I'd think about moving to Portland, but there is already a Kim in Portland, and that would get confusing.
Posted by SeattleKim on June 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM · Report this
@17 Well, maybe by the next Venus transit, in 2117, that Kim will be dead.
Posted by Ben on June 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 19
If you guys had a telescope, you could have seen Mercury pass in front of the sun about a week ago also.

These are the days of miracle and wonder. . . .
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on June 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
lark 20
@Chicago Fan,
Yep, cloudy and rainy here in Seattle. I just saw the Venusian transit on NASA's website. Hey, it wasn't direct viewing but it still is fascinating to watch. Quite gorgeous too.
Posted by lark on June 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM · Report this
Wait, they have transit on Venus?
Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen on June 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM · Report this
@21 Yes, light rail.
@12 and @15, the folks at NU were telling people otherwise. Just repeating what the scientists tell me.
Posted by Chicago Fan on June 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 23
there's beautiful stuff popping up every few minutes on the NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory facebook page. go look!
Posted by mr. herriman on June 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM · Report this
@22 And still they have greenhouse gasses and global warming.
Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen on June 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM · Report this