and Drunks

Thursday, May 17, 2012

You Should Get a Whooping Cough Booster Now

Posted by on Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Please, please, please—for the love of all that is holy, or at least your neighbor's children—if you live in Western Washington State, get a booster vaccine for Whooping Cough (aka Pertussis, aka Bordetella Pertussis, aka the Hundred Day Cough).

The vaccine is incredibly safe, incredibly effective (about 90% protective against any disease, even more so against severe disease) and about as natropathic of an intervention against our ongoing epidemic.

There is no treatment for a Pertussis infection, once you've got it. Antibiotics can reduce the chance you'll infect someone else, but will do nothing to shorten the disease. And, it's a nasty one. At best, you can expect to cough—really cough, in some cases hard enough to break ribs—for weeks. Aside from the cough, Pertussis infection and toxin can cause inflammation of the brain, anoxic brain damage in children or ill people who are infected, and seizures.

The vaccine for adults is called "TDaP", has no live organisms in it (so you cannot get sick from the vaccine), provides excellent protection for ten years and is dirt cheap. Get it now.

SecretBYUBottomBoy 1
Totally agree. Remember it's babies that will DIE frOm this disease. Getting a little shot is the least you can do.

Posted by SecretBYUBottomBoy on May 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM · Report this
Eric Arrr 2
I'm convinced. I also have no health coverage. Who should I call?
Posted by Eric Arrr on May 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM · Report this
Jason Josephes 3
What 2 said, only because my hypochondria just flared up
Posted by Jason Josephes http://www.myspace.com/bluemoonseattle on May 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
@2, my favorite call would be to the Country Doctor, they do sliding scale. Also, per the Department of Health: "If you need help finding a doctor, please call the Community Health Access Program (CHAP): 206-284-0331 or 800-756-5437 CHAP staff can refer you to a Community Health Clinic offering full health services, including immunizations. If you do not have medical coverage, clinic fees are based on your income."
Posted by gloomy gus on May 17, 2012 at 4:53 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 5
And don't let your babies have a play date with Kimya Dawson's kids. Little fuckers aren't vaccinated and they'll infect your kids.

Jenny McCarthy is an evil bitch because she was in Playboy and on MTV, but Kimya Dawson is gets a hipster pass. It's like hipster racism: special rules apply.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on May 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Seattle & King County and Group Health Cooperative are partnering to provide free whooping cough booster shots for adults. Adults without health insurance and those who cannot afford to pay can get a free booster on Saturday, May 12 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Group Health Burien Medical Center.

Date: Saturday, May 12, 2012

Time: The clinic is open from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. or until there is no more vaccine available.

Location: Group Health Burien Medical Center
140 SW 146th St
Burien WA, 98116
Posted by alitria on May 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM · Report this
leek 7
This is the tetanus booster, as well, or at least it has been for a while. So if you've gotten a tetanus booster in the last x years, you're covered. Yes?
Posted by leek on May 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM · Report this
@ 7 - not necessarily. Last week as I was being screened for whooping cough I was informed by my doctor that until very recently, not all adult tetanus boosters including the pertussis component. I thought the same thing, thus the reason I ended up coughing so hard I couldn't stand up and being screened for pertussis while 7 months pregnant.
Posted by alitria on May 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM · Report this
If you do not have a doctorate level degree in human-focused biology, you may proceed to begin shutting the fuck up now. Thanks in advance.
Posted by Swearengen on May 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM · Report this
@6 whoopee!
Posted by gloomy gus on May 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 11
Is this something you can get from a pharmacist? Because it's not "dirt cheap" if patients have to pay the cost of the vaccine and an office visit.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM · Report this
@7 You beat me to it. But if you've had the tetanus booster recently double check that it is TDaP and not just TD (I think most are TDaP these days but worth checking to be sure)
Posted by lone locust on May 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 13
@6,

Anyone have a time machine I can borrow?
Posted by keshmeshi on May 17, 2012 at 5:01 PM · Report this
@6: But it's the 17th.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on May 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM · Report this
Go to Rite Aid and get one.
Posted by _db_ on May 17, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this
leek 16
I think I got my most recent tetanus shot about 3 or 4 years ago, and it was TDaP... ha, look at that! For some unknown reason I stuck the card they gave me in my wallet. Someone crossed out "dT" and wrote in "Tdap". 4/30/09 at the Polyclinic in Ballard. So other Polyclinic patients may well have gotten it.
Posted by leek on May 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM · Report this
Pope Urbane 17
I got me a dog in this fight. My 4 year old got infected with pertussis. He was vaccinated but the vaccination is only about 70% (or so IIRC_ effective. It's herd immunity that's needed.

Check this out if you want your heart broken. http://youtu.be/KZV4IAHbC48 Or any of the other videos Now imagine it's your own kid.

Get vaccinated for fucking god's sake.
Posted by Pope Urbane on May 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM · Report this
It takes hardly any time to get one. It rarely hurts and it is certainly easier than living with whooping cough. (which I have. It isn't fun in the slightest) Imagine coughing so much that you pass out. Think of it as being a responsible member of society. (which is fun)
Posted by treat yourself to a lollipop afterward on May 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM · Report this
emma's bee 19
So Jonathan, why IS there an epidemic in W Washington?
Posted by emma's bee on May 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM · Report this
amyl 20
The King County Public Health website says to check back for more times/places to get free or low cost TDAP vaccines. It's about $60 out of pocket at Safeway and Bartells for those w/o insurance, which may be cheap to some but when funds are low $60 can be hard to come up with.
Posted by amyl on May 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 21
If you are a UW student or employee, you can get it in the UW Tower cafeteria between 10am and 2pm this Wednesday.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on May 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 22
Unvaccinated kids without a free pass for medical reasons from a county doctor need to be banned from schools.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://www.zombo.com on May 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM · Report this
I had this when I was three, and had to sleep in a bubble for two weeks. No good.
Posted by erly on May 17, 2012 at 7:15 PM · Report this
camlux 24
I got mine a few days ago from the Northgate QFC. It took a literally painless 30 seconds (and $18 after the insurance deductable). Big kudos to the awesome pharmacist who stuck me so professionally. Line up, everyone. It's worth it.
Posted by camlux on May 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM · Report this
internet_jen 25
During my annual TB test for work the nurse talked me into a Tdap last year.
Posted by internet_jen on May 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM · Report this
My three month old daughter got her first round of vaccinations last month, but it's not super effective yet. Got my shot the other week seeing how I work in the schools (no outbreaks in Auburn yet... knock on wood).
Posted by Nic in Greenlake on May 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM · Report this
@13 Make sure you get your vaccines first. God knows what diseases people had back then.
Posted by giffy on May 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM · Report this
@19, as if you didn't know, it's because the anti-vaccination idiots have done away with herd immunity.

Old people and people with immune suppression may also die, not just babies.
Posted by sarah70 on May 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM · Report this
nightscrawl 29
For those asking, you might check your nearest Safeway pharmacy. They offer immunization services for a variety of issues including whooping cough and influenza.
Posted by nightscrawl on May 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM · Report this
raku 30
Just keep in mind that the tdap is a hell of a shot and can make you pretty ill and in serious pain for a few days. I trusted my nurse who said "no side effects" and left for a trip the next day, and it pretty much ruined my vacation. I talked to friends and they heard the same thing from their doctors and most of them had problems too.

Doctors/nurses - it's hurting your profession and society when you lie about vaccines.
Posted by raku on May 18, 2012 at 1:58 AM · Report this
raku 31
I just saw Jonathon put in his "this vaccine can't make you sick" line. Of course it can, and maybe even likely will, make you sick - it just won't give you whooping cough. You're not helping by being manipulative, Jonathan.
Posted by raku on May 18, 2012 at 2:06 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 32
@9 Grow up.
Posted by Sir Vic on May 18, 2012 at 6:01 AM · Report this
Arsenic7 33
@9

These recommendations come from people with that level of education.

That said, you know need a doctorate to understand the ideas behind vaccination and why it's important.

As an infant, I was actually allergic to the whooping cough vaccine and it made me fairly sick. That said, this is only MORE reason for everyone else to get it, since I'd rather not contract the actual disease from you.
Posted by Arsenic7 on May 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 34
Jenny McCarthy's reign of terror continues.

Not getting your child immunized should be child abuse by neglect. If you are not protecting your children against the most dangerous thing in the world, you are a terrible parent.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on May 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM · Report this
scary tyler moore 35
gus, country doctor is only offering vaccines to its established patients, so that's out. so it's either stump up $60 at a drugstore, or wait for Public Health to offer free shots within the city limits. burien is too far for a car free person like me.
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on May 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Grrr, sorry to hear that, stm.
Posted by gloomy gus on May 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
@31/31 There is no virus in a TDaP vaccine. What do you think could have made you sick? My money is on coincidence or a psychosomatic response.

The "T" in TDaP stands for tetanus, so your arm will be sore. I got my booster last week and it ached for 2 days. I whined about it, but I bet I whined way less than I would have if I'd come down with whooping cough.
Posted by girlstyle on May 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Rebekah 38
@31 & 37 - Any vaccine can cause side effects, so sayeth the CDC. But by and large those effects are significantly less awful than what you're being vaccinated against.

Posted by Rebekah on May 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
raku 39
#37/#38: I'm definitely not saying not to get vaccinated, I'm saying doctors should just tell the truth about vaccines. If doctors like Dr. Golob start lying about vaccines (it's impossible for you to get sick!), then it makes Jenny McCarthy sound trustworthy in comparison.

Rebekah - thank you for the link.
Posted by raku on May 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM · Report this
emma's bee 40
@28: I'm not trying to be snarky. There are anti-vac nuts everywhere. Why is it worse there?
Posted by emma's bee on May 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM · Report this