and Drunks

Friday, April 20, 2012

Why Is This on Your Seattle Blog? Troll Bait?

Posted by on Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM

And nepotism, that's why!

Anyway, Today in Baseball History is very Chicago-centric:

1916 In Chicago, the Cubs play their first game at Weeghman Park beating the Reds in 11 innings, 7-6. The ballpark will be renamed Wrigley Field in 1926.

Wheeghman Park had been home of the Chicago Whales of the Federal League, and I kind of wish the National League club had taken the Whales nickname when their owner bought the Cubs. It would be an accurate description of the size of so many sausage-chomping and beer-swilling Midwestern fans, not to mention players like Hack Wilson and Rick Reuschel, and would provide a connection to the fauna of the Pacific Northwest, somewhat justifying this post.

Get your Whales Merchandise here!

And in

1946 The Cubs are shut out by Cardinal southpaw Harry Brecheen in their home opener at Wrigley Field, 2-0. The game is the first in the club's history be televised with 'Whispering' Joe Wilson doing the play-by-play on Chicago's WBKB.

And in
1967 Rookie hurler Tom Seaver gets his first major-league win when the Mets beat the Cubs, 6-1. 'Tom Terrific' goes 7 2/3 innings giving up eight hits and one run.

And in
1997 In the second game of a doubleheader, the Cubs stop their season-opening losing skid at 14 games beating the Mets, 4-3. By losing the opener, Chicago set a National League record (0-14) for the most consecutive losses to start a season and has the second-worst record behind the Baltimore Orioles who lost 21 decisions before winning a game in 1988.

Am listening to the Cubs blow a game to the Reds right now, already down 4 runs in the middle of the first. Reds have batted around. If they win today, it's the Cincinnati franchise's 10,000th win. Ah, History! Makes my upcoming colonoscopy seem all the more appropriate.

Matt from Denver 1
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM · Report this
Ah, nights under the lights in Wrigleyville. . . . wait, that was Lakeview. Gotta love the boys of summer.
Posted by pjmad on April 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Zebes 3
Baseball loves baseball.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on April 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM · Report this
rob! 4
The only reason I've stood in the shadow of Wrigley Field, sadly, is that it's walking distance from Boystown.

My sole bit of advice regarding colonoscopies: don't choose the pineapple flavor of GoLYTELY. Sounds delicious and refreshing at first, and it IS for the first three or four glasses, but after you're done you won't want to even look at a pineapple for the next five years.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
@4 Thanks, I went with the lemon-lime. Don't like 7-Up anyway.
Posted by Chicago Fan on April 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
None of this is very interesting to me, but you get a pass because you mentioned Rick Reuschel. And, goddamn, when are players going to start wearing their pants like that again? I look at a game now and that's all I can see, four inches of fabric pooling at their feet. It's disgusting. I'm old.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM · Report this
@6, most baseball players wear their pants like marching band members.

I think Frank Robinson was the one who popularized wearing the high arched stirrups. Nowadays you have to watch womens college softball to see players with stirrups.
Posted by neo-realist on April 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM · Report this
Felix.
Posted by derkle on April 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM · Report this
Cinci just picked up their 10,000th WIN!!
Posted by derkle on April 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
But there are no whales in Lake Michigan. No cetaceans of any kind, far as I know. So it would be weird to have an original Chicago team named the Whales.
Posted by floater on April 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM · Report this
kim in portland 11
@ 4,

Hope everything came out clean. Thanks to my family history of both colon and stomach cancer, I get the endoscopy and colonoscopy two for one special every two years. Ask if they will let you do the Miralax and Gatorade method. It does involve an obscene volume of Gatorade (anything but red colored) and 17.9 oz (510g) of Miralax, but it allowes you to vary the flavor.

I hope yours also went well, Chicago Fan.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on April 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM · Report this
Oop. Missed yr last paragraph CF, RE: 10k. My bad. Also, good luck with the scope.
Posted by derkle on April 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
rob! 13
It did at the time, Kim, but I'm overdue for another. I keep hoping I can do the pillcam next time, but it's still not available where I am. You still have to do the Big Flush, of course. Thanks for your tip—I'd heard there was an alternative method.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on April 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM · Report this
"That's all interesting, but the 100th anniversary of the opening of Fenway Park beats all that."

The Cubs losing streak is longer than Fenway has been open, that's the point!

Go White Sox!!!