Friday, April 20, 2012

Seattle Is the Most Likable City in America

Posted by on Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Public Policy Polling says Seattle is number one:

The Pacific Northwest has a good reputation nationwide—the two most popular of the 21 prominent cities we asked about in our national poll last weekend are Seattle and Portland, OR. 57% of American voters see Seattle favorably and only 14% unfavorably, edging out Portland (52-12) by three points on the margin.

The most unpopular is Detroit, which only 22% see positively and 49% negatively. Americans have net-negative impressions of only two other of these cities, and both are in California: Oakland (21-39) and Los Angeles (33-40). In February, PPP found California to be the least popular state in the union. It does have the 11th most popular city, though: San Francisco (48-29).

Read the whole likability report right here.

Baconcat 1
Sorry, Bailo.
Posted by Baconcat on April 20, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
GlamB0t 2
Everyone loves Seattle except for those who live here. They can't handle the truth!
Posted by GlamB0t on April 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM · Report this
jnmend 3
We're so lovable from a distance.
Posted by jnmend on April 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 4

In another poll, 294 out of 300 people said they didn't live in Seattle.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM · Report this
The most generally favorably viewed member of my family is my second-youngest nephew, who never does anything to offend (or interest) any of us. At holiday gatherings he sits around behaving pleasantly and unmemorably toward all and sundry. I'm going to start calling him Young Seattle.
Posted by gloomy gus on April 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM · Report this
It's because it's so white. You don't have to worry about your hubcaps being stolen.
Posted by Welcome to the capital of Whitopia on April 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM · Report this
laterite 7
+1 gloomy gus
Posted by laterite on April 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM · Report this
+1 @5

This, by the way, is why Detroit has some amazing stuff going on (in the arts, in literature, in music, and in every other aspect), while Seattle and Portland are just crammed full of wannabe hipsters. "Likable" is more a curse than a blessing.
Posted by Cow on April 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM · Report this
Let's see how these numbers change after they finish painting the space needle orange. Ugh.
Posted by zobot http://wsu.academia.edu/zoealeshire on April 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM · Report this
Original Andrew 10
You'd never know LA is so despised from looking at the housing prices. Anything west of Vermont Ave that you wouldn't be afraid to walk out of is a million gawdamn dollar$ /end rant.
Posted by Original Andrew on April 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM · Report this
Fnarf 11
I find likability rather unlikable, myself. Cue Sally Fields.

@9, IT WAS MEANT TO BE ORANGE. ORANGE IS WHAT IT WAS MEANT TO BE, BY GOD, AND ORANGE IS WHAT IT WILL BE ONCE MORE.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM · Report this
Yes, Detroit has cornered the market on artists making $7k a year and living in mansions. Meanwhile the city is going bankrupts and has one of the highest murder rates in the USA. But hey, St. Andrews rocks!
Posted by Grosse Pointe Blank on April 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM · Report this
Oh, take it. Seattle is one of the most pleasant cities to live in and you know it. And so do the Washington Republicans who spend their days criticizing us and calling us Marxists or whatever. We have perfect weather, clean air and water, decent transportation (for now), two or three quality colleges, an educated workforce, a generally sweet citizenry who waits at light to walk across the street, and the beauty of the Pacific Northwest all around us. And crime's low. What's not to love? Haters gonna hate.
Posted by floater on April 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM · Report this
Oh! And we also have Dave Matthews, Tom Skerrit, and Apollo Ohno!
Posted by floater on April 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM · Report this
Mark in Colorado 15
You're fucking damn right Seattle is the best!!!!
Posted by Mark in Colorado on April 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM · Report this
@13. Exactly, lots of white people!
Posted by No crime too on April 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM · Report this
@14 really white person, old white person, kind of white person.
Posted by Seattle is Whitopia on April 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM · Report this
Fnarf 18
And yes, I am a halfwit; I failed to notice that the video link was the selfsame Sally Field -- not Fields -- clip I thought I was being clever in referencing. Pfft. Oh, well, great minds think alike, which means Paul may be in trouble.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 19
everyone hates CA, but they all want to move there. haters.
Posted by Max Solomon on April 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM · Report this
@11

It's like painting bright pink nipples on a lovely white marble statue of Venus--sure, they used be there, but maybe it's not a good choice any longer. (to be clear: I am not actually comparing the Needle to a naked woman).
Posted by zobot http://wsu.academia.edu/zoealeshire on April 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 21
@ 15, please tell me you're moving there posthaste. Colorado can use the improvement.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM · Report this
I agree with @2. I moved out of Washington State years ago, but never encounter negative opinions of Seattle when I tell people that's where I'm from. But I'd never move back, either.
Posted by WestSeven on April 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM · Report this
Fnarf 23
@20, I also strongly support bright pink nipples.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM · Report this
This is great - I'm starting to feel more likable already!

I'm even starting to like some of the annoying people around me.

I wonder ... does the aura of likability extend to Tukwila?
Posted by RonK, Seattle on April 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 25
It's not "orange". It's "Galaxy Gold". And I think it's lovely.

As for Seattle, I love the city. It's the people that annoy me.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM · Report this
Hey I'm a native that -- because of my career -- moved from Seattle to Los Angeles for 25 years before I moved back. The good news is I I sold in LA at the height of the market. The even better news is I LOVE being back in the Great Pacific Northwest!!!
Posted by aislander on April 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM · Report this
I think Seattle's likable enough.
Posted by Jude Fawley on April 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM · Report this
And for those complaining about the new paint job on the space needle, are you REALLY Seattleites? That is the original color of the needle and is being done until the fall to honor the 50th anniversary of the Century 21 Exibition, which singlehandedly took Seattle to be a backwater nothing town to a World Player.! So shut up!
Posted by aislander on April 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM · Report this
Teslick 29
Galaxy Gold +infinity +1!

And without the 1962 World's Fair, we'd be Portland...who would want that?
Posted by Teslick on April 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM · Report this
Go figure, the only colored thing in Seattle will be the Space Needle.
Posted by Welcome to Whitopia on April 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 31

Seattle has very, very nice personality.

Can I hook you two up?

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM · Report this
Confluence 32
@25

That's precisely my view of Seattle too: "I love the city. It's the people that annoy me."

Rife with cliched hipsters that take themselves SO seriously, yet are laughable to anyone who's ever lived in a real city. The dullest, lamest whiteys I ever did meet, I tell ya. If we could just take a firehouse to the locals, directing them toward Spokane and then replace them with anyone from *any* other region of the U.S., this place would be awesome.

One can dream!
Posted by Confluence on April 21, 2012 at 1:47 AM · Report this
Ernie1 33
@32

So you're more interesting than everyone else in town?

Sounds like one of those "cliched hipsters that take themselves SO seriously, yet are laughable to anyone who's ever lived in a real city" to me...
Posted by Ernie1 on April 21, 2012 at 5:11 AM · Report this
I have lived in Seattle for almost 2 decades now, and I love it! Winters can be rough, but if you pick up a fun activity, like snowboarding, you'll make it through to the outstanding beauty of spring, summer & fall.
And to the fool who keeps repeating the "Seattle is so White" mantra, you may wanna google the census results for 98118, the most culturally diverse zip code in the nation. Heck, I'm an immigrant, and my hood 98144 is largely immigrant working families. You may be confussing lack of sun exposure to whiteness.
Posted by Marina on April 21, 2012 at 7:49 AM · Report this
I should add, that I travel all over the US for work, and Seattle is definitely up there: largely progressive, clean, cultured, diverse, laid back, outdoorsy... What's not to love? (oh yeah, the weather, I hear you there, but global warming seems to be in our favor also)
Posted by Marina on April 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM · Report this
@34 yep, Seattle stuffed all its minorities and crime in one slowly gentrifying hood. Columbia City bakery is about as diverse as Wonder Bread.
Posted by People like Seattle because its not Detroit or Baltimore. on April 21, 2012 at 8:07 AM · Report this
@35 Seattle is diverse? Thanks for the laugh. Last US census showed Seattle was as white as Bellevue.
Posted by Welcome to Whitopia on April 21, 2012 at 8:10 AM · Report this
2010 census:

Bellevue - 62% white
Seattle - 69.5% white

But keep the myth alive that Seattle is diverse!
Posted by Welcome to Whitopia on April 21, 2012 at 8:16 AM · Report this
You can always spot the rubes in Seattle - they're the ones who think the town is 'diverse'.
Posted by Welcome to Whitopia on April 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM · Report this
@ 36-39 And your wide brush stereotypes keep rolling in. That's fine, biggots like you should stay away anyhow.
Posted by Marina on April 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM · Report this
"your wide brush stereotypes"

US census data is a 'stereotype'?

Nicely played rube.
Posted by Welcome to Whitopia on April 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM · Report this
And what exactly is so horrible about white people. Sorry, I was born this color. Does my race make be a bad person ? So sick of racism.
Posted by randomitis on April 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM · Report this
@42 Your white privilege is showing.
Posted by Welcome to Whitopia on April 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM · Report this
aliencoffebandit 44
white people ruin everything. this isn't racism, just a fact
Posted by aliencoffebandit on April 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
@44

Lol!

Hate it when whitey steals my hubcaps.
Posted by Welcome to Whitopia on April 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
So we don't bitch about the weather anymore, just the white people? I move away for school for 3 years, and you guys switch it all up on me like this? HOW ARE WE GOING TO KEEP PEOPLE IN CA FROM MOVING HERE WITH TALK LIKE THAT?
Posted by zobot http://wsu.academia.edu/zoealeshire on April 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
I know it's nice out today, but let's have some consistency, people.
Posted by zobot http://wsu.academia.edu/zoealeshire on April 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM · Report this
@ 44 Does it make sense to blame people for "ruining everything" because of their color ? Even if they are a majority ? Are all white people responsible for the actions of individual white people ? Sounds like racism to me.
Posted by randomitis on April 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM · Report this
@2, I live here and love it here.

@8, I'm from metro Detroit but left there in 1994, finally returning last March for spring break. While I met some very nice people in the city, I'm glad to be back in Seattle again, thanks. There's just more going on here. It's more vibrant.
Posted by brendan on April 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM · Report this
Lew Siffer 50
I love the whiteness of Seattle.
Posted by Lew Siffer on April 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM · Report this
lsk3 51
I tell people that I would live in Seattle and Portland, in a heart beat, if I was white. While I enjoyed how green Seattle is, I left because I got tired of being a token and of seeing the occasional confederate flag. Not surprisingly, I am feel more at home in Oakland (where I live) and LA (where I wish I lived)!
Posted by lsk3 on April 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM · Report this
@51 Sadly, here in Seattle, we don't need the sound of gun fire from teenagers to put us asleep.
Posted by Welcome to Whitopia on April 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
@51 btw you don't have to be white, just act white.
Posted by Read stuffwhitepeoplelike.com for instructions. on April 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM · Report this
michijo 54
I am glad my city is unlisted in this poll, though Forbes said we are the most livable in the USA. The French say: "to live well, live hidden". Seattle seems not hidden.
Posted by michijo on April 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM · Report this
"most unpopular is Detroit, which only 22% see positively and 49% negatively"

Welcome to Blacktopia.
Posted by Grosse Pointe Blank on April 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM · Report this
Pip Hellion 56
We are winning!
Posted by Pip Hellion on April 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM · Report this
Pip Hellion 57
We are winning!
Posted by Pip Hellion on April 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM · Report this
wilbur@work 58
hysterical reading hipster after hipster try to out-self-hate each other. Yea you don't like the people 'cause they're just like you. Try moving to a less hip neighborhood, you might actually enjoy life like the rest of us.
Posted by wilbur@work on April 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Geni 59
I like Seattle fine - I mean, it's my hometown and I'm still here, so obviously I don't hate it - but it doesn't hold a candle to Hilo. If I could make a living in Hilo, I'd move there tomorrow.
Posted by Geni on April 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this