Thursday, April 19, 2012

Nude but Not Lewd

Posted by on Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I'm not sure why I find it so satisfying, but I admire the guy who protested what he saw as unfair treatment by security by taking off all his clothes at the Portland Airport.

Slowly and calmly, the 49-year-old high-tech consultant took off all his clothes. Yes, even his socks… "He asked me to please not do this," John Brennan said. "He asked me to put my clothes on. I said I believed I had a right to be nude."

Allyn 1
Apparently he’s a monthly flyer and has complained of being harassed. In one version of this story he had been told that there were traces of explosives on his clothing.

“…covered their children’s eyes…” that’s some reactionary parenting right there, for sure.
Posted by Allyn on April 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 2
@ 1, while I wouldn't cover my kids' eyes if this happened before me (although my older girl doesn't really like shirtless guys, for some reason - she'd probably cover her eyes on her own), doing so is too much of the norm to be considered "reactionary."
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
Keister Button 3
What's wrong with demonstrating you have no explosives or dangerous weapons on you when going through airport security? Wouldn't removing all of one's clothes do that?
Posted by Keister Button on April 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
laterite 4
So Portland really is a Zack Galifinakis convention.*

*credit: Greg Proops
Posted by laterite on April 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 5
Portlandia-in-a-can
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on April 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 6
He's from Portland. Being naked and riding bikes in protest is part of their community standards.

Same applies to Fremont in Seattle.

Disband the TSA. Nothing they do is effective against trained terrorists. Nothing.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Fried Worms 7
a couple years ago in Ohio (I think) a guy was arrested for a sex crime when a neighbor saw through a window that he was naked in his own house, brewing coffee to start the day. It took 2 years to clear his name. So if you wake up, head into the kitchen to make coffee--while naked--before jumping in the shower and can be chaged as a sex criminal because your neighbor was looking in your windows...why wasn't this guy arrested for being a sex criminal?

I'm not saying he should be, but we have become so strident and reactionary in our fear of nakedness, public morality, sex and the body as criminal ("But what about the CHILDREN?!?"), then I'm just utterly confused about how this could ever have happened.
Posted by Fried Worms on April 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Allyn 8
Matt, @2 I wouldn’t cover my kids’ eyes (not only because I don’t have three hands), but to react to a non-sexual presentation of male nudity by showing your kids just how powerful a penis is that one must avert one’s eyes when exposed, seems like it would only spark a child’s curiosity and intrigue. I would rather under-play a situation like that.

But to the parents’ defense – they had no idea where this was going to go. They likely could not have known this wasn’t a lewd act. So, I’ll listen to your wisdom and stop being so harsh and judgey.

@3 my thought exactly. If they were accusing him of having explosives on his clothing, removing them would be the best and fastest way of proving there are no bombs.
Posted by Allyn on April 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM · Report this
Sadly this wasn't so much a protest against the absurdities of the TSA, instead being a protest against the community norms that demand clothing.
Posted by Warren Terra on April 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 10
Did they send him through the backscatter machine anyway?

(also wondering if one of Allyn's kids has just one eye)

Posted by Matt the Engineer on April 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 11
Paultard or hipster?
Posted by undead ayn rand on April 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 12
@ 10, you must have tiny hands if you can't cover both of a kid's eyes with one.

I'm going to guess that Allyn has three children.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 19, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
very bad homo 13
Isn't public nudity legal in Portland? Either way, this guy rocks.
Posted by very bad homo on April 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Eric Arrr 14
From the reported facts, it doesn't look like his arrest for disorderly conduct was even legal. Breakin' it down:

166.025¹
Disorderly conduct in the second degree
(1) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct in the second degree if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, the person:

(a) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior; -- no reports of anything violent, tumultuous or threatening about his standing there naked

(b) Makes unreasonable noise; -- no reports that he was noisy about it

(c) Disturbs any lawful assembly of persons without lawful authority; -- iffy. I'm going to assume that there's case authority somewhere that says that merely being naked in public does not constitute a disturbance in & of itself. also I'm guessing the language "lawful assembly of persons" is construed to mean more than propiniquity by mere happenstance.

(d) Obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic on a public way; -- no accusation that he obstructed anybody. the photos show him fairly out of the way.

(e) Congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse; -- didn't congregate with other persons, so nope

(f) Initiates or circulates a report, knowing it to be false, concerning an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, catastrophe or other emergency; or -- nope

(g) Creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which the person is not licensed or privileged to do. -- nothing hazarous. and "physically offensive" means more than visibly naked.

so, yeah. I'm calling this arrest questionable.
More...
Posted by Eric Arrr on April 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 15
we're all safer. people are trying to kill us all day every day. that man is a monster and hates freedom, puppies, and apple pie. but he loves to eat.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on April 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM · Report this
Allyn 16
@10 (12) Yes, three children, small faces.
Posted by Allyn on April 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM · Report this
Fnarf 17
This guy's dream has come true: bloggers all over the world are posting pictures of his beard.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 18
I've wanted to do this for a couple of years. I have one of those silly Utilikilts, which will come completely off with one yank, so between that and a T-shirt I can be down to my socks and shoes in about 3 seconds. Too cowardly to screw up my flight, unfortunately.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on April 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 19
Maybe next time they shouldn't use the term "strip search" if they don't actually mean it.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
sloegin 20
Posted by sloegin on April 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM · Report this
An appallingly cute college student pulled this stunt a few years ago. Couldn't you have posted his picture instead?
Posted by Joe Glibmoron on April 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 22
@20: "Weird that none of the news reports ask why this dude tested positive for explosives? Or does everyone assume he's just on some random TSA shitlist?"

Oh bullshit. I request a patdown every time, then without fail "test positive" and every single time require the full, more private search that finds nothing.

"test positive" does not mean that you are suspicious of anything.
Posted by undead ayn rand on April 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 23
@22 you just look like a god damn criminal is all.
Posted by More, I Say! on April 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM · Report this
Zebes 24
@18

Shoes? Shoes might be bombs, son. Better invest in some flip-flops or something to top off the ensemble.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on April 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 25
@24 Maybe if I'm flying to Santa Barbara. I like warm feet.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
My oldest daughter passed through airport security with an old Argus camera from the late 50s that she had purchased for me as a gift. An old Argus doesn't look like today's modern cameras, so it attracted a great deal of attention, and it tested positive for explosives (it still had film from the previous owner, I think it was probably the silver nitrates in the film). However, the camera was not confiscated and she was not detained.

So, @20, it's not that he tested positive for an outright explosive, but he tested positive for a component that is known to be used in explosives. And those compounds are so common in every day use, the paper test is largely useless.
Posted by catballou on April 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM · Report this
#26 Don't hot dogs have nitrates, too? Dude looks like he might have tested positive for three or four of those, just recently.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on April 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM · Report this
I don't get this. The guy is upset about an invasion of his privacy, and his reaction is to throw away ALL of his privacy. He's worried about getting pushed off the porch so he jumps from the 20th floor.
I don't get this.
Posted by Charlie Mas on April 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM · Report this
watchout5 29
I've only flown once since all this and passed the pat down. I threw my hands up "I'm not nuclear!" and skipped off. They just wanted to touch my nuts. They only want to touch them through pants though, apparently.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on April 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM · Report this
watchout5 30
More importantly the headline should read "suspected terrorist proved TSA wrong by doing everything in his power to prove he was no threat to anyone on that plane in any way shape or form". Not his fault. He just loved America too much.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on April 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM · Report this
@4: Portland's a Kyle Kinane lookalike contest, according to Herr Proops.
Posted by Hoyt Clagwell on April 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM · Report this
Cynic Romantic 32
@18 Take your shoes and socks off first.
Posted by Cynic Romantic on April 22, 2012 at 3:46 AM · Report this