Monday, April 16, 2012

No Pulitzer for Fiction This Year

Posted by on Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Everyone at the office is still pounding champagne and hugging over Eli's much-deserved Pulitzer win, but I have to note that the book world is currently up in arms over the fact that the committee awarded no Pulitzer Prize for fiction this year. The shortlist—Train Dreams by Denis Johnson, Swamplandia by Karen Russell, and The Pale King by David Foster Wallace—is a strong one, but the jury reportedly just couldn't agree on a winner.

The book blogosphere is naturally up in arms over this—the Pulitzer winner for fiction is a huge driver of sales for bookstores and publishers—but let's be honest: 2011 wasn't the best year for fiction. There were obviously some great books, but there weren't a whole lot of great Pulitzer books. The Pulitzer jury traditionally chooses a big-hearted, populist masterpiece for the prize, and quite frankly, I didn't read any of those kinds of novels last year.

Will in Seattle 1
Have to agree.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM · Report this
Gee, another Seattle publication won a Pulitzer this year. Pretty petty of the Stranger not to mention it.

(And yes, the Times story puts Eli's victory in the subhead and mentions it prominently. It was even "Breaking News" on the ST home page.

You stay classy, Stranger.
Posted by bigyaz on April 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Karen Russell was a student of mine at Northwestern, and clearly should have won. Despite, not because.
Posted by Chicago Fan on April 16, 2012 at 7:28 PM · Report this
GlamB0t 4
@2 I'm sure they will mention it tomorrow. Give the staff today to celebrate and go bat shit crazy, will ya?
Posted by GlamB0t on April 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM · Report this
michael strangeways 5
@2: What a killjoy. The Stranger (?!?!?!) won a fucking PULITZER PRIZE and you're butt hurt they didn't take time today to offer the Times a hearty, "Good show, chaps!"

They had more important things to do...like celebrate.

And, get the site back online.
Posted by michael strangeways http://www.seattlegayscene.com/ on April 16, 2012 at 9:18 PM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 6
@2, go whine in a closet, whiner.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on April 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM · Report this
I wish more awards were handled this way. Sometimes there is no Best Picture for the Oscars, IMHO.
Posted by adamsass on April 17, 2012 at 7:45 AM · Report this
Catherwood 8
I wonder if they'll have the balls to put "The Mirage" on the short-list for 2012. Matt Ruff deserves some major recognition for this book. (Don't know the guy, I just admire his writing.)
Posted by Catherwood on April 17, 2012 at 8:21 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
I must say I enjoyed seeing the front page of the Seattle Times this morning.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
rsmithing 10
The committee did manage to selet not one, not two, but three entries for the fiction category – and yet the award goes to none of them? Could this be a PR stunt? I've noticed more coverage of the prize this year (and, as a bonus, of the nominees) and actually blog about it at Pulitzer Prize – NOT! where I also link to this post. I'd really be interested to know your thoughts on this theory over in the comments. And of course, huge congrats to Mr. Sanders.
Posted by rsmithing http://rsmithing.com on April 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM · Report this
rsmithing 11
Posted by rsmithing http://rsmithing.com on April 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM · Report this