and Drunks

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Wednesday Morning News

Posted by on Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM

All Night in Oly: Lawmakers went bananas in the house and senate chambers as the Washington State Legislature toiled all night—thereby rolling into a second extended legislative session—to approve a supplemental budget that shores up more than a half-billion-dollar gap. The AP has the basics about a sticking point for state employee pensions. As the night pressed on, the Facebook posts got crazier and crazier. At this point," one wrote this morning, "I wonder whether it's worth it to go to the motel ... I'd have to check out almost as soon as I check in!" Another posted a pic and wrote, "My seatmate... snoozing between votes this morning following a 23 hour marathon floor session." And some were pointing fingers: "We couldn't adjourn by midnight last night because of the dysfunctional Senate—some Senators were throwing chairs at each other, no kidding!"

Dead: As of last night, it appeared that a bill allowing counties to raise motor vehicle excise taxes to fund transit was toast.

Shameless Jackassery: The Seattle Times has a big front-page story today about the First Hill streetcar. What does the public really need to know? Cars are under assault because bicycles are taking over:

Recipe for more road rage.
  • Recipe for more road rage.

Bicycle Bad, Car Good: Conservative politics found to be the result of "low-effort" thinking. Driver's only solution to hit cyclist!

Wait, We're Not Done Bitching About the Budget: Goldy threatens to "Go All Pam Roach," a local euphemism what we fear from a local senator with a penchant for packing heat.

You Know This by Now: Rick Santorum is out.

Danny Westneat: Catches up with the Catholic church's move to bring R-74 petitions into churches.

Ask a Stupid Question: "Do McDonald's burgers and fries belong in hospitals?" YES!

Theodore Gorath 1
Wouldn't put too much stock in the McDonald's/Hospital complaint. It was lodged by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, which is just the medical propaganda wing of the terrorist-supporting group PETA.

They just attack industries that use meat, they care nothing about people.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on April 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 2
If churches are going to participate in the political process, then they need to be taxed just like everyone else.
Posted by Bauhaus I on April 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM · Report this
DOUG. 3
Not only is the Seattle Times anti-bike, they are also anti-math:

"The project's most novel feature is a 10-foot wide, two-way bike lane on Broadway... [T]he bikeway is two feet wider than a pair of less safe 5-foot bike lanes..."

Apparently 2x5+2=10.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on April 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM · Report this
Gee, maybe the Seattle Times got that idea from the fact that four lanes for auto travel will be reduced to 2 in several locations, with no way to pass northbound streetcars, and/or the fact that 40% of street parking will be removed.

That sure as hell sounds like a war on cars to me. And with the route taking as long or longer than the same trip by bus, it also sounds like a war on plain common sense.

Posted by Mr. X on April 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM · Report this
TVDinner 5
I especially like this part of the Times article:
Another challenge, many years away, is a mixed-use redevelopment of Yesler Terrace, bringing eight-story buildings and up to 4,500 parking spaces, and related traffic, into an area already near saturation.

And who's defining "saturation," here? People in Bellevue? The reporter himself? /facepalm
Posted by TVDinner http:// on April 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 6
wouldn't a war on cars mean more exploding cars on the roads? I mean IT'S WAR!!!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on April 11, 2012 at 9:00 AM · Report this
Vince 7
Bring political petitions into churches and get protesters outside on Sundays. That's what I say.
Posted by Vince on April 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM · Report this
I want the names of the chair-throwing senators so that I can stop voting children into my local government.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on April 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 9
What happens when the ambulances have to race up to the hospitals? Do they have a special "medic" car on the trolley?
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM · Report this
First, I read the article. Its pretty balanced unless you're the SLOG which happened a year or so ago to DECLARE WAR on bike accidents. I can't stand the Times but really, SLOG is becoming the most polemic bunch of self-rightous Limbaugh-esque assholes sometimes. I bike all the time but I don't expect soccer moms with 3 kids in the minivan to not think a bike lane slows them down. It probably does. I would think they aren't going to be for bike lanes until there's a dedicated bike lane from their house to the kid's school. Work that middle ground, something constructive or go back to your unceasing relentless mockery of national politics. I used to love the slog too.
Posted by LiberatusQuirkus on April 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 11
@6: I don't know, although the annual "War on Christmas" features no exploding trees or nativity scenes, and the current "War on Women" has been quite devoid of exploding women, or even just exploding ovaries or uteri (uteruses?).

Maybe I just watch the wrong news though.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on April 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 12
Wars also used to have traveling USO shows too. Haven't seen any of those for these new wars. Or are they passe now that Bob Hope is dead?
Posted by Dr_Awesome on April 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM · Report this