Monday, March 26, 2012

Santorum for Number Two!

Posted by on Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM

A reporter for the Jesus News Network, or whatever, asked Rick Santorum if he'd be willing to serve as Mitt Romney's vice presidential nominee. Santorum's response?

Of course. I mean, look. I would do in this race as I always say, this is the most important race in our country's history. I'm going to do everything I can. I'm doing everything I can. I'm out there. In the last 10 months, I've had five days off. Two for Thanksgiving, and three for Christmas.

I've been working every single day. My wife and my kids, we're just busting our tail, because we know their future and all of our children's future is at stake in this election. And I don't want to be the guy who has to sit with my granddaughter, 20 years from now, and tell stories about an America where people once were free. I don’t want to have that conversation.

So Rick Santorum would be willing to be the bottom for a man he's described as a Massachusetts moderate and Republican-in-name-only who created the template for Obamacare. That's mighty big of him. What a patriot!

(Via Wonkette.)

UPDATE: Newt Gingrich "wouldn't say no" to the Massachusetts moderate if he was asked to be vice president, either. What big hearts these two have!

balderdash 1
Haha, wow.

I feel like this is something you could make a lot more hay of. There couldn't be a much starker distinction between professed and practiced beliefs... or a much clearer divestment of dignity in pursuit of power.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on March 26, 2012 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Wait, the 'moderate' they think will pull swing voters despite the fact that they slid all they way to the right in the primaries paired with the total nutbar religious fanatic that makes the dominionist base swoon but that terrifies/disgusts/amuses everyone else? Didn't that ticket already not do so well against Obama?
Posted by Beguine on March 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Two fronts to attack versus the wonder-pair for everyone who hates Obama...

I wonder how many people will like the party of the rich-guy religious nuts. I wonder how many blows each side will take before they destroy each other.

I hope the economy stays OK.
Posted by six shooter on March 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
Zebes 4
"That's right, little Judith, this country used to be great. This country used to be free. We could beat up all the fags we wanted, and nobody could stop us. Nothing like today... nothing like today."
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on March 26, 2012 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Please, please, please somebody ask him to describe, especifically, how Obama threatens his "freedom". Don't just let him throw that word around like it's implicitly obvious.
Posted by floater on March 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 6
are the birds free from the chains of the skyway, you stupid greedy ugly american deathsucker?
Posted by Max Solomon on March 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 7
God, Republicans are gullible. That grandpaw-talking-about-the-good-old-days line is as old as Reagan, and is twice as simple - minded.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on March 26, 2012 at 5:42 PM · Report this
Bigsfrottin 8
The man who wants his granddaughter to have no access to contraception and abortion services, is worried he might have to tell her of "an America where people once were free?" That makes a lot of sense!
Posted by Bigsfrottin on March 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM · Report this
Bigsfrottin 9
And if his granddaughter is a lesbian? It'll be so hard to tell her about how she used to not be able to marry her girlfriend....when people were free.
Posted by Bigsfrottin on March 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM · Report this
After the way they've behaved in this primary season, I think Romney would sooner have Barney Frank for a veep than either of those two putzes. Translation: no fucking way would he ask either of them.

I do think the Repugs are going to go back to the distaff well, possibly with someone a bit more respectable this time, like Kay Bailey Hutchison.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 11

Hah, great way to make yourself invaluable -- by proving that Romney can win the nomination with you or your entire constituency which, by the way, has become a complete liability since its full of racists, extremists and people out of touch with the status quo of 2012 America.

Mitt to Rick: No, but thanks.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on March 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM · Report this
@10, exactly. Romney's probably laughing about this.
Posted by sarah70 on March 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM · Report this
As if Mitt won't ditch these also-rans and his appeals to the far right faster than you can shake an Etch-A-Sketch. They know they're toast. Reporters ask that question every cycle of the non-frontrunner(s), and whoever answers in the affirmative has just conceded the nomination. Santorum and Gingrich just conceded the nomination.

Pure speculation follows: Mitt will pick a woman, not Palin, more moderate and literate. The GOP still needs their game change. If I had to give a name, Christine Todd Whitman. Whoever it is, though, I suspect it'll be a big "suck it up and vote for me anyway, bitches" selection for the right wing. You heard it here first, folks.
Posted by madcap on March 27, 2012 at 7:19 AM · Report this