Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Candidates Say the Dumbest Things

Posted by on Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM

1. Buzzfeed made a video of some of the very most uncomfortable moments from Mitt Romney's Fox News interview today. Romney manages to sound like an asshole while trying to defend his wealth, for starters. Then, he makes himself sound like a weak frontrunner, a flipflopper, and a third-rate George W. Bush impersonator. Then he gets the hook at the end from an obviously unimpressed Megyn Kelly It's quite incredible:

2. Rick Santorum knows how to get votes in Puerto Rico: You promise statehood. Unfortunately, Rick Santorum can't speak without offending some group or another:

"Like any other state, there has to be compliance with this and any other federal law," Santorum said. "And that is that English has to be the principal language. There are other states with more than one language such as Hawaii but to be a state of the United States, English has to be the principal language."

However, the U.S. Constitution does not designate an official language, nor is there a requirement that a territory adopt English as its primary language in order to become a state.

I think Santorum is leaving Puerto Rico with fewer votes than when he arrived.

ryanayr 1
Is he implying that Hawaii isn't a state?
Posted by ryanayr on March 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM · Report this
the Founding Fathers knew nothing of Hawai'i. The Constitution doesn't once mention Hawai'i. Clearly, it's not a real state.
Posted by Frank Rizzo on March 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 3
willard seems old - like in his late 60s. too old to be prez.
Posted by Max Solomon on March 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM · Report this
The USA ranks second largest amongst all the countries in the world where the population communicates in the Spanish language.
Posted by Fairhaven on March 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 5
That buzzfeed video of Romney didn't seem that bad to me. For instance, he didn't seem like an asshole (to me) when he was defending his wealth. I mean, no worse than usual, anyway.

Maybe you have to watch the whole thing, and there's no way I'm doing that.
Posted by Free Lunch on March 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM · Report this
the idiot formerly known as kk 6
How about this for Santorum: you can be a citizen, so long as you're not a shithead.
Posted by the idiot formerly known as kk on March 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM · Report this
California Kid 7
he sounded nervous and defensive. Not as assholish as he's been in the past, but certainly NOT presidential.
Posted by California Kid on March 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM · Report this
More and more, I am beginning to suspect that Obama will win reelection by the biggest landslide in US history.
Posted by TechBear on March 14, 2012 at 8:19 PM · Report this
That PR must speak English to be a state just cost him a lot of votes in Illinois. Lots of culturally conservative PR votes in Chicago are now looking at Romney again . . .
Posted by Chicago Fan on March 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 10
Romney really doesn't need to defend his wealth as Paul implies with his lead in:

Most Americans do not accept the fact that being wealthy needs to be defended in the first place, irrespective of the nuances about Romney.

Megyn Kelly was not going after Romney about his wealth, but rather his tin ear regarding sounding pompous: e.g. "two Cadillacs" etc. That was the question.

If we are against electing rich people for President, we wouldn't have supported John Kerry in 2004.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on March 14, 2012 at 9:55 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 11
@8: According to Wikipedia, that would have to beat Johnson's defeat over Goldwater in 1964. I suggest a re-calibration to match your enthusiasm with political reality.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on March 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM · Report this
Jubilation T. Cornball 12
@10 - or FDR or JFK or Washington or any number of other chief executives.
Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball on March 14, 2012 at 10:29 PM · Report this
Gospodean 13
I love how Santorum is whining that Fox News is "shilling for Romney." I don't think that word means what he thinks it means.

Posted by Gospodean on March 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 14
@13 Dude doesn't even know what "Santorum" means!
Posted by Sir Vic on March 15, 2012 at 7:24 AM · Report this
And yet every single one of the candidates signed a Tea Party pledge that statehood for PR would only be considered if 1)they adopted English as their only official language and 2) wouldn't be a BURDEN on the federal system.

Hey, Tea Party fuckheads, you know who else is a burden on the government? LITERALLY EVERY STATE YOU PIECES OF SHIT CALL HOME. Tell you what - stop taking $1.40 in support for every $1.00 you contribute in taxes, we'll work on getting those filthy Spanish speakers into line, mmmkay pumpkins?
Posted by Why do we allow these people in our country? on March 15, 2012 at 7:36 AM · Report this
What's all this talk about making Puerto Rico a steak? The next thing you know, they'll be expecting a baked potato and a salad, too!
Posted by Clayton on March 15, 2012 at 7:48 AM · Report this
Keekee 17
Dear Phoebe:
I do believe that Americans are starting to see the wealthy as having to defend themselves, and that you will find yourself on the wrong side of history again.
Posted by Keekee on March 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM · Report this
@10, @11: Class has always been an issue of American Politics. FDR WAS attacked for being rich and out of touch, so was JFK. Go look at newspaper article archives. I know it's gonna being really hard compared to glancing at a wikipedia. But I figure Phoebe is a good-ol' fashioned folk made of the purest modesty and going to her local library would the natural thing to do.
Extra point to @12, comparing Washington to any other president is fucking stupid. He wasn't up for election. The USA hadn't even formed a sense of self by then.
@17 as a mentioned, class has always played a part in American life, look at our literature. This becomes particularly true during downturns. Which happen every 20-odd years.
Posted by CbytheSea on March 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 19
@18: Yet FDR won re-election four times. There will always be class strife in any free society; that doesn't mean that overall that the bulk of voters will reject a candidate because of class.
You need to start being intellectually mature in your replies.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on March 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 20
Oops, that's re-election three times. And I was old enough to vote for him in 1944 myself.

BTW, I never mentioned Washington, CByTheSea. You should start re-reading posts before you reply.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on March 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM · Report this
New Mexico, celebrating its 100th anniversary as a state this year, has a constitution written in both Spanish and English, and officially and legally, the state is bilingual.
Posted by Sa-Spence on March 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM · Report this
@19. I thought we talking about the first time being elected, you know when people would care about non-record matters. But comparing two totally different concepts would be intellectually dishonest.
You are correct that Mitt's wealth won't lose him the election, his party's childishness and his lack of charm will do it for him.
Lastly, I'm emotional immature. That's why I'm a jerk. There's no such thing as intellectual maturity, unless we're talking about my math skills, ability to use grammar and sense of logic. Which could be argued, but I doubt in the context of our banter.
Posted by CbytheSea on March 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM · Report this
Big Matt G 23
@20

CByTheSea was responding to post @12 (which mentioned Washington) authord by Jubilation T. Cornball.

Perhaps you should start READING posts before you reply.
Posted by Big Matt G on March 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM · Report this
Big Matt G 24
@21 Right on, Hermano!
Posted by Big Matt G on March 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
@20. Washington was in reference to post #12. Who used him as an example of a wealthy president. I thought it was clear by my use of paragraphs and @ symbols. My apologies for being confusing.
Posted by CbytheSea on March 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 26
@25: No problem dear.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on March 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM · Report this
@26 just for future reference, I will continue using the standard format of Internet writing. I hope you will too.
It will save us time, face and confusion.
Posted by CbytheSea on March 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM · Report this
@26: You're 86?!?!?! Good on ya!!
Posted by bob2 on March 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM · Report this
Butbutbut. You've left my head spinning. I hate Megyn Kelly so much that this almost makes me feel sorry for Mitt Romney. My worldview is now shifted... Is up down? Is left right? Is Santorum human?
Posted by CogInTheMachine on March 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM · Report this