Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sarah Palin Says Barack Obama Wants to Take Us Back to the "Days Before the Civil War"

Posted by on Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM

This happened earlier tonight on Sean Hannity's program. Somebody please tell me what the fuck this woman is talking about. (But you get bonus points for using "codification," Sarah—that word-of-the-day calendar is already paying for itself!)

This is as close as I can come to a transcript of what she said:

Right, well, what we can glean from this is an understanding of why we are on the road that we are on. Again, it's based on what went into his thinking, being surrounded by radicals. He is bringing us back, Sean, to days—you can hearken back to the days before the Civil War when, unfortunately, too many Americans mistakenly believed that not all men were created equal. And it was the Civil War that began the codification of the truth that here in America, yes we are equal and we all have equal opportunities not based on the color of your skin. You have equal opportunity to work hard and to succeed and to embrace the opportunities, God given opportunities, to develop resources and work extremely hard and, as I say, to succeed.

Now it has taken all these years for many Americans to understand that gravity, that mistake that took place before the Civil War and why the Civil War had to really start changing America. What Barack Obama seems to want to do is go back to before those days when we were in different classes based on income based on color of skin. What are we allowing our country to move backwards instead of moving forward with that understanding that, as our charters of liberty spell out for us, we are all created equally.

Republicans tried as hard as they could four years ago to convince us that Sarah Palin was a great vice presidential choice.

Oh....wow.
Posted by Jude Fawley on March 8, 2012 at 11:41 PM · Report this
this guy I know in Spokane 2
Y'know, with her glamor, looks, charisma, and stage presence, it's fortunate that Palin is such an idiot. She could be really dangerous if she had anything intelligent to say.
Posted by this guy I know in Spokane on March 8, 2012 at 11:50 PM · Report this
Paul, you should know better than to engage in this 'gotcha' journalism what with your 'transcripts' and all.
Posted by aaronbrethorst http://www.viainstapaper.com on March 9, 2012 at 12:07 AM · Report this
Zebes 4
Wait, isn't she gonna piss a lot of folks off by suggesting the Civil War was about equality? I thought it was about State's Rights and Lost Causes and other finicky ways to sweep the dirt under the rug.

Also, either she's suggesting Obama wants to take away rights for black people (what?) or that he's trying to compromise the rights of white people (what????). Why does this woman get air time again?
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on March 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM · Report this
WTF? What the hell was that?
Posted by gnossos on March 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM · Report this
Where are her doctors? Someone intervene before she shoots up her high school please, we've seen far too much of this, she needs to go back into treatment.
Posted by DJames on March 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM · Report this
balderdash 7
The more she opens her mouth, the more convinced I become that she actually has a legitimate developmental disorder.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on March 9, 2012 at 12:43 AM · Report this
KennyFuckinPowers 8
Someone traded in the dirty librarian look for "trashy Jersey hooker."
Posted by KennyFuckinPowers on March 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM · Report this
Note to Repulsicans: For the love of god, please don't let her anywhere near the presidency!
Posted by fotoeve on March 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 10
.. yo..break that shit DOWN, sarah !
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on March 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM · Report this
Wow. Incoherent. Yet angry.
Posted by DMonaghan on March 9, 2012 at 1:28 AM · Report this
stuckie 12
This is as close as I could come to a transcript:

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh. . . people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over HERE in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children.
Posted by stuckie on March 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM · Report this
Rev. Adam McKinney 13
All I read there, and all I ever read from Sarah Palin, is bald panic. What an hysterically frightened person. When will we let her off the hook and stop making her speak in public? I guarantee she will be happier.
Posted by Rev. Adam McKinney http://weeklyvolcano.com on March 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 14

Actually, what I'm reading is that she's joined the Occupy movement, because she's essentially saying we've been turned into economic slaves...which are the 21st century equivalent of pre-Civil War slaves.

So she says, that the original slaves were also economic slaves, but based on skin color.

Now she says because we are economic slaves we really cannot fulfill the charter of "created equal".

This is probably the most radical thing a mainstream politician could possibly say.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on March 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM · Report this
Vince 15
She gets paid big bucks to spout gibberish. Who's stupid?
Posted by Vince on March 9, 2012 at 3:48 AM · Report this
Lurleen 16
She's reciting -- poorly -- the Tavis Smiley & Cornel West show.
Posted by Lurleen on March 9, 2012 at 5:49 AM · Report this
Yes, I'm sure Obama wants to take us back to a time where someone could buy and sell him and his family.

I don't know about anybody else, but I kind of enjoy Palin. It's like a perverse contest where you don't think she could say something dumber, but then she does and blows you away with her black hole of dumbassery. I wonder how she tops this one.
Posted by Bax on March 9, 2012 at 6:23 AM · Report this
Kinison 18
And the Republicans want to take us to the days AFTER the Civil War, where most African Americans were arrested on trumped up charges and rented out by the state to industry that still needed coal to mine and cotton to pick. Peonage (which was banned near the end of the civil war) was alive and well for nearly 80 years after the end of the Civil War. Not only that, but racial segregation was eventually endorsed by the freaking federal government! It took millions of pissed off African Americans to change all that and still theres alot of resistance to being treated equal.

Sarah Palin, once again, is living in a fantasy world where the end of the civil war magically brought peace and prosperity to millions of free'd slaves.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on March 9, 2012 at 6:36 AM · Report this
lets see now...class warfare...where some of us should pay a higher percentage of our earnings in taxes than others...based on? why income of course...so discrimination based on income is ok, but discrimination based on race is not...palin is right...obama wants to take us back to pre civil war days where we are all not equal before the law.
Posted by unreconstructed on March 9, 2012 at 6:56 AM · Report this
she's talking about cod-ification rather than code-ification. Sounds like she's in the pay of the fishing lobby.........
Posted by Foonken2 on March 9, 2012 at 7:05 AM · Report this
Allyn 21
Isn't that what her party has been doing to women - eroding rights and treating us as second-class citizens with fewer rights than a fetus?
Posted by Allyn on March 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM · Report this
GlamB0t 22
@17 I enjoy her too. I can't imagine what it's like to be on her "team" of people. They go over and over what she should say and all that sticks is: codification.

Also to clarify on Palin's way to be successful: God will give me opportunities after he develops resources for said opportunities and then I get to work hard to be a success?

Dear God, please get your resources together. Shake the dust off the Holy Ghost, call J.C., do something. We'll wait....
Posted by GlamB0t on March 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 23
@13 What's this "we," cowboy? Nobody I know EVER encouraged her to open her cake pit in public.

Grifter is a grifter, dude. For her public humiliation in pursuit of the big bucks, she has no one to blame but herself. She is John Galt, donchayaknow?

Although I doubt that the total number of pages of *all* books she's ever read equals the page count of Atlas Shrugged, so she's probably picked up the idea of her personal greatness by direct contact with Randroids, like scabies.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on March 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM · Report this
mkyorai 24
@19. 2/10 troll points. Try harder.
Posted by mkyorai on March 9, 2012 at 7:25 AM · Report this
haaaaahahahahahaaa! thanks for the laugh, ms palin. oh my lord and taylor. fox spreads dangerous propaganda--and the uneducated (read: closer to god, unlike the 'over-educated') swallow every last morsel of the lies. well, democracy, you had a good run. greece didnt last this long. framers rolling over in their graves is what's causing the little earthquakes all over the US...
Posted by bend_time on March 9, 2012 at 7:36 AM · Report this
bhowie 26
@19: Here's what I think I can decipher from your incoherent comment (Is Sarah Palin sock-puppeting on Slog???):

Taxing the rich is discrimination and as such is equal to discrimination against people of color.

There, see? It is possible to put together your thoughts and ideas (stupid as they are) and create an actual sentence that people can read.

Like @24 said, try harder.
Posted by bhowie on March 9, 2012 at 7:38 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 27
"Somebody please tell me what the fuck this woman is talking about"

Dogwhistle for "when people knew their place".
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 28
I watched it. Twice. She attempts to parrot some vague rightwing talking points, but fails. She is apparently incapable of forming a coherent sentence. She makes no more sense than a random word generator.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on March 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM · Report this
in-frequent 29
It's really stupid, but she is saying that "treating" people differently based on income is like "treating" people differently based skin color. It's pretty clear to me, and I can see why this argument would really, really appeal to her fan base. Especially the part that thinks afirmative action has gone to far. It allows her fan base to think they are better than the liberals, and leas hypocritical.
Posted by in-frequent on March 9, 2012 at 8:13 AM · Report this
I watched the whole interview. Both segments. For anyone intersted in knowing what she's speaking to: http://www.therightscoop.com/sarah-palin…

I'm guessing from the name of the site it's an evil conservative people's web site. I didn't care as much about that as I cared about seeing the soundbite provided in full context. The transcript for the 2nd segment is not up yet, only the first segment

And yes, that's on the definitely right slanted Fox, but there's a limited amount of bias that anyone can insert into either a video or a transcipt without altering the content, just don't read any of the commentary and you'll be untainted.

I watched the whole thing and read as much as was available because I wanted to understand the context in which she was making these statements rather than condemn her out of hand. That being accomplished, yes, she's still an idiot. Mainly because she's allowing herself to be used as a mouthpiece. But what she's speaking to is Obama's alleged questionable association with a controversial professor who made such statements as "I live to harrass white folks" "Even liberal white scholars...have to imagine they are not opressors" and spoke in favor of anti-Semitism." Which in itself is a non issue--how many of us are greatly influenced today by an association from 20 years ago?

In one respect Palin is correct (and I wonder who spoon fed that to her? As I said, she's unquestionably not smart, and I doubt very much that she came up with this on her own) This country is very much segmented. We are black or white or asian or hispanic or other, we are wealthy or middle class or poor or 1% or99%, we are boomers or genX or genY or millenials or any other compartmentalization that has been assigned to us. I would like to believe that this simple minded woman is speaking out in protest against that, in which case I would agree with her. But that is sadly not the case.
More...
Posted by catballou on March 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM · Report this
birdy num num 31
that made me feel as though i just took the biggest bong rip...she is wonderful.

barack obama wants to be a 19th century slave? i am confused.
Posted by birdy num num on March 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM · Report this
Simone 32
This stupid stuff that people like her say will continue to fuel the crazies that believe in conspiracies. She is an instigator of conspiracies alright.
Posted by Simone on March 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM · Report this
ferret 33
I have no idea what she is babbling about. “Codification of the Truth”??!?!?!??!? that is just word salad. It reminds me of people who don’t prepare for an oral report, and try to wing it, and go through the motions, but they have no idea that are saying complete gibberish.

I can decipher this as others have done, but it is truly gibberish.

My guess is that she did a one over on the talking points, and she is trying to stick to them, but she got lost. She truly doesn’t make any sense.
Posted by ferret http://https://twitter.com/#!/okojo on March 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM · Report this
in-frequent 34
okay .. i have to backtrack. she might actually be talking about race. ??? perhaps a reaction to the obama college video? or a setup for a reaction?
Posted by in-frequent on March 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
thatsnotright 35
She's essentially saying that white people no longer have equal opportunities because our mixed-race president has given all the power to people of color. She is supporting race war.
Posted by thatsnotright on March 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this
"What are we allowing our country to move backwards instead of moving forward with that understanding that, as our charters of liberty spell out for us, we are all created equally."

Wow. I think that sentence should be the first thing on the Sarah Palin Wikipedia page.
Posted by Cappelletti on March 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM · Report this
i'm pro-science and i vote 37
Pretty sure this is what she means:

Those who push for affirmative action do not treat everyone fairly/evenly, from the same level playing field. White racists and slave owners didn't want to treat everyone fairly either.

I don't know what she's responding to because I'm not going to watch this video. I don't want to throw my MacBook across the room I'd be tempted to with a video that features both Palin AND Hannity as they intentionally work to further divide this country with distortion and lies.

IF I'm right about what she's talking about there are so many ridiculous things wrong about it. First, we've had affirmative action for a while now. Second, slave owners had selfish motivations, those who want affirmative action want it for the greater good. Third, equating slavery in such a way.

Has Obama even mentioned affirmative action lately or done any action concerning it? I don't think he has (I could be wrong) but she has the tendency to pull random stuff like this out of her ass. As to other right wing alarmists who claim he's going to limit gun rights although he hasn't pushed for that at all in his 3yrs as president, despite all these crazy massacres we've been having.

Most Americans, when they hear this, will just think what a dingbat, what in the hell is she talking about. This must be a new way for right wingers to attack affirmative action, is to go by some wacky, broken logic that it takes us back to the 17th century if not further. To which most Americans will also think WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?! Right wingers have pretty messed up 'logic'. I mean these are the same people who will simultaneously call Obama a communist, fascist, socialist, secret muslim fundamentalist terrorist sympathizer, apologist peacenik. Oh, he's also an elitist snob who went to work as a community organizer right out of school instead of diving into wall street or becoming a corporate lawyer
More...
Posted by i'm pro-science and i vote http://www.prettyopenended.com on March 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
There are unmedicated schizophrenics wandering the streets and subways of New York, babbling nonsense and screaming things, who make more sense than that woman.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
the idiot formerly known as kk 39
@19: The federal income tax was authorized by the sixteenth amendment to the United States Constitution in 1913 and, as required under the Constitution, was ratified by the legislatures of 3/4 of the states. Not exactly "class war" stuff.
Posted by the idiot formerly known as kk on March 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM · Report this
The Civil War marked the moment of federalism's triumph.For her to imply that her ideology of states' rights and a weak federal government places her on the side of the winners of that conflict is just wrong; She and her husband will always be firmly in the secessionist camp.
Posted by Proteus on March 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM · Report this
TreGibbs 41
She's a TOTAL FUCKING MORONIC IDIOT. No Sarah, we all weren't born "equally", we were all born EQUAL.

God, this yapping Chihuahua from Wasilla needs to go back there and annoy the townsfolk and leave the rest of us ALONE.
Posted by TreGibbs on March 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM · Report this
@17 You know, once I convinced myself she has no real desire to hold public office, I started to find some joy in her ramblings as well.
Posted by J2012 on March 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM · Report this
"I don't know even know what that means."
"No one knows what it means but it's provocative."
"No it's not, it's revolting"
"It gets the people going!"
Posted by nbisht1 on April 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM · Report this