Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mitt Romney Calls Campaigning in Southern States "An Away Game"

Posted by on Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Well, this sure is a good first step toward personally alienating southern voters:

Asked whether he thought he could win a Southern state, Romney hedged.

"I realize it's a bit of an away game, but I also think we're going to pick up some suppor in the states that remain this month," he told to 100 WAPI Birmingham's Leland Whaley

Oooh! Oooh! Call them "those people" next!

I don't get it? Why this is such an affront?
Posted by tkc on March 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM · Report this
I was wondering the same thing as @1. Romney is a yankee, of course he's the outsider. Southerners wouldn't be offended by an acknowledgement of that fact. Speaking as a yankee living in the deep south, they actually appreciate it when you acknowledge that culturally, you are different from them.
Posted by Sheryl on March 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 3
Frankly the south is another country and those people really are "those people". I could actually agree with Mittens Romney on this one.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on March 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 4
I agree. I've spent a lot of time there, and it's still very much an "away game" for me, too.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on March 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
pfffter 5
Shit, I grew up there and it's an away game for me.
Posted by pfffter on March 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM · Report this
I don't think either Constant understands what "away game" means (surprise!). He was born in Michigan, was governor of Massachusetts. It's not exactly home ground for him.

You've got to really be search for crumbs to find an affront here.
Posted by bigyaz on March 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM · Report this
Sweeney Agonistes 7
He just gave them permission not to vote for him. This could actually be genius: as Allen Tullos puts it, the "sez-you" mentality of a lot of Deep South voters (Tullos refers specifically to Alabamians, but it also applies to Mississippians) means that it's fairly easy to manipulate them as an electorate; it comes down to reverse psychology. I don't think Romney's smart enough to employ that tactic, though.

Also: hey, @3, fuck you.
Posted by Sweeney Agonistes on March 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
@3: Moron.
Posted by bigyaz on March 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
seandr 9
"away game"

That's pretty funny. Although I'd never want to see Mitt as president, I actually appreciate his increasing candor.

"I'm running for office, for Pete's sake, I can't have illegals."

"You know, I’m not willing to light my hair on fire to try and get support. I am who I am.”

Posted by seandr on March 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM · Report this