Friday, March 2, 2012

Despite Seven or Eight Bigoted Moms, Archie Gay Marriage Issue Sells Out

Posted by on Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Robot 6 reports that the issue of Archie featuring the wedding of gay character Kevin Keller—which was a target of bigoted hate group One Million (Minus 999,993, Give or Take) Moms—has sold out. I bet the issue will go for a second printing sometime soon. My favorite part of the press release is this:

"Kevin will always be a major part of Riverdale, and we’re overjoyed, honored and humbled by the response to this issue,” said Jon Goldwater, Co-CEO of Archie Comics. “Our fans have come out full force to support Kevin. He is, without a doubt, the most important new character in Archie history. He’s here to stay."

Goldwater is prone to issuing great statements about comic books that kind of make you tear up a little bit. Here's his original response to the OM(M999993GoT)M boycott:

As I’ve said before, Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It’s an idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality someday. We’re sorry the American Family Association/OneMillionMoms.com feels so negatively about our product, but they have every right to their opinion, just like we have the right to stand by ours. Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate and narrow-minded people.

Good for Goldwater, and good for Archie Comics.

undead ayn rand 1
I'm so happy that it wasn't the "sells out" that I originally expected. That's very sweet.
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM · Report this
Lance Thrustwell 2
Yay for Archie and friends! And now the spirit of neo-Riverdale has come to Maryland. Let's hope the bigots don't win the next round.

An Archie classic:

Posted by Lance Thrustwell on March 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM · Report this
I love this line: "We’re sorry the American Family Association/OneMillionMoms.com feels so negatively about our product, but they have every right to their opinion, just like we have the right to stand by ours."

It so crystallizes the First Amendment. If the AFA/1MM truly understood freedom, they'd release their own comic series as an alternative, not try to shame or silence someone else's creative work. It's their right to bitch and boycott but it's a pretty ugly interpretation of freedom.
Posted by Lumpmoose on March 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM · Report this
Definitely challenging the social barriers.

Next, do you think Mr. Weatherbee will be outed as a ped?

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on March 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Dammit, those moms won! They wanted this comic off the shelves and that's exactly what they got. Wait, what?
Posted by Catastrophe on March 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM · Report this
I jus looked at a copy of that comic book cover online. It's bad enough that they're putting a gay marriage on the cover of a comic book meant for children, but that gay Kevin character married a black man, so it's not just gay marriage, it's gay misegenation. Well, at least they can't have any yellow babies. I have to explain that to my grandchildren every time I go to Wal-Mart these days. But it's not right for two men of different races to get married, I tell you. It's just not right.
Posted by seersucker suit on March 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 7
@6.. *giggle*...
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on March 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM · Report this
Knat 8
I don't think "we're sorry that you don't like our product" is the right phrase to use. It sounds a bit like an apology, which they absolutely shouldn't have to give to these bottom-feeders. I think "It's unfortunate you don't like our product" (or "It's unfortunate you're so Goddamn bigoted") would be a better choice of words.
Posted by Knat on March 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Eva Hopkins 9
As someone who has worked in comics for many years, & grew up reading some Archie comics, this pleases me very, very much.
Posted by Eva Hopkins http://www.lunamusestudios.com on March 3, 2012 at 6:22 AM · Report this