Wednesday, February 15, 2012

King County Assessor Lloyd Hara on What It's Like to Be the Guy Who Officially Said "No" to Gay Marriage Back in 1971

Posted by on Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM

He's responding to this history of the gay marriage fight in Washington State, which I also outlined here:

Picture_6.png

As Hara says: times have changed.

Vince 1
What a sweet story. Glad he could set the record straight.
Posted by Vince on February 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM · Report this
How darling!
Posted by gloomy gus on February 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM · Report this
michaelp 3
I think this continues to show that the most effective tool in the arsenal of gays and lesbians seeking equality is simply coming out. While it may not be easy for everyone, or safe, the ongoing thing I hear that has changed hearts and minds is people actually knowing someone - a child, sibling, parent, friend - who is gay, and who is effected by the discrimination of the State.

Just keep that in mind.
Posted by michaelp on February 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 4
See! See!!! His daughter got gay-married in Vermont, and as opponents have claimed all along, Vermont immediately slid off into the sea.

Oh wait... That didn't happen.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on February 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM · Report this
@4:

It would have to hop over New Hampshire to do that. The 6288-foot altitude of Mt. Washington would make that difficult.

But I see, and fully support, the point you're making. The presence of New Hampshire isn't the reason Vermont's still in place.
Posted by N in Seattle http://peacetreefarm.org on February 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Report this
@5 Stop trying to teach us east coast geography! Those states are so damn tiny!
Posted by Luckier on February 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Geni 7
Lloyd Hara is a pretty nice guy. I've had an opportunity to talk to him on several occasions, and I was surprised the Times dug up something so antique. I'm glad he wrote the letter, good for him for speaking up!
Posted by Geni on February 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM · Report this
MarkyMark 8
From personal experience, I know that Lloyd has many gay friends / acquaintances.
Posted by MarkyMark on February 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM · Report this
I've certainly never had any ill feelings toward the man. I would be honored to meet up with him sometime.
Posted by PaulBarwick on February 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Teslick 10
michaelp @ 3 has it exactly right. Personal experience certainly (I believe) has made the difference in changing minds.
Posted by Teslick on February 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM · Report this
I remember the movie "Some Like It Hot." In it, the idea of a marriage between two men was treated as something hilariously absurd. That was the attitude back then: same sex marriage was just... absurd. It took many years of questioning why we felt that way, and whether it really made sense, to get to where we are now.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on February 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM · Report this
Thanks Dad! You rock! We love you too and thank you for always, always supporting me and my relationship.
Posted by Daughter in DC on February 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this