Thursday, February 9, 2012

"How could I deny anyone the right to have that incredible bond with another individual life?" by Republican State Representative Maureen Walsh of Walla Walla

Posted by on Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Morning ruined by Republican Jay Rodne's remarks? Here, listen to what Representative Marueen Walsh (R-16) said at yesterday's gay marriage vote—about her dead husband, her sex life, her daughter's homosexuality, and the responsibilities of elected lawmakers—as Walsh became one of only two house Republicans to take a vote in favor of marriage equality.

Walsh's contact info.

Aww :)
Posted by Jamie in Pittsburgh http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/strawberry.limonade?ref=name on February 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM · Report this
Beautiful.
Posted by ohthetrees on February 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM · Report this
So many smiles.
Posted by GlassMoon on February 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM · Report this
Chef Thunder 4
Maybe the nice people at Babeland could send her a vibrator
Posted by Chef Thunder on February 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM · Report this
Each and every person should send her a thank you note for this.
Posted by dagard on February 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
One thing I can't figure out. Who let an apparently decent person into the Republican Party?
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on February 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM · Report this
@6, exactly what I was thinking.
Posted by sarah70 on February 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 8
She's 51 and looking for a boyfriend, that's 90% of Gay Seattle's situation too! No wonder she supports equality.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on February 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM · Report this
I sent her a thank you. I wish all straight people who are happy in their marriages, as she was, could see their way to being willing to share that opportunity with others. I really admire Rep. Walsh.
Posted by Alice Dreger http://www.alicedreger.com on February 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
@9 Why just the happy ones? I would think, if only out of pure spite, the unhappy ones should be willing to share, too!

(For the record, I'm one of the happy ones.)
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on February 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM · Report this
CO_Carmen 11
Oh, she made me cry! What a beautiful, heartfelt speech. Thank you for sharing this!
Posted by CO_Carmen on February 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM · Report this
Great. Crying at work again. I was so hoping I could get through one week without doing it, but no such luck.

Thanks for the video and thanks to Rep. Walsh for her incredibly moving words.
Posted by LimeLemminkäinen on February 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM · Report this
Maureen is the kind of republican we all need. We are proud to have her over on our side of the mountains. The Franklin County Republicans "censured" her over her vote on the Domestic Partnership bill. Didn't seem to hurt her re-election. They ran a ultra wingnut against her and they lost big time. Maureen is a great lady.
Posted by Bean on February 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM · Report this
Who started slicing onions in my office? Between that and the dust... *sniff*
Posted by Tawnos on February 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Fucking hard to see the keyboard as I just got some crap in my eye.

Wow Maureen! You really did it good. Kelly would be so proud of you.

I knew Maureen's husband Kelly and for several years we were good friends. I've only met her a few times, but she struck me as an intelligent warm-hearted person. And boy does that shine through here. Hooray.
Posted by gnossos on February 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Jessica 16
I sent her a letter as soon as her speech ended yesterday (and I was still crying from it), that was very brief and heartfelt, thanking her for her support. I then went out for a run, checked my e-mail an hour later, and she'd already responded. Awesome! Definitely let her know she's got support.
Posted by Jessica on February 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Geni 17
We used to have lots of that kind of Republican in this state, but the Ellen Craswell wing of the party rooted them out. We used to be really notable for how moderate most of our politicians were. Then the crazy people took over.
Posted by Geni on February 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM · Report this