and Drunks

Monday, February 6, 2012

Obama's Second Half

Posted by on Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

WSJ:

The Clint Eastwood ad during the Super Bowl is causing a stir in political circles.

Our colleague Steve Goldstein at MarketWatch writes at the Political Watch blog:

It could be viewed as a simple celebration of the recovery of bankrupt Chrysler. But the political overtones were easy to see as well: “Halftime in America” could be interpreted as a rallying call for a second term for President Barack Obama, who pushed ahead with a bailout of Chrysler and General Motors (read more on GM’s financial results on WSJ.com) despite objections from Republicans, including his likely presidential opponent, Mitt Romney.

A view from the left:

Filmmaker Michael Moore was a bit more direct (and apologies for the Twitterese): “Your sermon seemed 2 b a call 2 give O his ‘second half.’”

A view from the right:

“I think Clint Eastwood’s credentials as a conservative have been overrated for some time,” added David Limbaugh, the brother of Rush and himself a conservative author.

The ad itself:

Eastwood is not the only entertainment god helping Obama. Madonna's halftime extravaganza clearly added a bunch of jobs to the recovering economy:

Last week we learned that the economy added 243,000 jobs in January. Now we know that roughly a third of them were jobs in Madonna’s halftime show.

...In the old days, a football halftime show featured a marching band that awed and astonished the crowd by playing instruments while somehow not colliding with anything. Now, a marching band is just a tiny element of a much larger production with a Greco-Roman-Egyptian-Sumerian-Babylonian theme. Over-the-top is the baseline, and then you add elements, including potty-mouthed rappers, cheerleaders and a guy bouncing on a high wire.

I really wanted that bouncing man to fall. But my bad vibes failed to penetrate the screen and disrupt that cord just enough for the sudden slip into the history of embarrassment.

I didn't want to, but when I saw that video (on the dread Reddit, sorry Paul) I got all misty eyed and fuck-yeah-ish.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 2
If an ad promoting any kind of liberal viewpoint made it to the Super Bowl, I can only say that it's about fucking time.
Posted by Matt from Denver on February 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 3
What is wrong with Reddit? Set it up right and it's a constant stream of interesting stuff and news.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi on February 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM · Report this
passionate_jus 4
The borrow and spend conservatives are all anti American, BMW driving country clubbers anyway.

Obama saved the auto industry over the objections of conservatives like Mitt Romney (who were all fine with the bank bailout).

Obama will win Michigan and Ohio and possibly Indiana for this reason.
Posted by passionate_jus on February 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM · Report this
@3, Paul did a piece a couple weeks ago declaring it a cesspool, but nowhere is the dross easier to ignore, leaving me free to roam through more delightful items and comments every week than a decade of Slogs.
Posted by gloomy gus on February 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 6
Or, you know, maybe it was just a car company using psychological gimmicks in order to sell more cars.

It's an advertisement.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM · Report this
@4 Exactly. A lot of people are out of work in America today, but a lot more people would be out of a job if we had a Vulture-Capitalist-in-Chief instead of Obama.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on February 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 8

Perhaps more politically timely was the "Queen" falling through her own trap door.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM · Report this
TVDinner 9
I accidentally watched a bit of the halftime show while Pandora's Toddler Radio played on another profile on my computer. The sight of a bunch of Roman centurions and Madonna marching in step to "The Wheels on the Bus" was quite possibly the greatest unintentional mash-up ever.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on February 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM · Report this
passionate_jus 10
@2 In the NY and NE media market, viewers saw an ad for gun control with NY Mayor Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Menino.

Posted by passionate_jus on February 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM · Report this
SPG 11
re: "I really wanted that bouncing man to fall."

That's Andy Lewis, aka Sketchy Andy. He does that shit without a safety harness over canyons...

Posted by SPG on February 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Vince 12
It was the projectors and lasers that made the show.
Posted by Vince on February 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 13
The video presented neither a liberal nor a conservative viewpoint. It mentioned hard work and pulling together, conveniently leaving out that government was the means of pulling together, that tax dollars got spent and it saved jobs, maybe even a major industry.

Madonna's "I'm giving a blowjob" gestures during "Like a Prayer" really made the halftime show for me.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on February 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM · Report this
I really wanted that bouncing man to fall.

Are you such a loser that you want a total stranger to fail at doing something pretty remarkable? So then you're unhappy when he succeeds?

Definition of a failure.
Posted by bigyaz on February 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 15
@3 gus, exactly. It's a distilled internet. A quick glance at the worldnews section gives me more knowledge at lunch than a week of CNN or ABC News.

Also, narwhal, bacon, yes this is dog, etc.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi on February 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Zebes 16
I want to watch the ad, but they're making me watch an ad before I watch the ad and the ad doesn't want to work. The first ad, that is, I don't know if the second ad works because the first one is broken. So, I can't watch the ad for want of watching an ad.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on February 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM · Report this
lark 17
Good Evening Charles,
I believe this was an ad pure and simple. I have no problem with it. I don't believe it's helping or hurting Obama.I had no problem with the stimulus either. Eastwood supported McCain last election as I recall. Eastwood is a good guy.
Posted by lark on February 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM · Report this
and the bird will sing
after nubile wings
have frozen be still
the air they will till
a light alchemy
with no shadow bearing
a subtle flutter tarying like the winds will
Posted by terrible hethen on May 22, 2013 at 4:14 AM · Report this