Thursday, February 2, 2012

"And so I commend this bill to you today," by Republican Washington State Senator Cheryl Pflug

Posted by on Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM

This was absolutely the best speech of the night. Republican State Senator Cheryl Pflug of Maple Valley—one of the first Republican state senators to announce support for gay marriage—calmly and earnestly takes her conservative colleagues on a tour of American history, reminding them why the Bill of Rights was created in the first place, how this country's founders came here to escape governments that tried to dictate what was true and holy, and how "tradition" is often kind to the majority and not to the minority.

There is an almost Biblical cadence to the way Pflug delivers her remarks: "And many of our forefathers came to this land...", "And so our Bill of Rights was born...," "And then it grew...", "And so I commend this bill to you today because it is part of our struggle..."

There is also something wonderfully devastating in the way Pflug dismisses Republican Senator Don Benton's talk about how few gay people there are.

"I don't know how many gay couples there are," Pflug says, in a voice that has the almost whispered quality of a timid individual, but is in fact speaking words meant to flay. "It makes no difference."

A lot of powerful speeches were delivered last night. None was more quietly eloquent and perfectly sharpened than this.

Here is Sen. Pflug's contact info.

cazadorable 1
Fantastic speech. Also if you close your eyes it sounds like Dina Martina.
Posted by cazadorable on February 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Wow. Very nice. Bravo to her. Thanks for posting.
Posted by Christy O on February 2, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
Great, heartfelt speech. It starts around minute 67:36 in the video for those who don't want to watch the entire thing. ~
Posted by No Offense on February 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM · Report this
Sen. Pflug is as conservative as they come. When people from her end of the political spectrum are speaking so calmly and eloquently in favor of this cause, it gives me enormous hope. Bravo, Senator.
Posted by Smartypants on February 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM · Report this
switzerblog 6
@5 not just as conservative as they come, but has previously been as rabidly anti-gay marriage as they come. There literally could not possibly have been a more unexpected and fantastic speech to come out of last night. This is an amazing turn of events.
Posted by switzerblog on February 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM · Report this
No way was mine the best speech of the night - watch the others! Still, thank you for your generous assessment. I WAS pretty excited to see all the PFLAG lapel stickers in the gallery ... until I realized that they had spelled my name wrong! Rather than the honorary thing, it might be easier if I just changed my name.
Posted by CherylPflug on February 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM · Report this
Brava, Senator Pflug! My gay brother, who (in Madrid, Spain) is legally married to his Spanish husband (together more than 30 years), thanks you. I thank you.
Posted by Sarah in Olympia on February 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM · Report this
Barbara Tee 9
Yes, that IS an excellent speech!
"Calmly and earnestly"..... it is an example, I think, of a person being "inspired" by a worthy subject. It just gets to the point, with nothing extraneous. A model of communication. And, obviously, straight from the Heart, with no B.S.

Thank you, Senator Pflug! This will be remembered.....
Posted by Barbara Tee on February 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM · Report this