Thursday, January 19, 2012

Governor Declares State of Emergency Over Winter Storm and Perishable Milk Products, Readies National Guard

Posted by on Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

A public disaster.
  • "A public disaster that affects life, health, property, and the public peace."

Read the whole thing here.

UPDATE: Further explanation from the governor:

This is purely a precautionary measure. So far, we haven’t received any requests for state assistance—but we know weather conditions are rapidly changing. I want to make sure we have every resource available to ensure our communities are safe. This proclamation would allow us to activate the National Guard if we need to. It also allows state agencies to respond quickly to any storm-related requests from cities and counties for state assistance. A brief waiver of the restrictions on dairy truck drivers’ work hours is needed now to avoid shipment delays that could mean the loss of nearly $1 million a day for the state’s dairy industry.

GlamB0t 1
No words....my words have escaped me.
Posted by GlamB0t on January 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
How dare she cosset dairy products like this - you can bet if almond milk were threatened she'd be all, no, fuck YOU almonds, you belong in roca not hippies.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM · Report this
zombie eyes 3
Hey, the shit'll hit the fan if grade schoolers don't get their chocolate milk tomorrow. This is serious.
Posted by zombie eyes on January 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM · Report this
Banjax 4
I'm with gus.
Posted by Banjax on January 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM · Report this
Simone 5
I'm bummed that I can't get eggnog in the stores anymore.
Posted by Simone on January 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM · Report this
Free Lunch 6
The impact on transportation of milk products affects the public peace. So without this proclamation, we'd risk milk riots?

Meanwhile, my favorite lunch spot has been closed for three days. THAT'S a disaster. I want my lamb shawarma!
Posted by Free Lunch on January 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM · Report this
██ ████████ ██████ ██████████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██████████ ██. ███ ███ This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been removed
Posted by whatsbeckgottadowithit on January 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
He's right. If I can't have steamed milk with my coffee, someone's gonna pay.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on January 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 9
The Seattle Milk Riots of 2012 are imminent. Weather Channel just upgraded us to SEVERE WEATHER with red lines, and have the temps in Seattle not rising above freezing now until tomorrow.

I'd say head for the hills, but...
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on January 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM · Report this
To paraphrase The Simpsons: "Folks, I'm pleased to announce a new truckload of milk, with its smooth good taste and rich dairy flavor, is already heading towards Seattle and the driver has been instructed to ignore all stop signs and crosswalks."
Posted by jzimbert on January 19, 2012 at 10:15 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 11
I better still have butter tomorrow. I will not become Norway.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
Fnarf 12
The fuck? This is the only thing she sees fit to do, to make milk truck drivers work overtime? I'll be sure to stay well clear of any milk trucks I see on the road, knowing that the driver's been at the wheel for two days straight.

In the meantime, actual emergencies are happening all over.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM · Report this
You know this is ultimately about Washington's dairy farmers, right? Her making this declaration starts the process they might need if they end up losing a week (or more) of income, assuming the farms in question have federal disaster insurance. Darigold--a co-op that has a horrific environmental record in the state--has farms and rural pasteurization plants all over the place.
Yes, the National Guard line is nonsense, but it's part of the "federal disaster" nonsense that needs to happen for the farms to collect on their insurance.
Posted by alight on January 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM · Report this
Cows get milked on a schedule, without fail. The bulk tanks on the farm are only so big; if the milk truck can't get to the farm to pick up the milk, thousands of gallons of milk (worth multiple thousands of dollars) will get dumped at each farm until the milk truck can get there.

This is similar to what happened to the dairy farmers in the Northeast when there was flooding everywhere last summer.

You can make fun of it if it seems funny, I guess. But nothing about the waste of huge amounts of a food and farmers' loss of a huge amount of money is particularly funny to me.
Posted by Thisbe on January 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 15
I hope Comte located a cow already.

Washington has been dealing with snow and ice for hundreds of years, billions actually. Modern delivery and refrigeration and pasteurization supply chain problems are due to our more centralized methods, quite frankly.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM · Report this