Tuesday, January 17, 2012

1st CD Democratic Field Gets Less Hughes

Posted by on Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM

In a press release, Seattle tax attorney Andrew Hughes announced today that he was suspending his campaign for the newly redrawn 1st Congressional District seat being vacated by Representative Jay Inslee. Andrew Who?

“Despite the generous support and encouragement of so many, it’s clear the new district lines have fully removed us from the new First District. As such, I have decided to look for other ways to serve my community while working to make sure that a Democrat secures this now highly competitive seat. Continuing in this race would only further split the Democratic vote and open the door to a GOP-only general election, which we must avoid at all costs,“ said Hughes.

Yeah, well, first of all, it's not clear that Hughes lived anywhere near the anticipated district lines. His FEC report lists an Edmonds office address, now drawn into the 7th CD, but there's no evidence of Hughes being registered to vote there. Hughes Facebook page says he lives in Seattle, where he appears to have last voted in November, 2010.

Second, I don't think that Hughes continued presence in the race "would only further split the Democratic vote." Hughes, a political newcomer, liked to boast about the $141,000 he'd raised, but according to his last FEC report, $57,219.33 of that was his own money... coincidentally, almost exactly the amount of cash on hand left in his campaign coffers. Compare that to fellow unknown, Darshan Rauniyar, who reported $110,000 raised, only $600, from himself, and more than $99,000 cash on hand.

So no, I don't think Suzan DelBene, Darcy Burner, Laura Ruderman, Roger Goodman, Steve Hobbs and Rauniyar are breathing a collective sigh of relief at Hughes departure. Well, maybe Rauniyar.

Please label your links to the New York Times. Blind links are lazy and inconsiderate. Thanks.
Posted by No Offense on January 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM · Report this
way to give your ignorance top billing, asswipe
Posted by always lead with your ignorance...Journalsim101 on January 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM · Report this
Goldy 3
@1: Huh? There are no links to the NY Times. Only to the FEC.

That said, I find "blind links" as you call them, perfectly acceptable in blog posts. I see no purpose in cluttering up my prose with formalities that add no additional information (you can view the link by holding your cursor over it, or by clicking through). In fact, so-called blind links have a higher click through rate, so you could say it does the source a service.
Posted by Goldy on January 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 4
Goldy, while I don't know the actual number, I'm guessing a pretty respectable number of people read Slog on their smartphone at this point. Holding your cursor over the link isn't an option.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on January 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM · Report this
Suzan, not Suzanne.

But hey, at least you got your it'ses right in this one.
Posted by N in Seattle http://peacetreefarm.org on January 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM · Report this
Goldy 6
@4: That occurred to me. But you find the source when you click through. It's as more attribution than you get with an endnote, as it takes you directly to the source.

@5: I'd betcha I've gotten "Suzan" right I higher percentage of the time than I got "its".
Posted by Goldy on January 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM · Report this