and Drunks

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"What if we reworked the rhyme scheme so that your lines come to multiple feminine endings?"

Posted by on Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM

For your language-nerd approval, McSweeney's list of "Sexting Ice Breakers for English Grad Students."

For example:

“I’ve been examining your assonance all day.”

“Your analysis of Moby-Dick is so long and hard to navigate!”

“While the punctuation is grammatically correct, I could really go for a good interrobang right now.”

Try 'em. It could work! (Nothing's sexier than an interrobang, am I right?)

Thanks go to Hot Tipper Alithea, who also told me my favorite grammar joke: What's the difference between a cat and a comma? A cat has claws at the end of its paws, and a comma is a pause at the end of a clause. One million points for Alithea!)

This is stupid and I will kill any man who tries it on me.
Posted by kathy. on January 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this
nicholaus 2
I love the cat/comma joke!!!
Posted by nicholaus on January 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM · Report this
If you fix that comma joke quckly I promise to delete this comment, if only I could.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM · Report this
leek 4
I was an English grad student, and these barely made me crack a smile. Poorly played, Hollie Adams.
Posted by leek on January 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM · Report this
merry 5
Cat/Comma Joke for the win!!

Posted by merry on January 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Love the cat/comma joke, but shouldn't it be: "A cat has *claws* at the end of its *paws*, and a comma is a pause at the end of a clause."?
Posted by lotus eater on January 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM · Report this
@4: This as good a time as any to finally tell you, Leek: The grad students in all the other departments, arts AND sciences, agree that the grad students in the English department have the worst sense of humor. Weird: there's so much humor in literature, and so little in those who study it for a living (instead of reading it for fun).
Posted by Eric from Boulder on January 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM · Report this
leek 8
Eric: Ha! As if any grad students in any department can really lay claim to a sense of humor. It's been beaten out of them early on.

At any rate, I've been out of school for 9 years, so I've recovered enough to accurately assess the humor here. Negligible.
Posted by leek on January 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM · Report this
Leek: Congrats on your recovery. You're right the link in question isn't the most hilarious thing ever. On the same site there's this http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/im-co… which I like better. Comic Sans finally stands up to the haters.
Posted by Eric from Boulder on January 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM · Report this
blip 10
I hate this.
Posted by blip on January 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM · Report this
@3 & 6: Yes, duh, of course. DAMN IT! Fixed.
Posted by Anna Minard on January 4, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 12
You have a pluperfect associative adjective.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on January 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM · Report this
Uh, this shit is hilarious. Two or three were lame/obvious, but the rest both made me laugh and made me nostalgic for grad school parties.
Posted by Chicago Fan on January 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM · Report this