Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Eating Easter in January

Posted by on Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Dear Broadway QFC,

My cavities are craving conversation hearts, not chocolate eggs. Can we have a little respect for the seasons, please?

Please excuse my shitty cell phone camera.
  • These egg-shitting bunnies have really jumped the motherfucking gun.

Easter isn't until April 8. Trotting out Easter candy this early is like celebrating Halloween in July.

The Kroger in Blacksburg, VA had Cadbury Creme eggs out before Christmas. No shit. I thought I'd walked into a wormhole or something. Not sure I'm glad to discover this is widespread.
Posted by Leoba on January 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Pike/Pine - where they complain about the QFC's unfashionable displays, yet refuse to mount the escalator to Bartell's, whose Valentine candy display is a wonder.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Didn't you read the sign?

SPRING IS IN THE AIR.
Posted by ap0 on January 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Wicked Virgin 4
What makes you think these are for next Easter, and not from last Easter?
Posted by Wicked Virgin http://goo.gl/nBxVY on January 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 5
Meh. All the stores were decked out for Christmas in fucking September, so this is about right.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on January 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM · Report this
You must be looking at an outdated calendar. There are only 4 holidays now: Mother's Day, Father's Day, Independence Day and Spendmas, which lasts from late August until March or April.
Posted by jzimbert on January 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
angel in indy 7
Those eggs have just been taking up space in the stockroom since October.
Posted by angel in indy on January 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM · Report this
I thought it was just an anomaly in Wallingford's QFC, but I see that Easter has arrived on Cap Hill, too. WTF?
Posted by LaFemmeMonkita on January 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
Safeway on 15th too, since before Thanksgiving.
Posted by royalpigeon on January 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
Up yours Cienna! Easter is the BEST season for candy in a landslide and I fully support it stretching from January to the 4th of July! He [the Cadbury Bunny] has RISEN!
Posted by LukeJoe on January 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
treacle 12
Y'all should just thank your lucky stars we're not French. They 'believe' that the fucking BELLS OF ROME deliver eggs to the children of the (western) world. At least the possibility of an egg-laying rabbit exists (cf. platypus, ekidna), but bells? That's just sick.
Posted by treacle on January 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM · Report this
Centopar 13
Here in the UK, where Cadbury's Creme Eggs were invented, they're not a seasonal product. They're a year round, much-too-sweet egg-shaped chocolate which has nothing in particular to do with Easter. I'm terribly sorry that the rest of the world seems to be going the same way.
Posted by Centopar on January 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
Simone 14
I'll have to check out some of my local SUPER markets and see if they too are rolling out the early holiday candies. I never buy candies before the advertised holiday. Only after.
Posted by Simone on January 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM · Report this
McGee 15
@8 We do that on purpose so that obesity will kill you faster.
Posted by McGee on January 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM · Report this
Certainly! 16
I understand your point, and it's valid. But seriously, who would EVER crave a conversation heart? They're like chalk only bitter and somehow more chalky.
Posted by Certainly! on January 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 17
I see it's "Eggs are Here!" and not "Easter Eggs are Here!"

Looks like the war on Easter has begun. Until you sell chocolate crucified Christs, QFC, you won't see me darken your door.
Posted by Free Lunch on January 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 18
I agree with you in principle, but in practice it is never too early (or late) for Cadbury Creme Eggs.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM · Report this