Wednesday, December 21, 2011

John Chamberlain Has Died

Posted by on Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Unfortunately, I stopped looking at John Chamberlain's sculptures a long time ago. I mean, really looking. He made the same thing so many times, it became impossible to see it. He's one of those artists who gets locked into the one idea he happened upon early in his career.

Next time I see one, I vow to look, to see the car crash. I don't think any Chamberlains live in Seattle museums. SAM just has this curious, unpictured thing, a gift from Robert Rauschenberg.

the thing i’ve always loved about his work is the unapologetic macho swagger it expresses .. RIP John Chamberlain
Posted by olive oyl on December 21, 2011 at 4:53 PM · Report this
I like how his pieces progress with the surface/color trends of the 70s 80s and 90s. I bet in 2000ish he was doing all silver crumples; or he should've been.
Posted by porchedge on December 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM · Report this
if you really want to see a good 80s example, try the wright space.
Posted by porchedge on December 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM · Report this
@3: Ooh, good reminder! YES! The Wrights do have a Chamberlain. Let me call over and see if it's up now.
Posted by Jen Graves on December 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM · Report this
Saying he did the same thing over and over again and thus you stopped looking is a real jaw dropper, seriously?
I can't even begin to expound upon the stupidity of that remark...
Posted by northwest mystic on December 22, 2011 at 8:14 AM · Report this
justin347 6
i was lucky enough to catch his last show at gagosian, it was great. even after so many years he still did know how to make powerful, dynamic pieces.
Posted by justin347 http://www.justinmata.com on December 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM · Report this
Timmytee 7
Looks like the glass pieces by that guy who wants to make a museum in Seattle.
Posted by Timmytee on December 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM · Report this