and Drunks

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Color of the Year

Posted by on Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM

PantoneTangerine.jpg
You can relax: Pantone has released its pick for the 2012 Color of the Year, and it is "Tangerine Tango." (You may remember that last year's CotY was "Honeysuckle.")

“Sophisticated but at the same time dramatic and seductive, Tangerine Tango is an orange with a lot of depth to it,” said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®. “Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy.”

"Pantone's obviously behind the times," said the Stranger's own Bethany Jean Clement. Years ago she was lucky enough to meet John Waters, and he told her then that "orange is the new black." Take THAT, Pantone.

I appreciate you including the color in the article, but it strikes me that I don't really know what that color is supposed to look like. Every computer monitor is a little bit different, and as I drag my internet window back and forth between my two monitors, I see subtle shifts in the color: on the left, it's a little more orange; on the right, a little more pink. Normally, this isn't an issue for me; in casual- or work- use, I barely need to be able to distinguish red from blue. However, the totality of this article is the color. The entire goddamned point is what this color looks like, and my tools are failing me.

I need to get to SAM. The pictures of art on the internet, or in a book, just aren't the same thing.
Posted by Ruke on December 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM · Report this
I love that fucking color. Always happy to see a great new shade.
Posted by gloomy gus on December 20, 2011 at 11:56 AM · Report this
Either my monitor needs major recalibration or that color is seriously horrible. Like, bad 50s kitsch awful.
Posted by Warren Terra on December 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM · Report this
blip 4
That color is neither tangerine nor tango.
Posted by blip on December 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 5
I'm still stuck in the '70s with "avocado."
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on December 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
@1, get a Spyder monitor calibrator. They work wonders. No one who works with color should live without one, Mac or PC.

@3, there's a bit of 50s formica behind a drawer in our kitchen from before the 80s remodel that's just this color. And I have an Armstrong catalog from the 50s that absolutely pongs with this shade on every page.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM · Report this
rob! 7
I haven't been able to read flights-of-fancy color names without giggling since Paper Lantern and Opulent Opal came along.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on December 20, 2011 at 12:40 PM · Report this
merry 8
Dear God thank you for posting this!

I have been on tenterhooks.....
Posted by merry on December 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM · Report this
Did Speaker Boehner have any input into this selection?
Posted by Julian in Seattle on December 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Totally love that color, too!
Posted by hereiswheremynamegoes on December 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM · Report this