Monday, December 19, 2011

The Magical, Magical Google Image Search

Posted by on Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM

DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN DRAG AN IMAGE INTO THE GOOGLE SEARCH BOX?

For art lovers, this is huge. Go to Google Image search, drag a picture file of, say, a painting into the box, and you'll find out who made the painting, what it's called, and all sorts of info and links—just like what happens when you Google a proper name.

The other great art tool of the moment is Google Goggles. (It's a phone app.) With your phone, you can take a picture of a work of art—it works best with flat art, not sculpture or installation—and Goggles will Google the image for you. This past weekend, the Metropolitan Museum of Art announced it's plugging 76,000 images from its collection into Google Goggles. The Getty has done it already. Here's a demo.

Eastpike 1
I imagined myself using google goggles inside a museum, then I imagined being politely asked to stop by a nearby security guard.
Posted by Eastpike on December 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM · Report this
Allyn 2
"Google Goggles at the Getty" saying that out loud makes me feel like I'm mocking a baby.
Posted by Allyn on December 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 3
Make it into a Terminator/Borg/Robocop-style eyepiece, and you've got yourself a deal.

@2 - Take it to the Guggenheim.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on December 19, 2011 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Wouldn't it be easier just to read the little card next to the painting that tells you what is is and who painted it?
Posted by avocado on December 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM · Report this
stinky 5
This is sick! I dragged photos of colleagues into the box and learned a whole lot that I didn't know about what else they've done. Don't ye know- people reuse headshots in all sorts of places. Looking forward to see what results I get with pr0n stills.
Posted by stinky on December 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM · Report this
I'm scared. Soon I'll be able to take a furtive phone pic of the person sitting next to me on the bus and with facial recognition + search, I'll get back the person's name, LinkedIn profile, Facebook page, blog posts, blog comments (using writing-style matching), and dating site profile. I'm not ready to live in that world. But that's how it's gonna be, ready or not.
Posted by crater on December 19, 2011 at 3:56 PM · Report this
veo_ 7
Thanks for sharing this

Poking around on it I've discovered that a flickr photo of mine has been used HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS (and HUNDREDS!) of times by various health and supplement websites without notice or accreditation. It seems to be something of a standard, actually.

I'm both pleased and pissed off. I mean, hey cool my photography is out there, but no one has any idea who made it. Bah!
Posted by veo_ on December 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM · Report this