Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Newsflash: Wealthy White Man Rails Against Political Correctness

Posted by on Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Hey, look! Rick Perry is back on Brokeback Mountain—he changed jackets, though—and now he's talking about Washington D.C.'s "political correctness." Weirdly, the examples he uses (inappropriate relationships between senators and lobbyists, bankrupting Social Security) have nothing to do with political correctness. So what's going on, here?

"You and I know it's true," Perry says near the end of the ad, "but not politically correct." This is about as dog-whistle-y as politics get: Perry is making a direct case to poor white folks who think that a multicultural America is a sick America, that the fight for gay marriage is more about annoying straight people than giving a basic human right to a minority, that Christianity is the only religion that matters, that women shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the same rights as men. Political correctness has become a code word for people who want America to return to a time that never was, where the racism flows unchecked, women happily stay in the kitchen, and Christianity reigns over all.

It's this simple: Perry is trying to become the new David Duke. Happily, I don't think there are enough outright bigots in the Republican Party to hand him a victory, although I do expect his poll numbers to see a fair-sized bounce now that he's made a pretty overt plea to bigots everywhere for their support.

thatsnotright 1
What a hypocrite, many Perry staffers have gone on to be lobbyists and it is a long tradition in Texas to go from the state legislature in lobyng or private consulting.
Posted by thatsnotright on December 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM · Report this

My renovation plan for Detroit:

1. CNN and MSNBC both move their headquarters to Detroit and hire local blacks to run their cameras and IT departments.

2. SPLC also move its headquarters to Detroit and change its name to NPLC.

3. Michael Moore move to Detroit and mingle in the 'hood.

4. All US Congressional reps and Senators who support Affirmative Action be required to retire in Detroit. Most are millionaires. Their spending habits would boost the economy.

5. Alec Baldwin and every other leftist in Hollywood buy a home in Detroit and make it their primary residence.

6. McDonalds move its headquarters to Detroit as proof that it's serious about 365black.

7. All left-wing university professors and their brainwashed students like Paul Constant spend each summer in Detroit's 'hood helping out the disenfranchised Negroes.

8. George Soros redistribute his wealth to residents of Detroit.
Posted by My renovation plan for Detroit on December 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM · Report this
balderdash 3
Ah, now you see.

Perry has always been something of a contradiction, at least superficially. His supporters tout the debunked "Texas Miracle" economy as proof that he does things right, but the people who kept him in office never came from the economically healthy parts of Texas. The growth areas of Austin and Dallas are more liberal. Perry's support base has always been in the backwaters and the economically depressed, shitty parts of the state - parts where, having some relatives, I know firsthand people like to blame immigrants, New Orleans [racial slur]s, and "Washington liberal secularists" for their woes.

The truth of Perry has always been something darker than the run-of-the-mill stupid behind most of the Republican party.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on December 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM · Report this
At least they either fired or sobered up the cinematographer from the "Strong" video, so they're learning something, if not the most important things.
Posted by Warren Terra on December 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 5
Perry, please leave...follow Cain out the door.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on December 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 6
While I think Perry is a total and complete douche, I think you might be making an argument out of whole cloth here, Paul. The spot is making a play on *political* correctness, meaning making the bad acts of our politicians in DC correct through double speak and willful ignorance of what goes on there.

I love your extrapolation, but I think you're dog whistling up the wrong tree on this one.
Posted by Cracker Jack on December 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 7
"Ratings have been disabled for this video."

Now where's the sport in that?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on December 13, 2011 at 1:19 PM · Report this
rob! 8
As they say in Texas... "Bless his heart." I wish Ann Richards was still around to say it.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on December 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM · Report this
rob! 9
Or Molly Ivins.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on December 13, 2011 at 1:38 PM · Report this
Damn. I just don't get the same message you guys are getting. I guess I'm the wrong dog to hear the whistle, but what I'm hearing sounds like a bold attack on corruption. And he comes off like a man of integrity. At least, that's what's working on the face of this ad.

So, I have to rate this as effective, even if it is the ad of a laughable shmuck I have nothing but utter contempt`for. Whatever he paid the agency for this ad was well worth it. Damn. I could see people eating this up and liking him. This shit would scare me, if I couldn't imagine all the attack ads that would shred his ass like a cabbage if he got nominated. Rick slaw!
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on December 13, 2011 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 11
"Politically Correct" is often used in the same way people will say, "I'm not a racist, but....". In the South, you will hear, "I know this isn't politically correct, but those people.... ". That's not the way Perry is using the term here, so it's not really the dog-whistle it could be.
He may be playing for the bigot vote, but he just looks drunk in this spot.
Posted by Sir Vic on December 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM · Report this
laterite 12
Rob @8-9, you just depressed the shit out of me. Those two would have made Rick Perry look like a tick on a dog's rump.
Posted by laterite on December 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM · Report this
"A political outsider who will tell you the truth."

Even if this were true, doesn't he know that we don't want the truth? We HATE the truth. The truth makes you a wonk, or a defeatist, or any of a number of other pejoratives. Americans want to be lied to. Over and over and over again.
Posted by nullbull on December 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM · Report this
wow... perry is a performance artist???
Posted by drivel on December 14, 2011 at 7:26 AM · Report this
rob! 15
@12, agreed. Who do we have like that now? Maureen Dowd doesn't zing at that level. Rachel Maddow does pretty well.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on December 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM · Report this