and Drunks

Monday, December 5, 2011

Newt Gingrich Is Going to Have to Wait for the All-Important Herman Cain Endorsement

Posted by on Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Now that Herman Cain has suspended his campaign, everyone is wondering which candidate he will endorse. Of course, that kind of speculation is weirdly coy, as Cain picked Gingrich as his favorite before he ever ran for president, and the two have enjoyed a friendly relationship all through campaign season. Still, even Cain is pretending that he doesn't know who he'll endorse:

"I am not endorsing anybody today or in the very immediate future," he said. "I can't say I won't endorse, but not in the immediate timeframe."

But Cain added that he would eventually endorse. "It's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. I have a process in mind that I'm going to go through in order to determine who I could possibly endorsement... It won't happen today. Most likely, it won't happen this week. They can calm down about that expectation."

Either Cain will endorse Gingrich like everyone expects, or he'll endorse someone else and everyone will wonder what Cain had to gain out of endorsing that other candidate. None of this endorsement hoo-hah matters, really. Cain voters, by and large, are already siphoning off to Gingrich. (I think Gingrich's rise in the polls already owes quite a bit to Cain's slow-motion meltdown, frankly. We'll have to see if he can add to the Cain base in the next few couple of weeks to become a serious candidate, or if he'll melt down and Cain voters will migrate somewhere else.)

Will in Seattle 1
I'm waiting for the Colbert bump for Ron Paul.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM · Report this
Cain to GOP field: "You want an endorsement, right?"
Posted by butterw on December 5, 2011 at 3:51 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
I vote for whoever Barbra Streisand doesn't endorse.
Posted by dnt trust me on December 5, 2011 at 3:53 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 4
Cain can't endorse anyone. He has "suspended" his campaign, not ended it. Being in suspension allows him to spend the cash on hand in his war chest in anyway he wants. He probably also gets to keep that Secret Service detail that is costing tax payers thousands a day. Were he to actually bow out he would lose a lot of perks. He is a grifter just like Palin.
Posted by thatsnotright on December 5, 2011 at 4:45 PM · Report this
aardvark 5
I just woke up from a nap, in a rather clear state of mind. And then I read this. And I'm like, really? Is this really happening? Cain and Gingrich? Fucking people take this shit seriously?
Posted by aardvark on December 5, 2011 at 4:49 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 6
If he doesn't deliver the endorsement in 30 minutes or less, it's free.
Posted by Free Lunch on December 5, 2011 at 5:30 PM · Report this