Monday, December 5, 2011

Fox News Attacks the Muppets

Posted by on Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM

This morning, the Atlantic Wire showed...

...a clip of Eric Bolling on Fox Business discussing how The Muppets movie is anti-capitalist brainwashing...You see the astute thesis here is that, because the villain in the new Muppets movie is a mean old oilman named Tex Richman, the movie, which was written and made well before any of the recent Occupy unrest (and y'know is for children and stuff), is indoctrinating children to hate the rich.

Here's the clip:

How dare these liberal movies attack the oil industry, and promote sharing? This afternoon, the Twitter hashtag #GOPMuppethearings has blown up, with Twitter users imagining what a Republican-run congressional committee would ask of the Muppets. The results are pretty funny. And there are lots of them.

Teslick 1
I suppose Frank Capra is anti-capitalist, too. How many films through the years have used a rich guy as the "heavy"?

Why am I expecting any knowledge of history from FOX?
Posted by Teslick on December 5, 2011 at 1:29 PM · Report this
@nightoatmeal ”Well I believe that being green is a choice, Mr. The Frog.” #GOPMuppetHearings

Brilliant.
Posted by Zuulabelle http://www.mellophant.com on December 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM · Report this
Half of those are Sesame Street. It's like making fun of "Harry Potter and the Fellowship of the Ring", or "Star Trek 6: Return of the Jedi".
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on December 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Communism is pretty absurd, but if the Muppets are dirty Commies you can expect me to start saluting Lenin any day now. Whatever Fox News tells me, I do the opposite. It's just how I roll. Also, I say it's how I roll now, apparently.
Posted by NateMan on December 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
Sharing is Caring.

Unless it's the sharing of middle class tax dollars that the zero to half tax rate Millionaires and Corporations are doing.

That is Stealing.

Hint: Jesus was not on the side of the money-changers, Fox.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 5, 2011 at 1:38 PM · Report this
Um... @3 No, it isn't. Unless you're suggesting that Harry Potter had the same cast and crew as the LoTR movies and J. K. Rowling is Tolkien. Sesame Street has an overlapping cast of muppets with the Muppet movies (they're not identical, but do overlap and have cameos), as well as the same puppeteers, creators, writers, etc.
Posted by Zuulabelle http://www.mellophant.com on December 5, 2011 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Keister Button 7
Fox is obviously prejudiced against any excellence produced from movie studios at 1416 N. La Brea. Maybe this together with a 97% Rotten Tomatoes rating for "Muppets" set them off.

BTW Frank Capra was a big admirer of Francisco Franco and Benito Mussolini.
Posted by Keister Button on December 5, 2011 at 1:43 PM · Report this
COMTE 8
Well, you know, they said the same thing about poor, misunderstood Mr. Potter in "It's A Wonderful Life" too.
Posted by COMTE on December 5, 2011 at 1:53 PM · Report this
The Muppets has long endorsed porcine-amphibian sex, a nightmare out of HG Wells' most fevered imagination! And Statler and Waldorf, the 1%ers? Gay! Miss Piggy? A total drag queen, voiced by a MAN! Fox News is right to "attack" this filth!
Posted by Frances Oz on December 5, 2011 at 2:00 PM · Report this
Ziggity 10
Statler: "This show is horrible. At long last, have they no sense of decency?"
Waldorf: "I wouldn't know - I got rid of mine years ago!"
Posted by Ziggity on December 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 11
My school district's reading system used back in the 1970's made me hate the rich LONG before the Muppet movie. (Thank you Holt Basic Reading System!!)
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 5, 2011 at 2:03 PM · Report this
And now FOX is getting it's talking points from Adam Carolla.
Posted by sall on December 5, 2011 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Vince 13
Better brainwashed by Muppets than by all that Jesus bullshit.
Posted by Vince on December 5, 2011 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Agreed, Vince.

I'd trust the collection of experiences I can roughly identify as "Kermit The Frog" to tell me what is right before I'd trust *any* of the smug, soulless, incompetent humans in evidence on Fox News.
Posted by modrachlan srarmons on December 5, 2011 at 2:12 PM · Report this
scary tyler moore 15
it's not easy being pinko commie homo.
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on December 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM · Report this
Simply Me 16
Yeah, the Walt Disney Company is anti-corporate. It hates itself.
Posted by Simply Me on December 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 17
Fox News goes out of their way to support Israel. That's good enough for me, and the producers.
Posted by dnt trust me on December 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM · Report this
Dougsf 18
Taking a stand against the Muppets is like taking a stand against enjoying life.
Posted by Dougsf on December 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM · Report this
nseattlite 19
Cookies declared a vegetable, Monster rejoices. #gopmuppethearings
Posted by nseattlite on December 5, 2011 at 3:39 PM · Report this
Andrea is a skanky dumb bitch. The liberals should make a muppet character based on her to show young ladies what not to be when they grow up.

and LOL @ 10!!!
Posted by crinuendo on December 5, 2011 at 3:41 PM · Report this
It's about time. Fuckin' uppity muppets.
Posted by Spindles on December 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM · Report this

And how about this...

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Quick, hunt who ever said that down and crucify him.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on December 5, 2011 at 5:14 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 23
@22- Don't you know, the "Eye of the Needle" is actually a metaphor (unlike the rest of the Bible) for something only a little hard to get a camel through.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on December 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 24
@3- The non-human characters on Sesame Street are Muppets.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on December 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM · Report this
That host seems to forget that people have been telling stories about the underdog against the powerful since the beginning of story telling. The other way around is depressing and/or boring. I'd love to see his movie. A rich guy watching some people work, goes home, eats dinner and goes to bed. Scene!
I wonder what he thinks of classic tales like "David and Goliath" or even the American Revolution, which involved a bunch of people fighting the powerful.
Posted by CbytheSea on December 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM · Report this