and Drunks

Monday, November 28, 2011

Inside Occupy Olympia

Posted by on Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I guess the state troopers weren't kidding when they told me this morning that protesters would not be allowed to occupy the Capitol Building past closing time. But if you're wondering what kind of dangerous radicals the troopers had to deal with, well join me for a a quick video walk through from around 3 p.m. this afternoon, from after the rallies but before the Tasers came out.

Thanks, Goldy! This really captures the overwhelming size, diversity and positivity of today's main action. I was so pleasantly surprised to see such a wide range of activists and concerned people voicing so many unique grievances in such a united manner. I have some pretty good footage I'm working on editing, too. I'll be getting it up later.

I'm kind of shocked to hear about some of the police treatment this evening. I left at about 5:00, when police-protestor relations seemed to be going pretty well. I guess it just goes to show how fast even wonderful things like today can deteriorate when the police decide it's time to go.
Posted by Dr.Devo on November 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
Saw this on KOMO, KING and KIRO.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 3
"Three money managers in one of the country’s richest towns collected the biggest jackpot in the history of the Connecticut lottery after investing $1 dollar in a Powerball ticket."

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on November 28, 2011 at 11:17 PM · Report this
@1

The diversity is indeed impressive. The 8 people of color in the video (one of them a state trooper) are surely within the margin of sampling error of 3.6% of the crowd, which one would expect in a random selection of state residents.

Perhaps WA doesn't have the low minority turnout that's been noticed at other Occupy sites.
Posted by robotslave on November 29, 2011 at 2:02 AM · Report this
I saw this on livestream, where they actually had coverage up and running, unedited. Almost as though they wanted to show us the truth of the matter.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on November 29, 2011 at 6:31 AM · Report this
lauramae 6
This is great!
Posted by lauramae on November 29, 2011 at 7:22 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
@5 yes, true, but the MSM coverage was about as good as it ever gets.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM · Report this
'Mostly white' is the new 'diverse'? You guys are a riot of spin.
Posted by starboardhelm on December 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM · Report this