Thursday, October 27, 2011

Publishing Debases Itself for a Few Bucks

Posted by on Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I generally don't post book trailers on Slog. Most of them are embarrassing and packed with in-jokes, and if publishers want to advertise their books, they can buy an ad from The Stranger like everyone else. But this book trailer, for Snooki's Confessions of a Guidette, is remarkable because it features Simon & Schuster staffers debasing themselves to sell a schlocky "celebrity" novelty book. You can't look away from all the bad acting and shameless dumbing-down:

There was a director's cut of this trailer that I watched last night, but that was deleted by the user sometime between last night and this morning. It was basically the same thing, except it featured a few more minutes of interns and low-level S&S employees making fools out of themselves. This is what the slow, cancerous death of the publishing industry looks like.

orino 1
I am fascinated by the idea that these people think anyone who'd have any interest in a book by Snooki can actually read...
Posted by orino http://www.scootinoldskool.com on October 27, 2011 at 12:25 PM · Report this
Snookie isn't even Italian, she's like, persian or something.
Posted by sonder on October 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM · Report this
Fnarf 3
Anyone want to hazard a guess on how much of this "book" was written by Snooki? She's falling down drunk most of the time; I doubt she could even narrate an "as told to" at this point.

Snooki will be dead or on "Celebrity Rehab" (or both) by 2015 at the latest. My money's on 2013.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 27, 2011 at 1:20 PM · Report this
GlennFleishman 4
Please, Paul, this might be an extreme example, but publishing a book that sells is precisely the foundation of book publishing. Did anyone get any insight from Bill Clinton's book? No. And the industry bowed down before him, paid a huge advance, and it sold in the millions.

The problem for Snookie is that her fans don't read. I'm not being snarky (or Snarkiee), but as @1 points out: it's just not the demographic. They buy magazines, not books.
Posted by GlennFleishman http://blog.glennf.com/ on October 27, 2011 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Vince 5
It doesn't surprise me that fake celebrities write fake books. It surprises me that you're advertising such schlock, though. For shame.
Posted by Vince on October 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 6
I toughed it out for 47 seconds. Please tell me those glasses are self-parody.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on October 27, 2011 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 7
*shudder*
Posted by Reverse Polarity on October 27, 2011 at 3:28 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 8
I'm more annoyed publishing-wise with Amazon letting people spam wikipedia articles as "books"

Posted by undead ayn rand on October 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM · Report this