Thursday, October 27, 2011

Now Look

Posted by on Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:42 AM

A Slog Tipper (thanks, Jennifer!) just sent us a costume that is creepy-gross-sexist in a different way from Dr. Howie Feltersnatch, M.D.: Anita Waxin. Damn, frat guys have such good senses of humor.

I have another thing to say about Halloween costumes. I'm with Dan that Halloween is essentially straight pride day, and humans should go with their sexy selves.

But I would also propose that if you are a person who finds yourself casting a judgmental eye at cleavage every other day BUT Halloween, you have no right to show yours on Halloween.

If I see your sexy on Halloween, I wanna see it at least some other days, too. And I don't want to hear your prudish bullshit the rest of the year. Unless prudish bullshit is, like, your kink.

Max Solomon 1
Are these sold by a company run by "frat guys"?
Posted by Max Solomon on October 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM · Report this
seandr 2
frat guys

I love how feminists can't stand the idea of men fraternizing (GASP!) with other men.
Posted by seandr on October 27, 2011 at 10:50 AM · Report this
Heterosexuality has definitely gone "into the closet" especially in places like Seattle.

The majority ethic is a kind of "asexuality" designed to offend no one...it's corporate mores (IBM beat John Lennon with "no religion" as I found out when I was assigned to prepare a "Holiday Flyer" for their offices in Pittsburgh long ago) designed to make all customers happy.

Witness the recent scapegoating and outcasting of the Stoddens -- especially due to Courtney's sexy Hee Haw outfit -- from the pumpkin patch. Crime: Being Too Hetero-Sexy.

So it has to appear only in disguises...so as not to upset the "muted group".

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on October 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM · Report this
alithea 4
i feel like that costume company should be paying me royalties.
Posted by alithea on October 27, 2011 at 10:58 AM · Report this
seandr 5
Here's creepy-gross-sexist frat boy Dina Martina pulling off a similar misogynistic gag. This isn't funny and it has to stop!
Posted by seandr on October 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 6
Just watch your mouth if someone who isn't very sexy dresses sexy anyway - you might just be labelled as some kind of -ist person if you do.
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM · Report this
Fnarf 7
There is NOTHING FUNNY about dressing up for Halloween. This is SERIOUS BUSINESS. If your costume doesn't reference the pain inflicted by the patriarchy or the role of the socialist vanguard in mobilizing the proletariat, you are committing a thought crime and should be made to stand in a bucket of excrement.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 27, 2011 at 11:17 AM · Report this
blip 8
@2 Feminists are not the only ones who use 'frat guy' as a pejorative. It has nothing to do with men fraternizing, rather a distaste for the specific culture of fraternities. Whether that is a stereotype, and whether that stereotype is valid for all fraternities is another matter, however the term 'frat guy' has a very distinct connotation.
Posted by blip on October 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 9
Good point, @ 8. Maybe @ 2 took that one personally.
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 10
Cat suits for the win if you're female.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
@7 for the Chia Troll win.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 27, 2011 at 11:32 AM · Report this
samktg 12
Now I'm curious, what was the costume that was creepy-gross-sexist in a different way from the gynecologist costume?
Posted by samktg on October 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 13
@ 12 - the "Anita Waxin" costume. (It's a different hyperlink than the one for the phrase "Dr. Howie Feltersnatch MD," but may look the same since they're concurrent.)
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 27, 2011 at 11:47 AM · Report this
schmacky 14
I'm very confused by this post. You start with a ridiculous accusation of sexism over a harmless gag costume, then go on to impugn those who would "cast a judgmental eye" on non-Halloween cleavage. You do see the contradiction there, right?
Posted by schmacky on October 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 15
I never got the idea of adults wearing costumes. I suppose it's to make you feel sexy but shouldn't you feel sexy anytime you want to without having a special day or costume to do it?

Besides, I don't need to play dress up to get laid. So it's always seemed a waste of time and money.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 27, 2011 at 12:42 PM · Report this
holy shit, the stranger goes through this every year yet the biggest party's are on the Hill. WTF!!!???? Why does anyone give a fuck, its Hallow-fucking-ween, your supposed to dress up like whatever you want and have a good time. I'm supposed to feel bad because I dress up in a douchy costume or a slut(for women)?? Fuck you! Just because your mommy and daddy took all your candy and spread it out over a fucking year don't come at me for acting a fool. Fuck you, fuck the stranger, and I'll be the drunk asshole on pike dressed like Jesus pissing everyone off. Peace!
Posted by g2000 on October 27, 2011 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Also #15 I have a feeling that people that are dressing "sexy" on Halloween also dress sexy when they feel like it the other 364 days of the year. I'm shocked when the stranger can promote a Dick costume party at Club Z but poo-poo a girl in a mini skirt and cleavage, were all adults here...OK I'm off my soapbox, too much B-12 today
Posted by g2000 on October 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM · Report this
seandr 18
@15: I never got the idea of adults wearing costumes.

As an android, I'm incapable of feeling emotion, so don't take my word for it, but I think it has something to do with what humans call "fun".

I've also heard that Halloween is the one time of year that adults get to take their costumes off and be who they really are.
Posted by seandr on October 27, 2011 at 1:39 PM · Report this
sikandro 19
I'm dressing up like Will in Seattle.
Posted by sikandro on October 27, 2011 at 1:40 PM · Report this
kitschnsync 20
Really, Jen Graves? Are you trying to perpetuate the stereotype of feminists as humorless harpies?

If so, good work.
Posted by kitschnsync on October 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Irena 21
I really disagree with this post. I love the idea of a woman who's normally very prim and modest wearing a fantastically sexy costume for Halloween. It's the one time it's totally appropriate to get wild and try on a whole new demeanor for a night. So what if she dresses conservatively the rest of the year? That's her business.
Posted by Irena on October 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM · Report this