and Drunks

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Batmanning

Posted by on Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Um... here's hoping Batmanning catches on in Seattle... and that every last local who takes up this extreme(ly pointless) sport looks as good doing it as these boys do. Yow. (Via Towleroad.)

And, yes, you saw this days ago, we're so slow, we're so clueless, we'll probably just get around to posting a Keyboard Cat video to Slog sometime next week, the Internet is a race and we lost and you won.

Them there college boys need to be tickled tickled tickled.
Posted by gloomy gus on September 3, 2011 at 9:10 AM · Report this
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on September 3, 2011 at 9:42 AM · Report this
That couldn't possibly be more apt, rob! How delightful. Thank you.
Posted by gloomy gus on September 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 4
...here's hoping Batmanning catches on in Seattle...and that every last local who takes up this extreme(ly pointless) sport looks as good doing it as these boys do. Yow.

The chances of this are fairly good since one would have to be about....hmmm, twenty max to even want to do it, and after a certain age everything younger than twenty-five is cute just because it is. Those of you not of a certain age will have no idea what I'm talking about. But you will.

And I guess I should add this so that I don't sound like a troll. One can admire youth and gaze at it and remember it fondly without hankering for it. Just sayin'.
Posted by Bauhaus I on September 3, 2011 at 11:29 AM · Report this
I would have done that when I was in college.
Posted by Learned Hand on September 3, 2011 at 11:37 AM · Report this
Schmapdi 6
It's all the retardedness of planking, but with the added danger of falling directly on your neck!
Posted by Schmapdi on September 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM · Report this
Holy idiotic fad Batman!
Posted by Spindles on September 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM · Report this
That's gay.
Posted by steakhaus on September 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM · Report this
As a Purdue alum, I want to point out from experience that it is a fantastic university, but a semester stuck in the middle of nowhere in Indiana with little to do can make you a little batty. Evidently, very batty.
Posted by Daniel K on September 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM · Report this
straight male humor is shitty
Posted by bleepinbleep on September 3, 2011 at 2:00 PM · Report this
eclexia 11
Having lived many years in Urbana, just up the road from Purdue (shout out to HAL and Roger Ebert).... One of the keys to having a great time at a "nowhere" place like this is the ability to make your own entertainment.

As I explained to many newcomers, "it's a lousy place if you want to go out and see a band, but a great place if you want to go out and start a band."

Big tip of the hat to these guys for the "stone soup" talent for taking a lovely day with nothing to do, and turning it into solid fun.
Posted by eclexia on September 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Cool. Imitating animals is one of the oldest and most universal forms of entertainment and/or religious expression--it might go back hundreds of thousands of years. Nice to see a rare, and possibly new variation on the theme.

I wish they had included dismounts from the 'free-hanging' position--without a wall or fence, the whole process would be even more dangerous.
Posted by Functional Atheist on September 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM · Report this
Gee whiz! I hope no one gets the idea to do this off a 13th floor balcony railing at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale while on spring break after having too much to drink. That could be dangerous.
Posted by Piano Tuna on September 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 14
I just hope it doesn't spread to Australia where I live. I don't want my tax dollars paying for their care when they become paraplegics.
Posted by doloresdaphne on September 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM · Report this
Fred Casely 15
Yet another reason the tucked-in shirt must remain out of fashion.
Posted by Fred Casely on September 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 16
Yum.

That is all.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on September 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM · Report this
College students are a cowardly, superstitious lot.
Posted by James Hutchings on September 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM · Report this
So what? I imitate Batman all the time. In fact I'm sitting in a dark, damp room brooding and looking stuff up on a computer right now.
Posted by James Hutchings on September 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM · Report this
jackdee 19
@6 Dying while planking is just not cool enough anymore, it seems. Yay for Batmanning?
Posted by jackdee on September 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM · Report this
Posted by seatackled on September 4, 2011 at 2:17 AM · Report this
Alanmt 21
would hit
Posted by Alanmt on September 4, 2011 at 6:11 AM · Report this
Mrs. DePointe 22
heheheh I went to Purdue! I know those places!

Batmanning is pretty hilarious, but nothing compared to seeing the physics department's motorized couch driving around campus. When I was attending, back in 05 or 06, a couple of my friends actually helped create it. And it was just a ratty old blue couch. Someone must have added all the duct tape later...
Posted by Mrs. DePointe on September 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM · Report this
@18: Marry me.
Posted by renbot on September 4, 2011 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Jubilation T. Cornball 24
I think it would be fun to fuck their brains out.
Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball on September 5, 2011 at 8:27 AM · Report this
You know, if planking goes bad, you've already effectively fallen down anyway. Am I the only one who sees this as a potential epidemic of cranial injuries?

On the other hand, with all those antibiotics and prenatal care, we have to let something weed the gene pool before idiots breed.
Posted by Lymis on September 6, 2011 at 5:22 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 26
@24
I concur!
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on September 6, 2011 at 8:51 AM · Report this
That's Ben Lins and friends. His videos are amazing. Take a look at linsbrothers on YouTube.
Posted by Chuck480 on September 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM · Report this