and Drunks

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Terrible End to a Terrible Movie

Posted by on Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I left something important out of my review of Seven Days in Utopia, and it is the ending, which is why I originally left it out. But it is also the most interesting part of the film, and the rest of the film is not worth seeing, so it doesn’t seem hideous to tell you about it.

At the very end, after Robert Duvall’s character has released Lucas Black’s character from tutelage and sent him to a golf tournament to fulfill his dream (after Duvall converts Black to Christianity by touching his face, making him bury a piece of paper with all his “lies” on it, and telling him to “chisel [his] living epitaph” by literally carving his own mini-gravestone), Black faces the putt of his life. If he makes this shot, he’ll beat a super-famous golfer and win the game.

He takes the shot, and as the ball rolls toward the cup, the camera pans up and away from the green, with a cheesy voiceover from Duvall saying something to the effect of “Does it really matter if he wins?” Because, you know, he's found God, so who cares? And then it goes to a black screen that reads: “To continue the journey, go to www.DidHeMakeThePutt.com.”

It’s multimedia proselytizing! Or, I'm assuming it's proselytizing—it could just be a video of the putt. The site isn’t up until the movie's released tomorrow. I'm on pins and needles!

vavavarooooom 1
I read 'Lucas Black' as 'Lewis Black' and this movie seemed WAY more interesting.
Posted by vavavarooooom on September 1, 2011 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Dougsf 2
What's great about that whole scenario is that even if these people were real, and he'd remained an empty, Godless golfer, it still wouldn't make a difference if he made the putt. Any golf fans remember who placed higher than Tiger in the 2007 Masters? I doubt it.

They must've known they had a crap movie on their hands to bother with this sort of cross-platform advertising hoopla. Even in lowlier forms of art like film making or novelty t-shirt printing, displaying a URL is toxic.
Posted by Dougsf on September 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM · Report this
Did everyone at the screening audibly groan? I would have.
Posted by JonnyH on September 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM · Report this
This movie sounds like a really shitty vesion of "Cars."
Posted by shiftyeyedog on September 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM · Report this
Saw it yesterday, and the audience laughed first, at the post-script, then applauded! Yes, it was an attempt to get folks to realize what's really important in life. I walked out thinking, this could have been about anything that's popular, or, that people devote their lives to. But the point was, what makes a difference? What has significance? What makes for a better world...better people? I think it was trying to say: think bigger than that. Aim higher than normal. Give more than you take. Look beyond yourself.
Posted by OKMAN on September 6, 2011 at 4:40 PM · Report this
This is an incredible movie which can't be appreciated or comprehended by sick people with closed, hate-filled minds. How terribly sad. Try to learn something outside of your grimy little world of uneducated, foul-mouthed, tattooed,metal-pierced, green-haired freaks, if you can find some time between the latest "protest movement".
Posted by UP YOURS on February 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM · Report this
Enjoyed the movie
Posted by Troy Quinn on February 29, 2012 at 9:37 AM · Report this
Evaluating the above review and comments, I would say that most of you have been nourished on the cinema of B grade fast moving thrillers, scantily clad figures and meaningless special effects. You need to study the films and directors (Capra, John Ford and others) of the golden age of cinema in order to develope an appreciation for the cinamatic communication of values that transcend the flawed and sometimes twisted perspective of our culture.
Posted by BENEDICT on March 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM · Report this
Thought it was a good movie.... Of course it didn't have all the sexual inuendo or
Violence most movies this day.... This movie is of diciples spreading the Word.
Just as with the movies of T&A , violence and such, you can choose not to watch.
Just because you don't agree with the message, does not mean its a "crappy
movie. If you didn't get the message it was promoting, then you were not
meant to.
Posted by Flitemedic on March 31, 2012 at 4:36 PM · Report this
Well lets see, it doesn't have a lesbian couple,it doesn't have a man marrying a man, I guess it must be good. I enjoy not being assailed by the queer groups all the time. I also enjoy good entertainment. and this movie is just that, without hammering me with some ones progressive beliefs. Thanks for a good movie guys..
Posted by duffer on April 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
You missed the whole point. It's not about the game. It's about God. He's above the game, above our dreams and above what we want to do for us. That's the point. Make him the goal. Make him the dream and make him your life.
Does sound like a sermon? Good...it's an awful good one.
Posted by lindee56 on June 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM · Report this
You missed the whole point of the movie. It's not about the game of golf. It's about God. He's the focus, he's the dream and he's your life. No it's not that simple to trust in him or be what you called "converted". It's a way of life and how you live it.
It doesn't matter if he made it...he was changed forever.
Posted by lindee56 on June 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM · Report this
A great movie. What Hollywood can do when they desire to. Great movies always touch people's hearts and this one shines true and bright. For the rest of their lives and on into eternity those who participated in this film will look back with a feeling of gratitude. Robert Duvall is nearing the end of the trail and I'm glad he had this opportunity.... and was wise enough to take it.

And what manner of men ought you to be? I say unto you...even as I am
Posted by 4evertruthseeker on August 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM · Report this
A great movie, what Hollywood can do when they so desire. Great movies touch people's hearts and take them beyond this world to a better place, and Seven days in Utopia does exactly that. As he nears the end of the trail, I'm glad Robert Duvall had the opportunity to be in this film.... and was wise enough to take it.

"What manner of men ought you to be? I say unto you.... even as I am."
Posted by truthseeker4ever on August 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM · Report this
It's like looking through a glass darkly (Biblical reference). If you don't have the vision to see then perhaps you're blind to the truth. The kind of clarity Duvall's character presents is one that is often gained through strife, disappointment, and pain. If you can tap into theirs you may not have to suffer so much of your own before you to see the light.
Posted by lenniejusticet on August 18, 2012 at 12:42 PM · Report this
a movie promoting Callaway caps and trying to make us believe in the make believe
Posted by Allan Illman on September 16, 2012 at 7:33 PM · Report this
Thanks for your christian views. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is a buddhist chant.
Posted by Kenericnichols on December 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM · Report this
What does it really matter if he made the put or not. If you are open to Gods calling, knowing that everything is through him in him and with him. The put honestly does not matter. Look more at it this way. If he missed the put he is then tied and again the hole would have to be played. With God no hole, no cup, no ball. Just truth through him with him and in him. May you see the movie for what it is teaching and not the stupid golf game. God bless and take care.
Posted by godlead on December 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM · Report this
Great movie! I bought the bootleg version in Latin America and had no idea what it was about, but I'm glad I watched it. Grant it, I'm not a fan of golf so there were some boring parts, however I like the out-of-the-box analogies the mentor used to instruct Luke. I like feel good, spiritually charging movies that remind me about what matters in life. It's encouraging. It may not be the greatest movie compared to Hollywood blockbusters, but that's not what they were aiming for anyway. They were aiming to make a movie that would glorify God & encourage others to invite God into their lives. Bravo to the courageous hollywood actors who bravely took on these roles.
Posted by JessiC on January 9, 2013 at 9:37 PM · Report this
such a great movie! continue to do this kind of movie that will encourage and how we see, feel and trust God in any aspects of our lives. God bless everyone.
Posted by rhob on January 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM · Report this