Thursday, September 1, 2011

Never Before at Bumbershoot!

Posted by on Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Ludovic Morlot: Sex, lies, videotape, and symphony, people!
  • Ludovic Morlot: Sex, lies, videotape, and symphony, people!
This year, I'm actually excited to go to Bumbershoot. I have only a dim memory of this sensation, and I am loving it! Yesterday, I wrote about one of the shows I'm looking forward to, Bumber by Number. There is yet another: Symphony Untuxed.

This is the first time Seattle Symphony has ever played Bumbershoot. (Tickets.)

And this isn't the Seattle Symphony of the last 26 years—this is the Seattle Symphony of the future. It's led not by longtime music director Gerry Schwarz but rather by a 37-year-old Frenchman named Ludovic Morlot, who in certain pictures bears a resemblance to James Spader.

Morlot will take the stage at 9:45 pm Sunday as his first public concert since he accepted the job. But in addition to conducting, he'll sit down and play his violin. The program is music by Philip Glass, Anthony DiLorenzo, Vivaldi (the Double Violin Concerto, on which Morlot will play), Seth Krimsky (a new piece for electric bassoon), and Tom Johnson's lovable Failing: A Very Difficult Piece for Solo String Bass, to be performed by Joseph Kaufman.

Thank you in advance for not boring the hell out of those of us who love the art of music, regardless of what it's called, who plays it, what they wear, or the venue.

Failing: An insipid, one-joke, gimmick which if the music were on its own would be unlistenable garbage.
Posted by Dave M on September 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM · Report this
CripKev 2
FYI ... this is NOT the first time Seattle Symphony has played Bumbershoot. They played at least once before (late 80s, early 90s?). Do your research.
Posted by CripKev on September 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM · Report this
@2: Breathe. Both Bumbershoot and the Seattle Symphony have billed it as a first-time performance. So whether it's true or not, I don't think she necessarily had reason to assume they were lying to her.
Posted by But I am le tired on September 1, 2011 at 1:23 PM · Report this
Cut it out you hecklers. It all sounds great and likely has little relationship to anything that happened @ bumbershoot 20-plus years show.
Posted by hitchcock on September 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM · Report this
I meant, 20-plus years ago.
Posted by hitchcock on September 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Seattle Symphony played at Bumbershoot in: 1983, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 and 89 at least. In the old Opera House. Verified through minimal Googling, my memory, and consulting the 1983 poster on my wall.

Yes, I am old.