and Drunks

Thursday, August 11, 2011

It Gets Better: Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, Storm

Posted by on Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM

From the press release:

The four major professional sports teams in Seattle have joined together to create a video message for the "It Gets Better Project." Players from the Seattle Storm, Seattle Sounders FC, Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Mariners are featured in the video, which was posted today on YouTube, the individual team websites, and was submitted today to www.itgetsbetter.org. The participating players are center/forward Lauren Jackson and forward Swin Cash of the Storm, forwards Mike Fucito and Roger Levesque of the Sounders, wide receiver Mike Williams of the Seahawks, and relief pitcher Brandon League and infielder Brendan Ryan of the Mariners.

"As far as we can tell, this is the first time a community's professional sports teams have joined together to take a stand on this important issue. We are proud to be part of it," said Chuck Armstrong, Seattle Mariners President and COO.

rinohog 1
I wish a women's sports team would make a video.
Posted by rinohog on August 11, 2011 at 9:45 AM · Report this
@1: Isn't the Storm women's basketball?
Posted by aurora f on August 11, 2011 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Vince 3
Who's left for making a better future for our youth? So many people have added their voices! But somebody is missing. Somebody who doesn't want it to get better? Somebody who wants to lead this nation?
Posted by Vince on August 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM · Report this
@2: yeah...and Lauren Jackson and Swin Cash are most definitely women.
Posted by gnossos on August 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM · Report this
Lola, Missing Iowa City 5
I think it'd be hard for the closeted members of the Storm to participate in this vid.
Posted by Lola, Missing Iowa City on August 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM · Report this
Right on - better late than never. With 164 active players on the four teams, special thanks to the seven who participated in the video.
Posted by gloomy gus on August 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM · Report this
I am so proud of this city's sports teams!!
Posted by Sarah in Olympia on August 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM · Report this
Collin 8
Good for them for acknowledging that coming out to friends and family might not be safe.
Posted by Collin on August 11, 2011 at 10:22 AM · Report this
merry 9
That is completely awesome! And dang it, I can't view YouTubers at work! But it would probably make me cry anyway...

@ 5 - There are closeted members of the Storm??
Posted by merry on August 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM · Report this
Tingleyfeeln 10
I don't think any of the Storm are closeted. I think we just don't talk about it and assume most of them are lesbiens. None of which matters to me because a)I don't care; b) the media don't care who they are screwing; and c)womens sports are so opposed to any sexual objectification of their athletes that none of that stuff would have a chance anyway. Hell, they get their panties in a big enough bunch when one of them poses nude in her home country.
Posted by Tingleyfeeln on August 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM · Report this
seatackled 11
Cool!

There's something weird about that group shot at the end. Were they really all there, or were they greenscreened in?
Posted by seatackled on August 11, 2011 at 10:52 AM · Report this
@3 I hear they call them Republicans...

I especially like that they acknowledge that sometimes LGBT teens simply can't trust they parents, peers or teachers to help them and that they might need to reach out to outside organizations.
Posted by Lynx on August 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM · Report this
Speaking of the green screen at the end, I have two thoughts.

A) 1 Seahawk and he is not in the last shot? Hmmmm? Football....

B) Levesque and Fucito are wearing jeans! Haha!
Posted by Devin on August 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 14
It was a nice touch that they were able to integrate all four pro sports teams in this video, including the Seahawks. This definitely raises the bar.
Posted by Gern Blanston on August 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM · Report this
rinohog 15
*more I wish more women's sports teams made videos.
Posted by rinohog on August 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM · Report this
I'd love for the sports team in my city to do this. In fact I'd love if any of the sports teams in my city made a video. Minus the rapist douchebag of a quaterback.
Posted by moosefan on August 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM · Report this
leek 17
I'm always bummed when more well-known team members choose not to participate, nothing against Brandon League and Brendan Ryan. Ichiro! C'mon!
Posted by leek on August 11, 2011 at 12:53 PM · Report this
The Storm also had their own all-Storm video that was shown at the last game I attended, with more than just LJ and Swin participating. It was very well received.
Posted by meganc on August 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM · Report this
Arrrrggggghhhh

It gets better, unless you're a professional athlete. If you're a professional athlete, it gets worse. Until you retire, then it might get better. But only if you didn't make any friends during your career, or don't mind losing them.
Posted by Ben on August 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Tingleyfeeln 20
@17, the real question is if Ichiro's batting average gets better next year!
Posted by Tingleyfeeln on August 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM · Report this