Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Gold Star Comment: Michelle Bachmann's Eyeballs Edition

Posted by on Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Regarding the Michelle Bachmann Newsweek cover (click to see the photo), commenter Pmasp just made me laugh for an hour:

bachmanncomment.jpg

Related (via the Daily Beast): Newsweek released some outtakes from their Michelle Bachmann cover shoot, and, to no one's surprise, ALL of them are TOTALLY CRAY-CRAY BANANAS. Yaaaaaaayyyyyy!

dwightmoodyforgetsthings 1
The woman just has crazy eyes, what can you do?
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on August 10, 2011 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 2
Oh my gawd, #4 is disturbing.
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on August 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Dougsf 3
One Bachmann fan...“Well, I’m sick of all them other politicians that tell me what to do with my life,” she answers. “Something about her tells me to follow her.”

This is the sort of reasoning that is the heart of the problem.
Posted by Dougsf on August 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM · Report this
rara avis 4
Whoa @ pic #6. Those shoes with that suit?!? Either Michelle picked out that outfit or Marcus is totally, 100% straight.
Posted by rara avis on August 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Zebes 5
I'm stationed next to a co-worker that has KIRO news talk on all day long, which features Republican crank Dori Monson from 12 to 3, so I get to listen to Mr. Monson bitch and moan. (Right now he's complaining about Patty Murray.)

Mr. Monson contends that calling Michelle Bachmann "the queen is rage," and using a crazy-looking photo of her, is sexist.

Sexist! Showing a crazy-looking picture of someone who is, in fact, crazy looking, and perhaps actually crazy, is sexist. You're all sexist for not liking Michelle Bachmann, I hope you can live with yourselves.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on August 10, 2011 at 1:45 PM · Report this
@2: I was going to comment on #4 as well. She's staring into my soul!
Posted by suddenlyorcas on August 10, 2011 at 1:46 PM · Report this
@4, that was my first thought. Those shoes are a huge mistake, and even worse she looks likes she's wearing hose with them. Hose with open toes = fashion don't (unless you're being ironic, which she isn't).
Posted by Donna on August 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM · Report this
prompt 8
Okay, I actually looked at those pictures - and holy shit. I know this sounds like hyperbole but those are some creepy lifeless eyes. It's like there's nothing driving them; it's just blank and eerie. Ugh. I need to wash myself. People want her in charge of things? Ugh.
Posted by prompt on August 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 9
I actually thought #4 wasn't terrible. It's at least better than the terrifying, hungry look they used for the cover.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM · Report this
Stiny 10
Pmasp just insulted my cat. Unless s/he's implying that Bachmann looks like a mouse trap, or a hawk.
Posted by Stiny on August 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM · Report this
r.chops 11
only one L in michele.
leave off the extra L for looney.
Posted by r.chops on August 10, 2011 at 3:10 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 12
Obviously, the pod people got to her. I wonder what they did to the real Michele Bachmann.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on August 10, 2011 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Oh, to be a fly on the wall where Newsweek editors discussed which image to use on the cover.....

She's kinda freaky in just way too many ways.
Posted by Sexist, Maybe. Certainly An Odd Choice on August 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM · Report this
stinkbug 14
I just pretend she's Zooey Deschanel's mom.
Posted by stinkbug on August 10, 2011 at 3:47 PM · Report this
oh, THAT 15
Let's talk election strategy: We should be supporting Bachmann at every opportunity ,,, and Swift-Boating Romney. He's the only nut wing candidate that has any chance against Obama. Bachmann will be mincemeat in the campaign and soooo much fun to watch.

Posted by oh, THAT on August 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM · Report this
Geni 16
@10 - I assumed it was referring to a snake. She is extraordinarily reptilian in those photos.
Posted by Geni on August 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM · Report this
Geni 17
And who did her hair in #5? Vandals?
Posted by Geni on August 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Brody 18
@5, didn't KIRO get bumped off the air a year or so ago, by ESPN? I just assumed that Dori Monson was bartending or something, these day

Newsbeast is just awful, now. As awful a tabloid as anything on the supermarket rack.
Posted by Brody on August 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM · Report this
Bachman looks even wackier than the freaky Delta woman in the preflight instruction video.
Posted by StuckInUtah on August 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM · Report this
stinkbug 20
@18: You're getting things a bit mixed up. KIRO 710 AM is now ESPN. "Old skool" KIRO moved over to FM awhile back. That's where you'll find bill radke, luke burbank, coast to coast, dori, etc.
Posted by stinkbug on August 10, 2011 at 7:50 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 21
@19, I'd rather have her than the CEO of United doing the same thing on their flights now. Man, is that guy light in the loafers or what?
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on August 10, 2011 at 8:36 PM · Report this
Brody 22
@20, who would listen to AM crap on FM? Weird.
Posted by Brody on August 10, 2011 at 11:06 PM · Report this
AmyC 23
@19 OMIGOD, the delta preflight instruction lady is the FREAKIEST HUMAN I HAVE EVER SEEN ON A TV SCREEN.
Posted by AmyC on August 11, 2011 at 6:34 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 24
I guess I'm the only one who thinks the cover pic looks like a fair representation of a 55 year old woman who hasn't been a smoker. No heavy makeup, no airbrushing or other obvious re-touch. If you see the old photo of her as a high school cheerleader, she has the same vacant eyes even then. It is a very natural picture of her. It is the opposite of Palin's sexy running shorts pic, which looks totally fake.

I'd be willing to bet that she originally thought it was a good pic. She obviously posed for these shots. Only when people started taking a negative reaction to it did her people start to criticize Newsweek. If you're expecting honesty from someone who is clearly a shill, you're always going to be disappointed.
Posted by Sir Vic on August 11, 2011 at 7:46 AM · Report this