Thursday, August 4, 2011

"It's a beautiful day for tattoos in the park."

Posted by on Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 3:23 PM

So says Jack Cunningham, a tattoo artist from "everywhere" who's in Cal Anderson park right now—next to the basketball courts—tattooing Loyalty and Betrayal onto the forearms of a gentleman. Cunningham says it's his first time tattooing on Capitol Hill. And in a park. He doesn't have a tattoo studio—just a gun, some ink, and a cd on the ground (which he's dumping the ink onto)—but says he's in Seattle today "representing Tacoma and all of the suburbs."

Jack Cunningham, tattoo artist.
  • Jack Cunningham, tattoo artist.

"The parks should be honored to have us," he says when I ask why the fuck he's tattooing a man in a public park. "It's a beautiful day for tattoos in the park."

Loyalty vs. Bravery
  • Loyalty vs. Bravery

...and he can just rinse off his equipment in the reservoir! Perfect!
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on August 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Just a gun, some ink, a cd on the ground, and one needle. Who is next?
Posted by sall on August 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM · Report this
lindsey 3
this is comparably horrific to that "tattoo school" bullshit on TLC. *shudder*
Posted by lindsey on August 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM · Report this
Nutsy 4
Oh god, no. This is the sort of crap that hurts the images of legitimate, professional tattoo artists, who have been working against said image for years. Infection, anyone?
Posted by Nutsy on August 4, 2011 at 3:42 PM · Report this
Fnarf 5
Seriously, what is wrong with you guys's cameras?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 6
@5, I take all photos with my cell phone, which is why they look like they were shot underwater by drunk fish.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on August 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM · Report this
It's a beautiful day for Hep C in the park!
Posted by suddenlyorcas on August 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Oooookay. I know who my artist is if all the legit places say I'm "too drunk" to serve.
Posted by sahara29 on August 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM · Report this
Queen of Sleaze 9
Wow... Just... Wow. Ugh.
Posted by Queen of Sleaze on August 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 10
SPF 50 my man
Posted by Max Solomon on August 4, 2011 at 3:55 PM · Report this
Rotten666 11
NO NO NO NO NO.
Posted by Rotten666 on August 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM · Report this
merry 12
Hey, can we get some piercers set up over by the fountain, too?

Because that would be RAD.
Posted by merry on August 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 13
The novelty and my love of ink is not enough to get around the grossness of this.
Posted by undead ayn rand on August 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM · Report this
ingopixel 14
Ahhh, a lovely afternoon in the park, fly new ink and a fresh staph infection. It must be Thursday!
Posted by ingopixel on August 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM · Report this
This can't be legal.
Posted by milleribsen on August 4, 2011 at 4:07 PM · Report this
TVDinner 17
I'd love some hepatitis, thanks!
Posted by TVDinner http:// on August 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Yeah... the guy's not even using gloves. I doubt he has a license.
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on August 4, 2011 at 4:21 PM · Report this
Relax guys. It's not like he's on a slack line. Sheesh
Posted by sall on August 4, 2011 at 4:22 PM · Report this
COMTE 20
Let me guess: on top of everything else that's completely wrong with this, he's running his machine off an old motorcycle battery or something, right?
Posted by COMTE on August 4, 2011 at 4:38 PM · Report this
No, no, no I wanted a tattoo of the word "Hepatitis" not Hepatitis.
Posted by stuck in boston http://www.nothing.com on August 4, 2011 at 5:32 PM · Report this
Geni 22
MRSA on a sunny day - what's not to love?
Posted by Geni on August 4, 2011 at 5:34 PM · Report this
McGee 23
Disgusting.
Posted by McGee on August 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 24
Way back in my enlisted days, we were warned not to get tattoos in third world countries. The warning, of course, was often ignored. I know at least two guys who ended up needing skin grafts from the resulting infections.

Here's hoping Mr. Loyalty/Bravery doesn't require skin grafts in a few weeks.

PS: I'll tag Fnarf. While I enjoy the writing and blogging of the Stranger, your photography is universally abysmal.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on August 4, 2011 at 5:50 PM · Report this
Fnarf 25
@6, I know, darlin', and so do I, but my white balance isn't THAT far off. Nobody's is. You have to do that on purpose, I think.

And even if it was, it's a one-click fix in Photoshop.

It makes me want to come down there with my Spyder and fix all y'all's monitors so you can see it. You obviously can't now.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM · Report this
the idiot formerly known as kk 26
Every once in a while I question Sloggers, but then reading through the comments on this one . . .

I stand in unity with all who feel utter revulsion at this.
Posted by the idiot formerly known as kk on August 4, 2011 at 11:38 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 27
The white balance might be set to indoors rather than auto.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on August 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 28
That's my guess too, Rob. The color temperature's way off.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on August 5, 2011 at 6:01 AM · Report this
If you didnt know Jack has been Tattooing in the King and Peirce Counties for 26 years. Licensed and yes,he was the first person to have a certified Hospital Autoclave in Washington. Yes hisfather was a Professional Tattooing Artist also he is the only second generation Professional Tattooing artist in the usa. Jack has have only done Tattooing. So to all of you wanna be haters. Ha ! But as ol dirty sais. HOW COULD YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEVER KNEW? The Tattoo was done as a unity of the people representing the Lummi and Nez Pierce Nations and the ONE People of the New Evolution. If you want to go to boggsville.com/jack to see more of Mr. Cunningham's work. HE IS THE SHIT. HAS NEVER,NO,NEVER HAD ONE TATTOO INFECT and has had over 80,000 clients,and a portfolio to prove it! TATTOOJACK.COM. GO JACK! LONG LIVE THE REVOLUTION.
Posted by tattoo guru on August 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Posted by tattoo guru on August 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM · Report this
I had my legs done by Jack 5 yrs ago when he had his shop down in Tukwila. Been looking for him. I need a couple pieces done and he is the best... no doubt!!

That's fukin awesome that he's out there stirring up the shit... Way to go Jack !!

Gonna track your ass down Jack and have you do my arms man. And that back piece we spoke about.

If anyone runs into Jack tell his ass to slow down long enough for me to catch up to him..lol

Let him know Leo's on the hunt!!
Posted by L A Leo on March 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this