Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Finally, a Police Tasing Video Everybody Can Enjoy

Posted by on Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM

First, the video, in which an uppity couple outside an Alabama Walmart freaks out hard enough to warrant police attention.

Then, the question-answering, icky-feeling-reducing backstory:

Anthony Scott Smith, 41, and his wife, Chrisanna Elizabeth Smith, 40, of Scottsdale, Arizona, were arrested Friday and charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and second-degree assault on a police officer. According to Lt. Thurston Bullock, the couple became irate when they saw Officer Caleb Bibby in Walmart shortly before 11 p.m. Friday. They approached him aggressively, accusing him of treason and of shopping on duty and telling the officer he was under federal investigation, Bullock said.

According to Bullock, the situation escalated as follows: The couple was waiting by the door when the officer left the store and began shouting and encroaching on the officer. They created such a public disturbance, in Bibby's view, they broke the law, giving the officer probable cause to arrest them...

Full story (with mugshots) here.

To close, a poll.

I don't know that I can enjoy that. Even though the people are really obnoxious, the tasing still seemed punitive rather than needed to apprehend the person.
Posted by carrma on July 19, 2011 at 10:30 AM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 2
Love the wolf art on the dude's t shirt. That alone merits a tasing.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on July 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM · Report this
"We" doesn't include me either in enjoying this video. Poor Alabama tweakers and a cop with a taser should make you cry, not laugh.
Posted by tabski on July 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM · Report this
Banna 4
Yay for tea-bagging amateur freelance Walmart lawyers explaining the law to police officers.
Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on July 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM · Report this
wisepunk 5
We are all winners here.
Posted by wisepunk on July 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 6
If those are tweakers, they are the fattest tweakers I've ever seen.
Posted by More, I Say! on July 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM · Report this
man, this american dream shit is turning into a nightmare.
Posted by whomever whilst have me on July 19, 2011 at 11:05 AM · Report this
Allyn 8
Meh, I waiting for the officer to punch her in the face. Gotta say, I was mildly disappointed.
Posted by Allyn on July 19, 2011 at 11:07 AM · Report this
David Schmader 9
8: You must be from Seattle.
Posted by David Schmader on July 19, 2011 at 11:08 AM · Report this
Zebes 10
They're idiots and they were asking for it, but I agree with #1; this was just punitive. And I have a tough time sympathizing with cops who dispense with beatdowns not because it's necessary, but because they have an excuse.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on July 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 11
I want to be White Trash when I grow up.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on July 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 12
There's hell to pay when you try to keep some from their pork rinds and peanut M&Ms.
Posted by Bauhaus I on July 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM · Report this
"The group sat at a table behind the officers and then began screaming at a waitress when she told him that the restaurant doesn’t de-vein its shrimp."

A clear exercise of their First Amendment rights, in the spirit of Citizens United
Posted by RonK, Seattle on July 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM · Report this
Allyn 14
@9 Yes, and I'm kidding.
Posted by Allyn on July 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 15
I've only ever been to the Renton and Council Bluffs Wal-Marts, one visit to each. But, based on that, it seems like there's always some low-rent, stupid people drama going on.

Plus, they're just generally loud, in the way that only places full of poor people are loud (I have poor in-laws, their house is always loud. That's because the TV is always blaring, and since the TV is always blaring, they're always yelling at each other to be heard above the blaring. I always feel like Hyacinth Bucket when I go visit them. They love Wal-Mart.)

Wal-Marts are dreadful places. If you have to go discount, go K-Mart. You will never be bothered by anyone, because hardly anyone shops at K-Mart.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on July 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 16
Arizona, not Alabama.

Seems like this would be more than enough probable cause to perform a drug raid on their residence. Sounds like they go around yelling at cops. Pretty soon, they'll be assaulting people who they think are undercover cops, or maybe someone who uses a tire iron instead of taser. Look at this more as the intervention their family can't/won't stage.
Posted by Sir Vic on July 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM · Report this
deerwhistle 17
Anthony Scott Smith? This guy was a high score legend with 90's arcade games.
Posted by deerwhistle on July 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM · Report this
David Schmader 18
16: The couple hails from Arizona, but the incident happened in Alabama.

17: You win!
Posted by David Schmader on July 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 19
@2 you didn't get the memo did you? Wolf shirts are cool now
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on July 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Geni 20
They *act* like tweakers, but they sure aren't built like tweakers.

I actually have a lot of sympathy for the cop in this one. What is he supposed to do? He was trying to settle the guy down, the guy lost his shit and swung at him, he's got that enormous harpy screeching in his ear - I think the guy's lucky he wasn't nightsticked and shot. The cop seemed to maintain his cool pretty well, all things considered.
Posted by Geni on July 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM · Report this
I'm sorry - but it made me giggle a bit.

Confronting a police officer, yelling at him, and resisting arrest / throwing a punch at him? He is lucky that all he got was the tazzer.

Posted by Neurotic Cat on July 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM · Report this
It's very disturbing to me that this is ok as an object of mirth because the 'victims' or 'perps' or whatever are white. It's hard to tell what's going on, but I certainly don't see what crime was committed, or know why the cops were talking to this guy at all.
If we saw a video of a black couple being tased, ostensibly for protesting that the police are giving commands, while a couple of white teenagers laughed as they recorded it, we'd be decrying how racist the incident was.
Posted by fetish on July 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM · Report this
spamky 23
22: I guess you didn't read the article.

They confronted the cop for "shopping on duty" while he was doing a walkthrough at the Walmart, and in the video you can see the guy hitting the cop in the upper chest / lower neck area, which is assault and a crime.
Posted by spamky on July 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 24
@ 22, there's a whole hell of a lot of racist police incidents in American history that would provide a context in which to decry such a video as racist. But it would still only be racist if something were happening that showed a racial motivation.

In this video, there's nothing indicating ANY kind of police brutality in play here, which needs to be present in order for your comment to be valid. I saw none.
Posted by Matt from Denver on July 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Tasers have killed a bunch of people now in this country. They aren't safe devices, only safer than guns. They are more and more often now as punishment/control devices rather than as substitutes for guns in situations that would otherwise require deadly force. I don't see that there was ever a reason to shoot either of these people, so there was no reason to taser.
The joy Americans now take in watching people punished with tasers is pathetic.
Posted by cracked on July 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM · Report this
I'm with @1. The description makes the tasing seem warranted, but based on the video...well, the cop seems like he had the taser out while all that was going on was verbal abuse (which is abuse - but cops are supposed to be able to de-escalate that shit instead of piss off some loon even more). Mostly the cop looks like he has no idea how to handle the situation.

Really, though, the video made me sad that the first thing people think of when they see something going down is to videotape it for mass consumption. The stupid ass giggles of the guy recording it made me hate him more than anyone else involved in this little episode.
Posted by genevieve on July 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM · Report this
The mug shots are priceless. And, yeah, the guy did assault a police officer on camera. The officer had one choice: use the taser or slam the guy to the pavement.
Posted by J.R. on July 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM · Report this
COMTE 28
@22:

The video isn't a subject of mirth because these people are white; it's a subject of mirth because they're fat, stupid, obnoxious, and clearly deserving of everything they had coming to them. The color of their skin in this instance is completely irrelevant.
Posted by COMTE on July 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Dude what about the don't tase me bro one that was awesome
Posted by Democrat1234 on July 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM · Report this
The police officer should not have let the situation escalate the way it did.
Posted by LizzieVeg on July 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM · Report this
A couple from Arizona at a WalMart in Alabama? A perfect storm for madness.
Posted by CommonKnowledge on July 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM · Report this
sirkowski 32
Obama sending his goons to torture upstanding Teabagging citizens?
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on July 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM · Report this
Posted by idaho on July 19, 2011 at 11:26 PM · Report this