Monday, July 18, 2011

Marcus Bachmann, Queen for a Day

Posted by on Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Brendan Lynaugh at Bark:

June Thomas is deeply disappointed. She cites this weeks “Savage Love” podcast, in which Dan Savage “started with an attack on Marcus Bachmann’s masculinity.” She writes he mocked Backmann’s lisp and his slurring. ”In other words… acting like a big bully.” This upset Thomas, who “can only imagine how listeners who happen to have the kind of lisping, effeminate speech and affect that Savage was ridiculing felt upon hearing the attack.”

I would imagine Savage listeners, gay and straight, who have the kind of lisping, effeminate speech, were probably cheering Dan for mocking a wealthy, Christianist therapist, whose self-described Christian counseling center encourages gay teenagers to commit suicide ”practices” so-called reparative therapy, which is designed to turn homosexuals into heterosexuals.

Lynaugh is too hard on Thomas, who went out of her way to be gentle with me (and with Jon Stewart), but he's right about gay listeners cheering me on for making fun of Marcus Bachmann's voice and mannerisms. As for why gay people think Bachmann's mannerisms are fair game...

The man is a homophobe of the highest order; Marcus and his odious wife support discrimination against LGBT people, they're invested in sustaining the religious stigma against queer people, and Marcus Bachmann makes money torturing vulnerable gays and lesbians—not all of them kids—with false promises of cures and false threats of hell. So here's a man who thinks people should be discriminated against for being gay... a man who tells Christian gays that God hates people who are gay... and his manner is so stereotypically gay that he wouldn't look out of place in a gay mens chorus or a sling at Club Z.

As we've seen with Haggard, Rekers, Craig, et al, the biggest homophobes are often messy closet cases. And as sex researcher Michael Bailey puts it: Not all gay men are sissies, but nearly all sissies are gay men. So it's entirely possible—it seems highly likely to me—that Marcus Bachmann is one of those guys who insists that sexual orientation is a choice because he chose to be straight. Or chose to identify as straight.

Gay people who point out how fruity Bachmann is aren't saying there's something wrong with being fruity, or with being gay, or with guys who look, speak, walk, or dance the way Bachmann does. A lot of us look, speak, walk, and dance that way. And we don't think there's anything wrong with us for looking, speaking, walking, or dancing that way. I've never met a gay man who objected to Modern Family's Cam, who looks, speaks, walks, and dances the Bachmann way. And we certainly don't think there's anything wrong with being gay. But Marcus Bachmann sure does. He thinks there's a whole lot wrong with being gay. And when we point out that this same Marcus Bachmann acts like a huge homo—like a huge, messy, married, dishonest, closeted version Cam—we're not mocking the fruits. We're hoisting that pansy with his own hateful petard.

Marcus Bachmann is attacking us and we're claiming him. We're embracing him, we're saying that we recognize ourselves in him, we're turning the stigma Marcus Bachmann promotes back on Marcus Bachmann.

Remember, we're not stereotyping Marcus Bachmann as a gay man, we're stereotyping him as a self-hating closet queen - and he's given us the ammunition. It's not just about the way he prances or speaks, it's what he says - he simply sounds like he has a lot of experience repressing his sexuality.
Posted by CPT_Doom on July 18, 2011 at 9:36 AM · Report this
WHOA! Please tell me now that you are wrong about most sissies being gay men. Or redefine "sissy". Most crossdressers are heterosexual--does that mean that the sissy and sissy maid subset of crossdressers are all gay? I need to know this since I exclusively date crossdressers and am female. Of course just because a man is a crossdresser doesn't mean he acts femme in male mode.

Anyway, please explain further.
Posted by Marrena on July 18, 2011 at 9:50 AM · Report this
@ #2 - You must be very lonely.
Posted by SLG on July 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM · Report this
TVDinner 4
You know, if you have to spend a lot of time justifying bratty behavior maybe it's time to stop acting like a brat.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on July 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 5
Writing from me to Kiley to Lynaugh to the woman to Savage to Bachmann - a Shakespearen chain reaction!
hoisted by its own petard!
Posted by dnt trust me on July 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Dan, I know you're busy as hell these days, but you gotta get some help editing your own stuff. These errors (3 in the last three days) aren't like you, and they undermine your credibility. Other than, rock on my brother.
Posted by jack_jamison on July 18, 2011 at 9:57 AM · Report this
Vince 7
Anybody married to that bitch deserves whatever they get. Eva Braun = Marcus Bachmann
Posted by Vince on July 18, 2011 at 9:58 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 8
TVDinner @4: He's not justifying anything; he's just trolling for more page hits.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on July 18, 2011 at 10:02 AM · Report this
Jenny from the Block 9
"He refers to Top Gun as That Volleyball Movie" gave me hiccups from laughing so hard.
Posted by Jenny from the Block on July 18, 2011 at 10:03 AM · Report this
One good thing, if Michele Bachmann should somehow win the Presidency we'll still have a first lady.
Posted by jeffg166 on July 18, 2011 at 10:08 AM · Report this
Got a cite for that Micheal Bailey quote? *googles* ... oh yeah, the "transwomen are only either gay men or autogynephiles" guy. Sigh.
Posted by saccade on July 18, 2011 at 10:08 AM · Report this
laterite 12
I wonder what Mark Driscoll thinks of Marcus Bachmann.
Posted by laterite on July 18, 2011 at 10:15 AM · Report this
jimmy 13
Most cross-dressers are not sissies. They often are hyper-masculine men, someone no one would suspect loves wearing lacy panties and size 12 slingbacks when alone.
Posted by jimmy http://www.mybigfatlazyblog.blogspot.com on July 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM · Report this
blip 14
You are at your most shrill and annoying when you claim to speak for all gays everywhere. Do you not read the comments on your own blog posts? You have plenty of queer readers who are not "cheering you on" for picking on someone for having stereotypically gay mannerisms. I wish I could say I expect better of you and actually mean it.
Posted by blip on July 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM · Report this
Eva Hopkins 15
Dan - I know I nitpick, but to echo @6, please put one of those tech-savvy at-risk youth to work copy editing your posts. Or hire me, I spend a lotta my spare time reading your posts, anyhow, & have a background in publication. :)

But yes, editing - you say - "that Marcus Bachmann believes that sexual orientation is a choice not because anyone chooses to be gay, but because he choose to be straight. Or he choose to identify as straight."

please change both instances of "choose" in the last 2 sentences to either "chose" or "chooses". Thanks..
Posted by Eva Hopkins http://www.lunamusestudios.com on July 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM · Report this
The misconception that "sissies are gay men" is what made my life a living hell in middle and high school. Bachmann is despicable, but that is not an excuse for making accusations against him based on flimsy evidence. There are plenty of documented reasons to accuse Bachmann of being a despicable human being -- using stereotypes only weakens your argument and changes the conversation from what an a-hole he is to what an a-hole you are.
Posted by goldbach on July 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM · Report this
TVDinner 17
@8: Trolling all the way to the bank, huh?
Posted by TVDinner http:// on July 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM · Report this
BEG 18
One thing that so totally puzzles me, for soneone "choosing" to be straight, and then not leaving well enough alone but actively oppressing others who do not make the choice, is why he would then choose to continue with certain extremely highly stereotypical gay mannerisms? I'd think he'd work hard to repress those as well.

Anyway, yeah. I think it's just a matter of time before he's caught in a very compromising position... *That* highly-homophobic religious nut stereotype has it's own almost inevitable trajectory.

@14: I'm guessing you skipped paragraphs 3 and 4 entirely and just focused on the last, 5th paragraph?
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on July 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM · Report this
Eva Hopkins 19
Blip @ 14 - It's hard not to sound shrill when discussing this situation. :/ It seems so absurd. There's a weensy chance that Marcus Bachmann is straight, but that chance seems really tiny. & it *is* usually those who protest the loudest against evil gays who seem to turn out to be closeted gays.

& Dan said he was speaking for gays who were commenting on how fruity Marcus Bachmann comes off. While expressing some hateful views towards gays.

OTOH, I can't get behind most sissies are gay, thing, as that buys into a whole pile of gender BS & I've known some straight sissies.
Posted by Eva Hopkins http://www.lunamusestudios.com on July 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM · Report this
"we're not mocking the fruits. We're hoisting that pansy with his own hateful petard."

EXACTLY.

Posted by Suzy on July 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM · Report this
blip 21
But by using that petard, you also validate it. I prefer to reject it entirely.
Posted by blip on July 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM · Report this
You know, I have to say that this mini-tempest is something that only liberals can achieve.

Only liberals could take the perfectly legitimate skewering of a deeply dishonest and despicable individual and find some way to be offended. If you're going to be offended over calling Bachmann out on his bullshit, then go ahead and be offended by this and this too. Bad bad liberals, employing common stereotypes to fuck with the minds of the people actually out to hurt people! Arggh.

Many teens aren't too bright, but I think even the dimmer ones can tell the difference between the queer-baiting asshole at gym and Dan Savage fucking with a guy calling gay kids "barbarians that need to be educated and disciplined".
Posted by Lynx on July 18, 2011 at 11:10 AM · Report this
Liberals know that it's pretty much not cool to mock someone for having a high voice.

However, I believe that MB's virulent hatred of homosexuals is probably the only thing keeping him from BEING homosexual.
Posted by Smhill on July 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM · Report this
Given that so-called therapies targeting homosexuality often seek to suppress the behaviors/qualities exhibited by Marcus Bachmann, I'm feeling pretty comfortable with how he's being treated by Dan and Jon Stewart.
Posted by JrzWrld on July 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM · Report this
Phred Phelps is also a big gay faggity fag gay man IMHO.

[I apologize in advance to all pearl clutchers for 'slandering' Phred Phelps who may not really be gay but just a typical hetero who is obsessed with man on man butt sex. Also, just because you are a pearl clutcher doesn't mean you are gay even though it does sound kinda gay.]

That is all.
Posted by ec1009 on July 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM · Report this
evilvolus 26
Speaking as a fairly faggy straight guy, attacking MB's mannerisms feels a little "not cool" on the surface. But then I think about it, and fuck that guy. Fuck him right in the ear.
Posted by evilvolus on July 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM · Report this
@3 actually I'm inundated with guys. They're practically fighting duels over me. Very well-dressed duels. :)

@13 I agree. I've said before, if I meet a guy who's a cop, a veteran, has a collection of guns, and jumps out of planes on the weekend for fun, first thing I think is he's underdressing. I just want clarification on how he's using "sissy". I suppose it must be in the fruity sense, not the femme sense.
Posted by Marrena on July 18, 2011 at 11:46 AM · Report this
OutInBumF 28
My only wish for Marcus baby is that he hurts and suffers a tiny fraction of the pain he's inflicted on others in his ex-gay 'ministry'. Evil, hateful men like Marcus Bachmann deserve anything and everything they get, no excuses.
BS on this 'Roy Cohn didn't deserve...' and 'you're being so mean' crap from our side. This is a war of survival, not a fucking ice-cream social.
Someday liberals are going to figure out that a backbone is required in politics- until then, we're just plain embarrassing.
Posted by OutInBumF on July 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM · Report this
@2: No, Dan is using "sissy" to refer to stereotypically/culturally gay traits, not to crossdressing. Most crossdressers are indeed straight. "sissy maid" is a completely different context and not what Dan was talking about at all.
Posted by BlackRose on July 18, 2011 at 11:50 AM · Report this
The fact that he may buy Brawney paper towels just because he likes the packaging is none of our business.
Posted by ec1009 on July 18, 2011 at 11:56 AM · Report this
Now THIS doesn't sound like a gay man at all, nu-uh, no sir:

Shopping help comes from another quarter, as well. Before Vice President Dick Cheney's visit this past summer, Bachmann's husband, Marcus, hit the stores - "he's got a good sense of style" - and came home with "a sleek, simple hourglass dress with a yoke collar! in winter white." He even bought a matching coat and shoes. "I just slipped it on."
from an old article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, quoted at
Posted by Brett Alan http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_songs-Power-Pop.html on July 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 32
Just because Marcus is a typical closeted gay homophobe doesn't mean Michelle Bachmann has let herself realize that obvious fact.

Even if it's obvious to most straight guys.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on July 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM · Report this
So I guess your argument point is that you're not AS homophobic as marcus bachmann. Well, when you put it that way, you should be congratulated. Douche.
Posted by PugilistPuck on July 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM · Report this
Womyn2me 34
I go back ond forth on whether it is cool for us gays to mock Mrs Bachmann. On one hand, it does seem bullying. I would stop INSTANTLY if he came out as being an ex-gay who used his own counseling and jesus to turn ex-gay.

on the other hand, when he portrays himself has the heterosexual paragon of virtue he is, yet pings so significantly my gaydar AND is abusive to gay people via his 'therapy', I still think I would rather make fun of him being an ex-gay than a faggy straight guy/closet case.

Faggy straight guys are a dime a dozen in the Republican closet.
Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on July 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM · Report this
evilvolus 35
@34 - Then again, at the moment, he's a pretty good advertisment for his own counseling. He has, after all, managed to father 5 children.
Posted by evilvolus on July 18, 2011 at 1:00 PM · Report this
The thing I keep wondering about... What if Bachman cops to it? What if he says, "I've been fighting gay urges all of my life, so I can be certain that my brand of ex-gay counseling is highly effective since I've been married without acting out on these urges for 25 years (or whatever)"?

Is that the result we are looking for? If so, is anyone concerned about the legitimacy boost that sort of testimonial might give to the "ex-gay" movement, or would the public debate that is sure to result make it worth it?
Posted by clint on July 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM · Report this
Completely on your side with this, Dan, but I have to speak out on behalf of us straight sissy-boys here: not all sissies are gay. At least one sissy on this planet is straight, and that's me. There's probbaly more of me out there.
Posted by Shepherd on July 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM · Report this
So, Dan is, debatably, the most influential LGB or T in the country right now. In recent months he's become a spokesgay for liberal America. So, when the spokesgay starts making fun of someone for being effeminate, that makes it okay for other people to make fun of folks for being effeminate. The entire discussion becomes about whether Marcus Bachman is effeminate.

I've had several straight friends ask me about this issue. Did a single one of them know that Bachman's clinic was getting state and federal funds to perform the ex-gay tharpy? No. Not one.

Dan has led the charge in highjacking this issue away from what matters, the federal and state funds for essentially torturing LGBTs in need of medically approved psychological treatment, to leading to the country in a rousing game of Let's Disect that Person's Gender Characteristics to Ostrasize Them.

A year ago it would have been okay for Dan to say something like this. He could have gotten away with it then as part of his trademark bastardlyness that has endeared him to so many, me included. But Dan stands for something much, much bigger now. Many, many more eyes are on him now. It's gotta suck to not be able to react the way you normally would because of all of that influence. I'm hoping that Dan's still figuring out how to use all that political power he's just gotten, so stuff like this doesn't happen again.
Posted by Sodomight on July 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM · Report this
Donolectic 39
@8 - You got some herp in your derp.
Posted by Donolectic on July 18, 2011 at 2:39 PM · Report this
BEG 40
@36 I have to wonder about that, as well. OTOH, every single instance I can think of (though that's not necessarily complete, of course) where a person "came out" as "ex gay" eventually had a "relapse." So even admitting as much as to having *once* been gay is too much?
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on July 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 41
@35 so did the most famous gay playwright of all time.

Just because you want kids, doesn't make you straight.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on July 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM · Report this
@40 What if he were to say that he has never acted on those urges, only used the faith-based system delivered to him directly from God to successfully pray the gay away?
Posted by clint on July 18, 2011 at 3:26 PM · Report this
Unregistered User 43
Is somebody paying commenters to post on Dan's stuff now?

'cause I want in on that action.
Posted by Unregistered User on July 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM · Report this
I'd like to tell Mr Bachman that "it gets better", but I sincerely hope it won't for him.
Posted by bargal20 on July 18, 2011 at 4:36 PM · Report this
evilvolus 45
@41 - Yes, yes. But unless it becomes public that he DOES engage in gay sexual encounters, he remains an excellent advertisement for his professed beliefs. The same point clint was making above.
Posted by evilvolus on July 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM · Report this
Can't we just NOT claim him or embrace him? And recognizing oneself in him is way beyond the Pale. It could be entertaining to say such things as that, if one could only be gay by getting through tryouts, he wouldn't have made it past the first cut, but why bother? He deserves whatever blasting he gets, but this particular attack is starting to look as if it were a made-for-TV movie in which a bullied 9-year-old wakes up one day and his dream has come true and now HE gets to be the bully. Confront him with people who have been damaged by what he practises instead of giving him cause to cry about how He's The Victim.
Posted by vennominon on July 18, 2011 at 6:07 PM · Report this
I'm an out and proud, stereotypically mannerism-identifiable gay man... one who in grade and high school got the "sissy" label directed at me often enough that the word still makes me cringe a little. So when I was in high school, if some 'authoritative' gay man (seen and heard in the media) had said that "nearly all sissies are gay", I would have shrunk back inside myself a little bit more. I was not ready to come to terms with my gayness at that age-- especially in a small-town, rural, conservative, fundamentailist, part of Missouri. My mannerisms made all that a lot harder.

To be "marked" as gay and a 'sissy' by the other kids, and then also because of the declaration of "some man who should know these things" would make me shrink inside even more. I'd know that my mannerisms would target even more judgements by the other kids at school, the bullies and jocks, my parents, etc. I'd fear they were seeing inside of me to some place which to me felt dark and shameful and bad and wrong. I would be imagining the other kids saying to their friends, "See, I told ya... sissy equals gay" (because that's what they'd hear... they wouldn't hear any qualifier). It wouldn't matter if Dan's remark was about some grown man.. to me it would have felt like it was a declaration that was all about me.

And something like the "It Gets Better" campaign and message might not matter to me either, because if you're an effiminate, closeted, struggling-to-find-(or hide)-your-Truth gay 15-year old in a Bachmann-esque part of the country, and some gay authority figure says "nearly all sissies are gay", it would CERTAINLY not look like my life had any hope of getting better in my foreseeable future! I would only have imagined it getting worse.

Bachmann deserves criticism. It just really makes me uncomfortable when sissy-mannerism targeting puts a label on someone. I understand the temptation to "go there", but I too have known a couple of straight effeminate men who went through a similar hell as I did... being marked as gay when they weren't. "Nearly all sissies are gay" may be true, but it's not going to make things "better" for some kids upon which it puts a target and label. It might just drive them to someone like Bachmann for 'therapy'.
More...
Posted by KennerJ on July 19, 2011 at 9:02 AM · Report this

More...
Posted by KennerJ on July 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM · Report this
#22 won this thread. The stupid in this discussion is painful. Bachmann is not being mocked for having sissy mannerisms. He's being mocked for having sissy mannerisms and running a pray-the-gay-away clinic. How hard is that to understand?

@19: "Most sissies are gay" and "I've known some straight sissies" are not mutually exclusive statements. In fact, they agree.
Posted by Chase on July 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM · Report this
@49 by what rationalization process in this thread did "nearly all" turn into "most?"
Posted by saccade on July 19, 2011 at 7:23 PM · Report this
In the context of Bachmann's advocacy for turning gay people straight, it is entirely permissible to ask him, on the record, whether he himself has ever struggled with same sex attraction. It seems likely that he did in fact struggle and then was able to overcome these feelings by virtue of prayer and self control etc and that is what forms the basis for his belief that homosexuality can be cured. In the context of what he believes about homosexuality, why he believes what he believes, and whether he does so based on his own personal experience strike me as perfectly legitimate questions. And if he did indeed struggle with same sex attraction but succeeded in overcoming/repressing it -- the word the rest of the world uses for such a man is "gay."
Posted by logicat on July 20, 2011 at 1:59 AM · Report this
@50: Well gee, I don't know, maybe right in the comment I was responding to:

Emphasis added just in case I'm being too subtle. Not that changing "most" to "nearly all" has any effect on my point.
Posted by Chase on July 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM · Report this
Whether or not Bachmann "deserves" to be mocked is entirely beside the point. By making fun of his effeminate mannerisms you're using a device that we all deplore to dehumanize and belittle another person, and thereby legitimizing the practice. If you want bullying to stop, you need to stop contributing to and reinforcing a culture that makes it OK to make fun of someone for being effeminate. As it stands now you're a complete hypocrite: the rule you're applying seems to be that it's bad to tease a sissy, unless it's somebody you really, really dislike. Then it's OK, because, well, he's an asshole and he deserves it.
Posted by Don on July 21, 2011 at 2:58 PM · Report this