Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Did Michele Bachmann's Husband Turn You Straight?

Posted by on Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Truth Wins Out:

A national magazine reporter is looking for people who have been treated by Marcus Bachmann, the husband of Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn). Marcus has allegedly performed reparative therapy to “cure homosexuals in Minnesota. If you have suffered at the hands of this quack or feel he has “helped” you, please contact me ASAP at wbesen@truthwinsout.org.

Says two TWO commenters:

Wait….HER HUSBAND is an “ex Gay” “therapist”? REALLY? If he came across as any MORE of an old queen, HIS pic would be on British and Canadian money. My god, the irony.

Her husband is an “ex-gay” therapist, is he? Michele better watch her back; that type is the sort who sooner or later will be caught on his knees with his pants down around his ankles giving head to some rough trade in a men’s room somewhere. It is usually just a matter of time…

Matt Taibbi recounts the Michele and Marcus's stranger-than-slash-fiction courtship in his must-read piece on Bachmann in this month's Rolling Stone:

Young Michele found Jesus at age 16, not long before she went away to Winona State University and met a doltish, like-minded believer named Marcus Bachmann. After finishing college, the two committed young Christians moved to Oklahoma, where Michele entered one of the most ridiculous learning institutions in the Western Hemisphere, a sort of highway rest area with legal accreditation called the O.W. Coburn School of Law; Michele was a member of its inaugural class in 1979. Originally a division of Oral Roberts University, this august academy, dedicated to the teaching of "the law from a biblical worldview," has gone through no fewer than three names — including the Christian Broadcasting Network School of Law....

When Bachmann finished her studies in Oklahoma, Marcus instructed her to do her postgraduate work in tax law—a command Michele took as divinely ordained. She would later profess to complete surprise at God's choice for her field of study. "Tax law? I hate taxes," she said. "Why should I go and do something like that?" Still, she sucked it up and did as she was told. "The Lord says: Be submissive, wives, you are to be submissive to your husbands."

Odd how Michele conflates God's will with her husband's will. So who'll be running the country if Bachmann gets elected? The queen of the Tea Party? Or the old queen she married?

Advice for Michele to give her husband:

Marcus, don't raw dog a random!
Posted by sophist2 on June 29, 2011 at 8:37 AM · Report this
Exactly Dan.

If people are worried about Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman and their Mormon faith, what about an evangelical and her belief in submission to her husband? Who would be running the country?

I personally don't have a problem with a Mormon (their faith is just as weird as any other religion except for a few parts which are completely whack) but it is troubling how so many people wear their religion on their sleeve. How can you govern a huge country with many faiths if you can see past your own religion?

It's troubling.
Posted by westello on June 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM · Report this
Banna 3
Marcus Bachmann talks about Justin Bieber and Prom Dresses.

Best line @ 1:25: "It's Prom Season!" delivered in a lispy lilt that would make Christopher Lowell jealous.
Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on June 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM · Report this
Going into an entire CAREER you don't like just because someone tells you to?

Damn, that IS submissive. Most collared slaves I know got to choose their own careers. 0o
Posted by blah on June 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM · Report this
Lest we forget, Alan Grayson was ousted from office because of controversy around his, "submit to me" ad against his opponent.

I have nothing against religion, I just think it doesn't belong in creating an all-encompassing union.
Posted by Drew2u on June 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM · Report this
I have dreams of Michelle winning the nomination exactly 1 month before her husband is caught on film with a dick in his mouth.
Posted by Root on June 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM · Report this
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on June 29, 2011 at 9:42 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 8
whoa nelly .
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on June 29, 2011 at 9:43 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 9
@5,

Grayson was ousted because he was too liberal for his district. That ridiculous ad against his opponent was a footnote.
Posted by keshmeshi on June 29, 2011 at 9:46 AM · Report this
gcm 10
The more attention Bachmann gets, the more I am convinced there are competing Republican cabals out there who is sponsoring her and Palin to draw attention from their more serious candidates and their obvious issues (Mitt's Obamacare in MA, Pawlenty's DUI campaign, Huntsman's close ties to Obama).
Posted by gcm on June 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 12
@2 - I remember a similar concern back in 1990-whatever when Gary Locke was running against Whatshername with the Big Green Campaign Signs. Someone asked Whatshername about her faith, and whether she would submit to her husband in government matters, and she said unequivocally that yes, if her husband told her to govern in a certain way, she'd do it. I doubt she really stood a decent chance anyway--I don't have poll numbers and can't be bothered to look it up--but I remember the reaction in the room was not good.

Someone oughta ask Bachmann about that.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 29, 2011 at 10:34 AM · Report this
laterite 13
@12: Ellen Craswell. The name draws from me an involuntary shudder.
Posted by laterite on June 29, 2011 at 10:56 AM · Report this
Andy 14
Is he the father of her two super hot sons?
Posted by Andy on June 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM · Report this
After reading Matt Taibi's article in Rolling Stone, I am both concerned and creeped out.
Posted by dtc on June 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Wait ... Bachmann already has a gay marriage?
Posted by RonK, Seattle on June 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 18
@13 - Shortly after posting that, I looked it up. I apparently can't be bothered to just not know something for a minute. I also learned that she died in 2008, so you can probably sleep at night a little more soundly.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Yes, the question is, who will LIFT HIS LUGGAGE and when? Not IF, mind you. It's gonna happen or it already happens and he's just covering it up well. Sheesh.
Posted by Dan Not Savage on June 29, 2011 at 12:59 PM · Report this
OutInBumF 20
Those Jeebus freaks always push their closet cases into 'straight' marriages. "The LORD will fix it all". Ditto @6!
Posted by OutInBumF on June 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM · Report this
merry 21
That Rolling Stone article was a damn good read.

I've already sent it to several people I know. We knew she was crazy, we just didn't know she was THAT crazy.

Did a whole generation of folks just miss the whole notion of 'separation of church and state'? I mean, really -----> WTF???
Posted by merry on June 29, 2011 at 1:53 PM · Report this
The end of that article will give me nightmares. *shiver*
Posted by wingedkat on June 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Part of me wants Bachman to get the nomination and actually win the election. Out of spite. Just punish a country that would be stupid enough to allow such a vile nincompoop the meager amount of power and attention she has in Congress now.

But then I remember thinking the same about Duhbya. And that wasn't the hilarious 8 years of schadenfreude I'd greedily anticipated.

I console myself with the idea of seeing the inevitable news footage of Marcus Bachman attempting to explain the unconscious Laotian rent boy found in the trunk of his Lexus.

"Listen! Ten more miles and a little more duct tape and I'd have cured him!"

Posted by tkc on June 29, 2011 at 6:24 PM · Report this