Tuesday, June 28, 2011

AR-15 Left Sitting On Trunk of Seattle Police Car

Posted by on Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:21 AM

SPDoops.jpg

Slog tipper Nick says he spotted this SPD car parked in front of the Roosevelt Hotel on Pine in downtown Seattle last night just after 9 PM. There were no cops in the car, says Nick, no cops on the sidewalk, no cops anywhere. Just a cop car with an assault weapon sitting on the trunk.

"Flagged down bike officers," says Nick, "they were shocked as hell."

Vince 1
The crazies probably have worse, already. But, yeah, this is outrageous and I haven't even heard about this on the news. It's a Savage scoop and shows why The Stranger is Seattle's only newspaper.
Posted by Vince on June 28, 2011 at 5:38 AM · Report this
The license plate is visible on the picture, and this is a very visited website, so me thinks someone is getting their ass dressed down severely this morning.
Posted by Lynx on June 28, 2011 at 5:38 AM · Report this
watchout5 3
Anyone seen that assault rifle? I pulled it out to look cool and point it at all the hipsters but maybe I left it in that pawn shop OH CHICKEN FUCK THIS I'M HUNGRY. Someone needs a drug test.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on June 28, 2011 at 5:46 AM · Report this
It's a trap!
Posted by iagox86 on June 28, 2011 at 6:01 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 5
Finders Keepers!
Posted by Urgutha Forka on June 28, 2011 at 6:21 AM · Report this
Eric Arrr 6
What @4 said. That looks like a sting operation to me.
Posted by Eric Arrr on June 28, 2011 at 6:24 AM · Report this
Eric Arrr 7
I mean, bait cars are cool and all, but if you're looking to nail perps with decades-long mandatory minimum sentances, weapons charges are the way to go.
Posted by Eric Arrr on June 28, 2011 at 6:28 AM · Report this
BEG 8
@2 I had the same thought on noticing the plates front and center... Wonder if we'll ever hear about any followup to that. Really makes me wonder what was going on, whether a massive brain fart or a sting. But then never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity...
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on June 28, 2011 at 6:51 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 9
@2 i know ...whenever i leave my junk unattended, there's always hell to pay.
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on June 28, 2011 at 6:54 AM · Report this
Are you sure that thing is an AR-15? I realize it's all pimped out with accessories, but I'm still not seeing it. Maybe it's the angle?
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on June 28, 2011 at 6:56 AM · Report this
monkey 11
PLEASE!!! Tell me that's Shandy Cobane's car!!! Please!!!!
Posted by monkey on June 28, 2011 at 6:56 AM · Report this
I remember Ron Reagan Jr. talking about how he got rid of his secret service detail after a kid in his building turned up with an Uzi they left lying around.
Posted by Mr. J on June 28, 2011 at 6:57 AM · Report this
Mudkips 13
Or Michele Bachmann =)
Posted by Mudkips on June 28, 2011 at 7:14 AM · Report this
Mudkips 14
Speaking of Michele Bachmann, what is up with that hair? She has a seriously over-sized Something-About-Mary wave going on. Maybe she uses it like a wind sail in order to get to book burnings faster =)
Posted by Mudkips on June 28, 2011 at 7:25 AM · Report this
DOUG. 15
Gil Kerlikowske's back!
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on June 28, 2011 at 7:47 AM · Report this
are_you_fucking_kidding_me.jpg
Posted by happy renter on June 28, 2011 at 7:52 AM · Report this
@11 yes!
Posted by gloomy gus on June 28, 2011 at 7:53 AM · Report this
@4, 6, 7. It's been a long time since I took Crim pro, but I can guarantee you that if that's a "sting," it qualifies as entrapment in any jurisdiction. Very few things do, but that would.

I feel better about the Dallas PD now. At least they're semi-competent corrupt brutal pricks.
Posted by Bluejay Banana on June 28, 2011 at 7:54 AM · Report this
Paging Rich O'Neil... Paging Rich O'Neil... Mr. O'Neil please pick up the SPOG-o-phone...

Please try and get a statement from him on this one. It should be really, really good.
Posted by Action Slacks on June 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM · Report this
lark 20
Wow, that's one embarrassing photo for the SPD. Yikes! Someone's gonna be read the riot act.
Posted by lark on June 28, 2011 at 8:22 AM · Report this
Maybe it's a prop gun for the film crew of "Speed 3: Shuttle Express".
Posted by gloomy gus on June 28, 2011 at 8:39 AM · Report this
venomlash 22
Excellent prank:
1. Buy a realistic toy gun, preferably an assault rifle.
2. Surreptitiously leave it lying around on the trunk of a parked police car.
3. Passersby shit brix.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

I'd be tempted to try that, but I am most certainly NOT this guy.
Posted by venomlash on June 28, 2011 at 8:42 AM · Report this
Christ, when I was in Afghanistan, if I left my weapon even ten feet away from me, I was going to get *fucked* up.

Maintain accountability of sensitive equipment, piggies.
Posted by jj41243 on June 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM · Report this
SPD doing a typically pathetic job.
Posted by Swearengen on June 28, 2011 at 8:49 AM · Report this
With a mag inserted too. Ruh-row!
Posted by Westside forever on June 28, 2011 at 8:49 AM · Report this
@18 there is a great This American Life episode that deals with a bait car and its been something like 2 years and the people who got baited were still in court. It was a bait car parked in their driveway (or right in front of their house), they called the cops for like a week about it, and finally they opened the door to check for registration or see if they could find some identification to contact the owner.

This is america. You can get thrown in jail with a felony if you video a cop in some states.
Posted by tigntink on June 28, 2011 at 8:51 AM · Report this
If this is not some sort of prank, the police officer who did this should not be dressed down, they should not be read the riot act, they should be fired. Fired. Anything less is unacceptable.
Posted by Soo on June 28, 2011 at 9:15 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 29
Oh ho, it appears multiple news media are suddenly all over this.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on June 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM · Report this
It's like still from "Heat".
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on June 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM · Report this
leek 31
It was probably super-glued to the trunk, so the officers hiding out of sight could giggle when people tried to pick it up.
Posted by leek on June 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM · Report this
If only somebody would invent some sort of strap for carrying your shotgun or rifle when you don't want to use you hands and couldn't otherwise secure it.
Posted by restlessnative on June 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM · Report this
BEG 33
@32 Maybe something like that strap hanging down almost in front of the car's license plate? An *excellent* idea! It could totally blend in with the gun, too.
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on June 28, 2011 at 10:21 AM · Report this
@restlessnative: What you did there,... I see it! :-D

I'm sure someone's a$$ is in a sling now.
Posted by TESC's conservative base on June 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM · Report this
@restlessnative: What you did there,... I see it! :-D

I'm sure someone's a$$ is in a sling now.
Posted by TESC's conservative base on June 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM · Report this
@Dan Savage:

I might be a lot of things, to include a "gun collector". That doesn't mean I'm a thief.

Gross and unfounded generalizations are gross and unfounded.
Posted by TESC's conservative base on June 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM · Report this
John Horstman 37
"Um... good thing it was a Slog tipper—good citizens, all—who happened by and not, you know, a sociopath or an anarchist or a gun collector."

You don't read the comment threads, do you Dan?

@31: :-D
Posted by John Horstman on June 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM · Report this
So Dan, just because I'm an anarchist I'm a violent nut who's likely to steal an assault weapon (probably to use for violent over throw of the government am I right?)? Maybe try not insulting your readers . . .
Posted by redwulf25_ci on June 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM · Report this
That's twice you've made anarchists the bad guys when they weren't (the other time was the story about the anarchist cafe).
Posted by James Hutchings on June 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM · Report this
"Cops" and "sociopaths" are synonyms, and are far more likely to murder someone with that rifle than either anarchists or collectors.
Posted by Badgermaster on June 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM · Report this
I take the police actually use weapons like that?

My first thought was that someone had wanted to turn over a found or illegal firearm to the police, but didn't dare go into a station with it. But I suppose that's too naïve to think about the US - at least the idea that firearms could be illegal seems to be.
Posted by Sili on June 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM · Report this
MarkA 45
Dan, when you are right, you are right. And when you're insulting ignorant prick, you're an insulting ignorant prick. I am not a fan of anarchists, but I know them well enough that they're not inclined to grab such a gun. And I do know a lot of gun collectors, and they wouldn't touch that. First of all, they have more and better, and second, because they are more law abiding than the average cop, or the average newspaper editor.
Posted by MarkA http://mark.atwood.name/ on June 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM · Report this
Posted by Lezzy.Minell on June 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Good catch, Dan,

I really think you should run for mayor....then we can have a little more life to the party, perhaps City Light could just leave extension ladders around, or maybe FD could have a chainsaw fall off the truck every now and then......

Better yet, if vice could misplace a couple of escorts here and there....

Posted by kito on June 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM · Report this
God, people. All of you whiney anarchists and gun collectors need to grow some balls to go along with your bullets and anarchist-y things. For people trying to seem tough, you are coming off as silly little boys.
Posted by bear on June 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM · Report this
How dare you Dan! I'm a sociopath and I would never even THINK of picking up that gun and going on a mad killing spree, crushing the worthless meat bags of this city like ants under my shoe.

(Tee hee. sorry guys, I couldn't resist.)
Posted by Kitchenwitch on June 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM · Report this
venomlash 56
@54: I agree. Anyone up for making an OH EXPLOITABLE?
Posted by venomlash on June 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM · Report this