Monday, June 27, 2011

I Don't Know What This Means

Posted by on Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Paul Hughes of the S.T.D. sends this photo—something to do with sports, maybe?—with this cryptic message: "All hail our new Century Link overlords!"

Sure thing, Paul. Whatever you say.
  • Sure thing, Paul. Whatever you say.

Furthermore! I cannot get this demon photo to load right-side up, even though it shows up that way everywhere else. Paul is sorry.

Qwest Field has a new name. People have been calling it "the clink".
Posted by cliche on June 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM · Report this
Ugg, I've been drinkin. I don't want to deal with this updide down shit. Tell me again when we both are sober.
Posted by JJPhat on June 27, 2011 at 6:30 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 3
Qwest ISP service was OK, teetering on not OK. I doubt its purchase will reduce the cost of service, increase the quality of service, be more competitive with speeds, etc.
Posted by undead ayn rand on June 27, 2011 at 6:43 PM · Report this
People are calling it the Clink, but ... it gets worser.

Notice the Qwest-to-Century-Link transition TV spots, where Slinky's are crawling all over Seattle for no good reason?

There IS a reason. Century-Link thinks C-Link should be pronounced "slink".

Next year, you'll be watching football at The Slink.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on June 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM · Report this
Fnarf 5
Everytime I start thinking I'm being too hard on you guys for the quality of your photography....
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 27, 2011 at 7:33 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 6
@ 4, just for that reason I'm going to call them Clink. (When I have to speak of them at all, that is.)
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM · Report this
Fnarf, ftw.
Posted by Dod on June 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM · Report this
@5, ha! Makes us realize that though our favorite blog sometimes resembles a newspaper, sometimes it's a lot more like an email from grandma.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 27, 2011 at 8:51 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 9
@8
email from grandma, Tiger Beat magazine, Paul Constant and Justin Bieber discussing world politics -- the depth of the Slog ethos can be said in so many ways.
Posted by dnt trust me on June 27, 2011 at 9:07 PM · Report this
RBP: Royal Brougham Park. Easy to say, honors a Seattle legend, and can't be changed on a whim.
Posted by giffy on June 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 11
You know what, Seattle. No. We're not calling it that.

Just because they put the sign on the building doesn't mean we have to call it Qwest Field or the Clink or the C-Link. We caved on Safeco Field, but we all pulled together and named the SLUT on our own terms. Can we please come up with something better to call this thing? The Santorium? Or is that term sacred?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 27, 2011 at 9:44 PM · Report this
I'll say those corporate names for the publicly-owned buildings when they start paying me to. "The football stadium" works fine.
Posted by pox on June 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM · Report this
@11, @12: Agreed. It's "the baseball stadium," "the football stadium," "Mariners' stadium," or "Seahawks stadium" for me. I wish we could get more people to do the same.
Posted by Phil M http://https://twitter.com/pmocek on June 27, 2011 at 10:03 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 14
Candlestick park will remain so titled for the rest of my days.

Doesn't The Stranger have Photoshop or a comparable image editing software wherein you can rotate the image? Talk to the folks in production. They'll hook you up.
Posted by keshmeshi on June 27, 2011 at 10:37 PM · Report this
Roma 15
The Kingdome was hairy-butt-crack-ugly but the name was cool. Safeco Field? Hideous. Qwest Field? Better than Safeco Field but not as good as Key Arena (which, although a corporate name, gets double bonus points for its smooth sound and the fact that key is part of basketball.) CenturyLink Field? Even more hideous than Safeco Field.

Best name ever for a stadium: Candlestick Park.
Posted by Roma on June 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM · Report this
Century
Link
Interactive
Theater
Posted by dirge on June 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 17
What the feeble-minded call "Key Arena" is actually the Washington State Coliseum.

But more to the point - why are the shareholders of Centurylink or Qwest putting up with this name change nonsense? There is no valid reason for it. The only people that benefit from it are the CEO's penis inadequacy therapy group, some corporate marketing idiots, and the vendors they pay to make these needless, unnecessary name changes.

It's the phone company. No matter what they call it - and it's had four names in the last twenty years - it's still the phone company.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on June 28, 2011 at 12:04 AM · Report this
razorclammer 18
You mean, like, telephone wires?
Posted by razorclammer on June 28, 2011 at 12:36 AM · Report this
Renton Mike 19
One of the guys on espn called it "the link", even though that's in Philly.
Posted by Renton Mike on June 28, 2011 at 5:51 AM · Report this
If you've got a PC around, get a copy of Irfanview. It's free, small, installs quickly, and two bangs on the "R" key will rotate it 180 degrees. Then, save it. Ta-da.

I'm still not sure what I'm looking at, though. Three guys on a scaffold labelled "Tube Art Group" putting up or taking down big letters? ID?
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on June 28, 2011 at 6:49 AM · Report this
Time for a re-naming contest or poll. Thx.
Posted by slackerina on June 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM · Report this
All you people being all smart with the photoshops and stuff should just turn your head upside down like the rest of us.
Posted by shabadoo on June 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM · Report this
And your contest begins now, at the top of Slog!

And the photo thing is NOT MY FAULT. It shows up right-side up on my desktop, in Preview, and in the thumbnail when I upload it. There was no one around to help me when I was WORKING LATE last night but still wanted to take time to MAKE A POST FOR YOU people who know about sporting things. I thought you wouldn't mind. The photo is DEMON-POSSESSED. Sigh.
Posted by Bethany Jean Clement on June 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM · Report this
Fnarf 24
@22, it's still a horrible photo even right-side-up.

@12, the problem is that there is more than one. For instance, even you accept "football" for "soccer", the Sounders play in two locations. They're playing Kitsap Pumas tonight in the opening round of the US Open Cup, but not at Qwest -- at Starfire in Tukwila. So saying they're at "the football stadium" isn't very informative. Which one? There's also Husky Stadium and Memorial Stadium.

I'm going to call it Qwest. It's going to take them a year to get down every last bit of branding anyways.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 28, 2011 at 9:33 AM · Report this