Monday, June 20, 2011

The Chicago Cubs: It Gets Better

Posted by on Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:19 AM

cubsitgetsbetter.jpg

The Cubs' "It Gets Better" video—which is after the jump—is great. But what really got me was seeing the Cubs' iconic Clark Street flashing "IT GETS BETTER." I probably rode my bike and the bus past that Cubs sign about 100,000 times when I was a teenager living on the North Side of Chicago struggling with when and how to come out to my family. And being dragged to Cubs games during that period of my life was made me feel painfully self-conscious because 1. I didn't give a shit about baseball and 2. I wanted to sit in the bleachers with my back to the game so that I could look up at the shirtless guys sunning themselves under the outfield sign but I couldn't look because I wasn't out.

Going to Cubs games as an adult and splitting your time between watching the game—which you've developed an appreciation for—and checking out the shirtless guys in the bleachers: Just one of the many ways that it gets better.

Cubs' IGBP video after the jump...

The only impressive thing the Cubs have done all season. Very proud to be a Cubs fan today (which is an unusual feeling indeed)!
Posted by bluegreen on June 20, 2011 at 9:26 AM · Report this
notaboomer 2
so yer a cubs fan and a butt man.
Posted by notaboomer on June 20, 2011 at 9:29 AM · Report this
Aw, congratulations. The readerboard thing must have been so sweet!
Posted by gloomy gus on June 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM · Report this
despicable me 4
Awesome! It Gets Better and Better!
Posted by despicable me on June 20, 2011 at 9:38 AM · Report this
nocutename 5
I think the Cubs spot was better than the SF Giants, which was sort of a disappointment from a San Francisco team.
Good job!
Posted by nocutename on June 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM · Report this
despicable me 6
Dan, you can help make it better for someone else by giving them 2 minutes of your time.
Posted by despicable me on June 20, 2011 at 9:55 AM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 7
They may not be playing terrific ball this year but that was awesome.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on June 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM · Report this
wow. If major league sports are going to start to show such humanity and compassion I might start to give a shit about them. So much better than sports figures abusing drugs and beating their wives and getting caught with hookers and making homophibic comments such as the one above by notaboomer.
Posted by live nice on June 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM · Report this
If I wasn't told otherwise I would think Darwin Barney (what an awesome name!) was gay himself. He is married though and it takes more than a "gay voice" to be gay.

However there are thousands of men in professional sports all over the world and only a handful have come out, fewer still during their careers. You either believe that professional sports is 100% straight (ahahahahahahahahha) or understand that the closet follows athletes around.
Posted by Lynx on June 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM · Report this
Dan Savage is a bona fide hero.
Posted by Jeff164972583 on June 20, 2011 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Mattini 11
The It Gets Better project continues to amaze me. What a perfect video -- speaking out against bullying in general and acknowledging that lgbt youth see a disproportionate amount of it -- and what a mainstream audience. Echoing Dan feels appropriate here: We're winning.
Posted by Mattini on June 20, 2011 at 10:36 AM · Report this
rob! 12
My one time visiting Chicago (other than in transit) I made it a point to walk past that sign, conveniently close to Boystown, in order to feel the failure. But their hearts are made of win for this.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on June 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM · Report this
what_now 13
It gets better unless you are cursed by a man with a billy goat. Then, not so much.

@2 I lolled.
Posted by what_now on June 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM · Report this
gember 14
Go cubs! ...though it would've been nice to see some more big names in the lineup appearing. I'm glad to see Dempster (and Byrd and Barney), but where's the rest of the team?
Posted by gember on June 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM · Report this
You know, after watching this Cubs season, maybe it's LGBT youths who should be making a video for Cubs players telling them "It Gets Better."

Which would be a lie. Because for the Cubs, it never gets better.

Sigh.

Great move on the part of the Cubs organization though.
Posted by jdingo9 on June 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM · Report this
gttim 16
"Stay strong and be true to yourself. It gets better."

I like that line. It applies to all!
Posted by gttim on June 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM · Report this
venomlash 17
Woo! Yay Cubbies!

@8: Ever heard of Play60? It's the NFL's main public-service project, focused on fighting obesity by helping make sure kids get proper amounts of exercise. They also have a longstanding partnership with the United Way.
Some pro sports really reach out to the community beyond simply being entertainment. We just don't hear about it as much.
Posted by venomlash on June 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM · Report this