Monday, June 20, 2011

Bristol Palin: Levi Raped Me

Posted by on Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Your daddy is a rapist, Tripp.
  • "Your daddy is a rapist, Tripp."
Bristol Palin now claims that she was abstinent and was saving herself for marriage—was so!—and that she only got pregnant as unmarried, abstinent teenager because this "gnat" Levi Johnston got her drunk on wine coolers and raped her in a tent.

Um... so when's the defamation lawsuit, Levi?

And for what it's worth: I don't believe Bristol. It's not that I think boys like Levi are incapable of getting girls black-out drunk on wine coolers and fucking 'em after they've passed out in tents, or that boys who rape drunk girls shouldn't be arrested and prosecuted. It's just that Bristol's story—which comes so long after her two broken engagements to Levi—is the kind of self-exonerating bullshit that scared teenagers offer up to parents and other authority figures when it's just their good-girl reputations and saving-myself-for-marriage self-images that are on the line. And Bristol's got a lot more than that on the line: she's a spokesnoodle for an abstinence organization and a rightwing darlin' and she's out there workin' the sexphobe speaking circuit. ("Screw as I say, not as I screw.") Bristol has a paycheck to worry about. And just as the story of Paul Revere's Midnight Ride had to be changed to protect Sarah Palin's public image/political viability, the story of Tripp Palin's conception has now been changed to protect Bristol Palin's public image/financial viability.

But Sarah didn't get away with rewriting history and neither should Bristol.

Cool, I am sooooo glad to hear we don't have to believe women's date rape stories anymore, especially when they come out a few years late.
Posted by Was she dressed like a slut too? on June 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM · Report this
GlamB0t 2
Where's my "GOD HATES WINE COOLERS" sign when I need it?
Posted by GlamB0t on June 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM · Report this
I'm glad Savage finally agrees that women lie about rape and we should assume they are lying, especially when they are religious. I mean, only women dressed as sluts get raped right?
Posted by She's not slutty enough to be believed on June 20, 2011 at 10:44 AM · Report this
Eric Arrr 4
Every teenager and former teenager who remembers actually trying to get seriously drunk on wine coolers knows exactly what to make of this story.
Posted by Eric Arrr on June 20, 2011 at 10:45 AM · Report this
@4 exactly. She's lying about rape. Happens ALL the time. Especially in the murky world of date rape.
Posted by Lying Slut on June 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 6
Crying rape where there is no rape is a crime worse than rape: Because it calls into question every woman who is *actually* raped, and gives credence to the rapists. What a sick fuck.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on June 20, 2011 at 10:51 AM · Report this
@1 Shes been directly in the public eye and hasn't been afraid to call Levi out on anything else. Shit, it would have been a great thing for Sarah on the campaign trail if she had said she was raped then because it would have showed conviction to keep a rape baby. And it would have given Sarah more excuses to sound fucking retarded because "i'm sorry, I haven't been reading any news papers lately because i'm so shocked and hurt by my daughter's rape"
Posted by tigntink on June 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM · Report this
seatackled 8
Ha ha ha ha!

Johnston cashed in on his newfound fame in ways Palin found appalling.
Posted by seatackled on June 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM · Report this
Wow Dan...maybe you should've come to Slutwalk and learned a few things. Outrageous.
Posted by Dan Savage perpetuates rape myths. on June 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM · Report this
She was probably dressed like a slut too, right Dan?
Posted by She asked for it! on June 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM · Report this
Asparagus! 11
I think it's a fallacy to act like Bristol Palin and Sarah Palin are functionally different people. Do you really think Sarah Palin isn't calling the shots on Bristol's public persona?
Posted by Asparagus! on June 20, 2011 at 10:54 AM · Report this
"Crying rape where there is no rape is a crime worse than rape"

So, did you carry that sign at Slutwalk this weekend?
Posted by Sluts sluts sluts! on June 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Banna 13
Ah, the "I'm soooooo drunk on Boone's Farm" excuse for little ladies who are looking for a good fuck, but don't want to take any responsibility for it the next morning.

No means no, but not when you're only saying it for the first time the next morning to explain your walk of shame.

Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on June 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Asparagus! 14
@13

Fuck you.
Posted by Asparagus! on June 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 15
@Unregistereds, are you srs? After all the dragging through the mud that was done to the (admittedly asinine) Levi? I think @7 nailed this shit on the head.
Posted by More, I Say! on June 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM · Report this
While this story does not make sense to me given the facts I think I know, I believe we need to stay true to our principles on this.

Given that Bristol Palin's family has resources to provide the therapy and mental support appropriate for anyone compelled to make such a story public, I think we should concentrate on the potential justice aspect of this. I believe the statue of limitations has not run out, and so we must put pressure on the local prosecutor and police to investigate.
Posted by We can't let this stand just because we are uncofortable! on June 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM · Report this
@5 It does not happen all the time. It happens 2% of the time, just like false reporting of any other crime. It's just that when it does happen, it's highly publicized so that idiots like you will think that women are lying bitches, and so that the real rape victims will be afraid of reporting their own rapes. If Bristol Palin is lying, she just prevented the other 98 real rape victims from being believed.
Posted by random_lez on June 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM · Report this
BEG 18
@7, yeah.

Saving my sympathy for the cheerleader in Texas, frankly.
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on June 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM · Report this
If its just a self-serving lie why didn't she trot it out years ago?
Posted by here's hoping the kid never gets raped on June 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM · Report this
Banna 20
@14: because all rape allegations are legit, right?

Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on June 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM · Report this
Rujax! 21
When will these trailertrash asshole Palins go away.

Fuck...they give trailertrash a bad name.
Posted by Rujax! http://rujax.blogspot.com/ on June 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Claiming you were raped for political reasons is pretty fucking sick. You can't just throw shit like that out years after the fact in order to justify your pregnancy. Maybe it's true, but I'm going to have to call it pretty fucking convenient.
Posted by Jizzlobber on June 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM · Report this
BTW I don't want anyone to think i'm any sort of rape denier or apologist. I was raped when I was 15, but I NEVER talked about the guy who did it until I was 20. It was too painful. I never even mentioned that I was even there (the place I was raped) to anyone. Thats why I find it odd that Bristol could talk about and see Levi on a regular basis for almost 3 years after "the incident" and then just now say nonchalantly "well it was rape"
Posted by tigntink on June 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM · Report this
Come on, everyone knows Republican women lie about rape all the time. Jeez, did u not learn anything at Slutwalk?
Posted by Lying slut! on June 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM · Report this
John Horstman 25
True or false (I suspect false, though that suspicion makes me a little uneasy, given the cultural history of rape denialism/apologism; while I generally think all rape accusations should be taken seriously - not that we should necessarily assume that they're true, but we should definitely not assume that they're false - Bristol's total lack of credibility with respect to her sexual practices over that past several years and the political motivations involved render this as suspect as I can imagine), the suggestion that Levi raped Bristol demonstrates that, in fact, abstinence is NOT 100% effective at preventing pregnancy nor STI transmission, as the abstinence-only crowd likes to claim. Given the unfortunate frequency of rape, it may actually be less effective than hormonal birth control.

At any rate, this sure is going to cause some nasty flame wars in the feminist blogosphere.

@6: I'm not sure it's worse, but false rape accusations are pretty bad; I agree that they lend credence to rape apologism, which helps perpetuate a rape culture.
Posted by John Horstman on June 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM · Report this
I'd like to know how Levi forced such an upstanding Christian young lady to drink alcohol! Did he tie her up and use a funnel?
Posted by LML on June 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM · Report this
@19 Because years ago, she was going to marry him to fix the whole out-of-wedlock baby thing. Now that it's clear that Levi is never going to marry her, she came up with something else.

And although I normally believe rape claims on principle... I don't think a girl that age who really was raped would want to discuss it in a book, especially if she knew she was going to be attacked by so many people for the claim. Even those of us who have accepted that it's not our fault and that it doesn't really make us different are usually kind of sensitive about people saying it was. Also, like someone else said, the statute of limitations hasn't run out on this one- she could've just had him charged and stayed anonymous until the media jumped on it, but it would've made her story a lot more plausible.
Posted by alguna_rubia on June 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM · Report this
Palins lie. It comes as naturally to them as breathing. Mama Bear can't open her mouth without lies spilling out. If this were just some girl, she'd get the benefit of the doubt, but she's a tool being used by a giant media lie machine.
Posted by pox on June 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 29
@20,

No, because you're a scumbag.
Posted by keshmeshi on June 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM · Report this
"Claiming you were raped for political reasons is pretty fucking sick"

Calling a rape victim a liar for political reasons is noble!

Glad to see Savage has given rapists carte blanche to rape white, republican women.
Posted by Wow, the hypocrisy here is fucking stunning on June 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM · Report this
Um, wasn't Quinn on "Glee" drunk on wine coolers when she conceived her bastard child with Puck?
Posted by BGKev on June 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM · Report this
Since Tripp was born in the end of December, it also means that they were camping in Alaska in the end of March when the average high temp is 33 degrees and the average low is 16. Maybe that is warm for Alaska but...
Posted by atlantaqueer on June 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM · Report this
"Tripp was born in the end of December, it also means that they were camping in Alaska in the end of March when the average high temp is 33 degrees and the average low is 16. "

Exactly. Lying slut.
Posted by Plus she was wearing a short skirt on June 20, 2011 at 11:28 AM · Report this
Banna 34
@29: thanks for that evaluation; the opinion of random people on the internet means a lot to me. And what's scummy about saying that some women lie about rape to protect their reputation? Is it not true?
Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on June 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM · Report this
debug 35
Levi may be just another scummy person in the Alaskan hillbilly melodrama but he definitely should file a defamation suit against virgin Bristol.

Rape's one of the few crimes where an accused man is considered guilty; even if he somehow manages to prove himself innocent.

Posted by debug on June 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM · Report this
If I was Levi I'd sue her naked. False accusations of rape are as scummy as committing a real one.
Posted by robot ghost on June 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM · Report this
Does she actually declare that she was raped? All the news story says is that she got very drunk and didn't remember it happening. That could be rape, but it's also possible to have a few drinks in you and actively indicate consent.
Posted by Morosoph on June 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM · Report this
"And what's scummy about saying that some women lie about rape to protect their reputation?"

Because that's exactly what Dan Savage is saying here.....oh the irony of this posting the day after Slutwalk. Suddenly half of slog thinks women lie about rape.

It's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
Posted by It's ok to rape conservative women! on June 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM · Report this
@37 according to the law if are too drunk to remember you are probably too drunk to give consent.
Posted by tigntink on June 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 40
@ 32, that was only their "first time." As the article notes, "When she confronted him about their sexual encounter, he said what she wanted to hear: They wouldn't do it again until they were married. It didn't work out that way..."
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM · Report this
BEG 41
False rape is actually pretty low: the price of claiming you have been raped is *extremely* high -- and given that almost no one believes a woman who has *actually* been raped, why would there be any incentive to falsely claim, anyway? If you were not five years old, virgin, white & blond, and stone cold sober at the time, you can kiss any shred of public belief good bye. It's not even good enough to video tape the incident (jury acquitted an accused rapist in Orange county last year or so even with the video tape corroboration). The belief that women will lie is just that strong -- and is *very* easily used in legal defense beause of that.

So while it can and does happen -- it is pretty much in the extremely rare 2% category. Which, by the way, is backed up in analysis of police reports and so on and so forth.

I disbelieve Bristol precisely for the reasons outlined in @7 -- they could have made much political hay at the time over that if that's what happeend.

I *do* believe alcohol was involved, though. I'll give her that.
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on June 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM · Report this
rara avis 42
This story set off every bullshit detector I have. I was blackout drunk on winecoolers, I was using condoms AND the pill but got pregnant anyway. I know I could be wrong but it seems so obviously a narrative designed to appease the abstinence-only groups who are writing her paychecks.

This kind of rape happens. But every false rape accusation is a huge "fuck you" to people who were actually raped. I feel like this is encouraging abstinence-only kids who have shame induced regrets after they invariably have sex to backpedal like this too.
Posted by rara avis on June 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 43
@ Dan, I don't see where this article shows she's claiming rape. She may be trying to blame the booze, or whatever, but that's a far cry from claiming rape.

I think you better change your phrasing.
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM · Report this
On a side note:
As a paid spokesperson for abstinence, I find the claim that she was impregnated while on birth control dubious.
Posted by sall on June 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM · Report this
@42 Exactly. She's a lyin' slut.
Posted by No means yes if I disagree with your politics on June 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 46
Let's see...what we know is:

1) Rapes happen.
2) False accusations of rape happen (albeit the frequency is hotly debated.)
3) Pretty much everyone does something they regret as a teenager.
4) Bad things happen when inexperienced drinkers consume alcohol in uncontrolled situations
5) Some people behave as though completely conscious when blacking out
6) Someone who is both inexperienced and drunk himself is probably a poor judge of someone else's state of mind, particularly if he is also horny at the time.
7) Memoirs tend to be self-serving.

The only thing I feel comfortable saying about this case is that it is probably a very bad one from which to draw broader conclusions.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on June 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM · Report this
@44 Exactly because everyone knows condoms re 100% safe, especially with drunk sluts.
Posted by What a slutty slut on June 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM · Report this
@39, if that's true, then I was raped on an occasion or two in my misspent youth. But I don't really buy that: I was drunk, and made decisions I may not have sober. If Bristol was clearly incapable of consent, then yeah, that's entering criminal territory, but it's not always that clear. (I've known drunks who can appear much less drunk than they are.)

And more to the point, I don't see any indication she's actually saying she was raped, which ought to count for something.
Posted by Morosoph on June 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM · Report this
The Beatles 49
Sooner or later, Bristol has to face up to the fact that she was just Levi Revere's "midnight ride"
Posted by The Beatles on June 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM · Report this
"but it's not always that clear"

Did you wear that on your t-shirt during Slutwalk? I did and got yelled at....

"she was just Levi Revere's "midnight ride""

Ha ha ha ha.... gotta love a good rape joke, especially after Slutwalk.
Posted by Never believe a slut on June 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM · Report this
Levi was allowed to live in Bristol(15/16 yo)'s room for over a year. Presumably fucking every night with Sarah and Todd in the same house*. I know some parents do go along with those arrangements, but they usually they know to keep their mouths shut about anybody else's parenting. Sarah is never challenged.

Can you imagine the media giving pass to a Democrat allowing a teenage fuckfest under their roof? The Clintons or Obamas would be crucified for allowing their teen daughters to take BC or get a depo shot "just in case". Listen to President Obama having to pretend he'll kick the ass of any kid who asks Malia to the school dance in a Father's Day interview this weekend.

*They probably have a separate wing for the kids and weren't home that much, but still.
Posted by SoSea Resident on June 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM · Report this
rara avis 52
Jesus, unregistered troll - take your fucking meds.
Posted by rara avis on June 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 53
@34,

It might have something to do with your phrasing which clearly implicates ALL women in the actions of a scant few. But, don't worry, everything you've ever written on Slog indicates that you're vermin. Your reputation is secure.
Posted by keshmeshi on June 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM · Report this
Danny, you need to teach your boy-crush Levi that anal rape is 100% safe effective birth control.....
Posted by us on June 20, 2011 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Banna 55
@53: I think you need your reading glasses, or a sarcasm adjustment, or something. I didn't imply anything; I just said it's the "Boone's Farm" defense of saying you were drunk when you're not happy with the choice you just made. I didn't say all women use it, or most women, or even a significant amount. But since you know so much about me, your opinion must be valid, and you couldn't be projecting anything about yourself at all.
Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on June 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM · Report this
#28 nailed it.
Posted by TBne on June 20, 2011 at 1:02 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 57
We'll never know for sure who's lying. Bristol and Levi both seem pretty fucking unreliable to me. There's no evidence whatsoever besides the word of two people I don't trust.

So I have no opinion. This (Bristol/Levi) is an issue we ought to drop.

For a lot of women out there, getting hammered on wine coolers is how they work up their nerve to get with a guy. (A lot of guys do the same) For some guys out there, getting a girl hammered beyond the ability to think or resist is a way to "get laid." (Women generally don't need to do this and if they try the results are spongy.) The first are a sad result of a sex negative society, the second are the evil product of a sex negative society. Some girls, out of shame or a desire for revenge or whatever, claim to be victims of sexual assault of some kind or another. This is also evil. In all these cases it's often only a couple people who ever know the absolute truth.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on June 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM · Report this
I agree with Matt in Denver, @Dan. Nowhere in the AP article is Bristol quoted as saying that Levi raped her.
Posted by riot gorl on June 20, 2011 at 1:33 PM · Report this
@43- she described a rape. If you described how some kid took a candy bar off your store shelf and put it in her pocket and walked out of the store without paying, you're accusing her of shoplifting whether or not you deign to press charges or use the word "theft." She doesn't even have to be bothered by it, in retrospect, for it to have been rape.

Maybe there were a lot of reasons she didn't want to frame rape as rape, or reasons it seemed like an unremarkable tale to her. Maybe that's such a common occurrence with her friends that when she presented it as the official how-a-good-girl-gets-pregnant story, it didn't cross her mind how skeezy and terrible and rape-y it sounds. I can see how, say, if no one around you talks about sex, consent seems too murky and confusing and embarrassing to establish, so you have drunk sex to have blameless sex. I can see how she could tell this story, whether true or not, and not perceive that it's a story about rape.
Posted by Orsh on June 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM · Report this
@54: I do not have a crush on Levi. You're thinking of Andrew Sullivan. I have a crush on Johnny Weir.
Posted by Dan Savage on June 20, 2011 at 1:56 PM · Report this
Packeteer 61
Whoa I had no idea you could write a memoir at 20. Who the hell thinks she has lived enough life to pontificate.

Also FWIW false accusations of rape are worse than committing rape. Not only do they harm the falsely accused but they also harm all women who are victims of rape.

The numbers around false accusation of rape are contentious but really only in terms in reports to law enforcement. Everyone knows that these casual accusations that are never reported to police fly around to excuse all kinds of behavior as Dan said. What is debated is how often a women is willing to go to trial and accuse someone of raping her when she knows it's not true. It is very easy just to try and jab at some guy knowing that without a trial nobody will ever get to the truth.
Posted by Packeteer on June 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 62
@9, @24, all the same guy, as a Republican the only time you care about any of these topics is when you can pretend to call Savage out on hypocrisy.

Why not actually take a stand for something aside from being a contrarian to every single one of Savage's columns?
Posted by undead ayn rand on June 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM · Report this
This is one situation where no one can know this late after the fact. I believe the phrase is 'innocent until proven guilty' and it applies as easily to Bristol as it does to Levi. The flame war does nothing to stop false accusations or automatic assumptions of 'lying slut' until the paradigm shift when consensual sex becomes sinless in this backasswards puritan society and women are allowed to be sexual creatures without being shamed or becoming victims. Much as I hate to say it, Yoko was right all those years ago: 'Woman is the nigger of the world.' The Palins and their ilk seem perfectly comfortable keeping it that way. Even a black, short, socialist, femme queer boy fairs better than an any-sexual-orientation, any-appearance, any-political-view woman, still...we need an androgenous spring, not an arabic spring..
Posted by This is why we can't progress out of Puritanism... on June 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Women who lie about getting raped make me sick. It took such a transformation for our society to take rape as seriously as it does. Abusing that kind of trust is a terrible thing.

And the sad part? She could just play the repentant sinner role and end up just as popular and just as wealthy.
Posted by DRF on June 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM · Report this
Anyone who writes an autobiography under the age of 60 is questionable anyways.
Posted by jenstnick on June 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM · Report this
If she really believes she was date raped then it's time to put her rapist behind bars for the safety of other women. She needs to bring this to a court. The jury/judge will decide whether he's guilty. Until then he's presumed innocent.

That said, My inclination is to assume she's full of shit. If this actually happened I find it hard to believe this story would not have come out sooner. Do you really think that Sarah would let the rapist of her daughter walk free all these years? She would have shot him from a helicopter.
Posted by Root on June 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM · Report this
@Various commenters above:

MAKING A FALSE RAPE ACCUSATION IS NOT HALF AS BAD AS RAPING. For crying out loud!

The frequency of false rape accusations is about equal to the frequency of false accusations for other crimes - about 2% - although our cultural seems to think otherwise. This CLEARLY isn't the fault of those 2%: their power is no different from that of the 2% falsely reporting other crimes.

So you know what lends credence to the idea that women are lying whores, and people don't deserve to be taken seriously when they report rape? It's assholes like you who bring up the "lying whore" trope when someone reports rape. And it's assholes like you who blame those 2% for the rape culture endemic in our entire society.
Posted by noahkins on June 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM · Report this
If Levi was going to rape someone I think he would have picked an attractive woman.
Posted by econoline on June 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM · Report this
I don't think she's saying it's rape - she's saying "it's not my fault." Classic girl who wants to not be a virgin anymore to get drunk (all by herself I'm assuming unless the funnel idea mentioned above happened) and then "passes out."

She had no idea that drinking a lot and being alone in a tent with her boyfriend was a bad idea. Really.

Here's a girl who claims she wanted to wait for marriage and yet these are her actions. Someone who wants to wait for marriage doesn't drink and be alone in a tent with her boyfriend.

I'd bet money she was not passed out and knew what was happening.

This isn't to say that a young girl couldn't get drunk and pass out and be raped. Absolutely.

But Bristol is sure making a lot of excuses (didn't want to do it again, was on birth control) for someone who wanted to wait for marriage.

You have to feel for little Tripp with all these fine adult role models.
Posted by westello on June 20, 2011 at 3:07 PM · Report this
It's possible but it seems highly unlikely. I've known many women who have been raped but I don't know any who became engaged to their rapist after the fact, outside of Luke and Laura on "General Hospital." My mom watched the show when I was young and that whole Luke/Laura drove me nuts. He raped her and they're supposed to be this great couple.

I also don't think that a black-out drunk woman + sex = rape. If that's the case, I was raped multiple times in my early 20s by one of my female friends and I know many lesbians who were "raped" by other lesbians. I just wanted to take the gender issue out of the equation to give a different perspective.

There's a huge difference between blackout and passout but some people think they're interchangeable. Passout is basically unconscious/not able to stand and no one should try anything with a woman in this state, whereas blackout just means extremely drunk and not likely to remember what you did/said later. I have had friends let me drive home numerous times when I was blacked out and they assumed I just had a few because I was dancing, chit-chatting, doing all the usual. I have never had a friend let me drive home when I was passed out because I wasn't able to stand up.

Just to clarify, this behavior is long in the past.
Posted by Blacked out does not mean raped on June 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM · Report this
DRF Our society does not take rape seriously at all actually. Most rape kits sit untested for years, most police departments actively discourage women from making any report of their rapes and people regularly denounce any woman who reports being raped as a liar.
Also, Bristol does not use the word rape anywhere in her account of what happened, nor did she report it at the time.
Posted by PatMcann on June 20, 2011 at 3:41 PM · Report this
"Spokesnoodle"? When did that appear? :-)
Posted by ankylosaur on June 20, 2011 at 3:58 PM · Report this
cyranothe2nd 73
The rape apologism in this thread and in the blog post are appalling. You ought to be ashamed, Dan.
Posted by cyranothe2nd on June 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM · Report this
I'm not sure about the stats on false rape claims -- I've seen everything from 3% (not 2% -- that I haven't seen anywhere) to 40% -- and I mean only published sources (journals, etc.). I, for one, think this problem deserves more research. (I'm a big fan of gathering more data -- anything deserves more research! :-)

As for false rape claims being just like false claims of any crime... Yes and no. Feminists from Brownmiller on have made rape emblematic for certain things in society. If you believe in that -- if you believe in "rape culture" and that rape tells us something about gender -- then you'd logically have to believe that false rape claims also tell us something about our society, and "rape culture", and gender relations.

One can't have it both ways. Either rape is just a crime, with no deeper significance than any other crime (theft, murder, fraud, etc.) -- in which case false rape claims are just like any other false crime claims -- or then it isn't, and in this case false rape claims also aren't just like any other false rape claims.
Posted by ankylosaur on June 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM · Report this
As for Bristol Palin, in the article Dan linked to she indeed does not use the words 'rape' or 'rapist' -- Levi is only 'the gnat'. Why isn't she saying 'rape'? Is it because of a different vision of what rape is (she thinks she should take responsibility for being drunk, etc.)... or does she think the rape claim (investigations and all) would not stand if examined by the police?

In order words, does she have any interest in pressing charges? One should expect her to, since rape is a serious crime. But if she doesn't press charges, after describing the scene with 'the gnat' in her book, what would that mean? That she doesn't want the claim to be investigated?
Posted by ankylosaur on June 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 76
@ 67, right and wrong are not dependent on rate of occurrence. You think it's not "half as bad?" Ask any man who's spent years in jail for rapes he didn't commit.

That said, there is definitely something wrong with our culture and how it regards women. But you're off base.
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM · Report this
PatMcCann, I think this depends on where you are. I was in a date rape hotline once in university, and frankly, the attitude was exactly the opposite of what you describe -- even very iffy/doubtful cases where treated as if they were clear and obvious.
Posted by ankylosaur on June 20, 2011 at 4:22 PM · Report this
'Rape apologism'?

Sigh!...

What ever happened to civilized discussion and exchange of ideas, evidence, and arguments? :-)
Posted by ankylosaur on June 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM · Report this
"MAKING A FALSE RAPE ACCUSATION IS NOT HALF AS BAD AS RAPING."

Why? I'd say it depends (in both cases) on the circumstances, and on how hurt the people in question were.

Life is case-by-case. Unfortunately, the one-size-fits-all attitude doesn't really match the way the world is.
Posted by ankylosaur on June 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM · Report this
balderdash 80
If Bristol Palin weren't just one more PR tool for her mother, I might hesitate to cast doubt on a young woman's account of being raped. If this were not occurring in a milieu of kabuki hypocrisy, I might think it deserved a second thought. If this were about a person and not politics, it might actually be about rape.

That is not, however, the case.

This is some self-justifying revisionist bullshit right here. Fuck the Palins. Fuck every single one of their horrible inbred clan of psychopaths. Levi Johnston's only crime was being rock-stupid enough to fuck a Palin in the first place, and even that was under the extenuating circumstances of "What/who the fuck else is there to do in Nowhere, Alaska?"

And you know what? I might be wrong. Maybe this is really how things happened and Sarah was just saving it for a moment when she thought she needed the attention/exoneration. Maybe Bristol is just being used entirely without her consent. At this point, short of some miracle of accidental cameraphone historiography, it is not possible that we will ever know for sure one way or another, and Sarah Palin, by making this a public affair instead of keeping it as private as it should have been, bears the entirety of the blame for creating a situation in which a genuine victimization could not ever be wholly believed or redressed.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on June 20, 2011 at 4:26 PM · Report this
cyranothe2nd 81
@78--how do you have a civilized discussion with people who say that Levi couldn't have raped Bristol because she isn't pretty enough? Sigh indeed.
Posted by cyranothe2nd on June 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Yes, I agree that falsely claiming rape is less bad than rape, but that's a personal opinion that psychological and emotional health are more important than public opinion. However. If that false claim causes financial or legal burdens you ought to be able to Sue the bejeezus out of the person.
Posted by beccoid on June 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM · Report this
Cascadian 83
The attitudes on this thread are troubling. While Bristol Palin has no credibility with me, I think she could very well be telling the truth in this case. I think everyone should reserve judgment on what happened unless there's some corroboration.

But why the hell does this matter, really? We already know that abstinence education is a crock. Bristol Palin is no one of importance beyond her role as spokesperson for that cause. Her behavior and the behavior of other people toward her has no bearing on her mother's political career, which is the only reason anyone should care about anyone named Palin at all. I just wish people would stop talking about any of these people.
Posted by Cascadian on June 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM · Report this
Since only the two lovebirds know what really happened, everything that's spouted out here and everywhere else is just speculation and therefor should be handled with care.
My take on this would be that either a) Bristol got drunk, her hesitation went down south, they did the naughty consentingly, she had a hangover and this story is a cover-up (memory gap or not) or b) a Palin tells the truth for a change, Levi actually GOT her drunk with pussy in mind and is even more of a scumbag than he already was. If b) is the case, he should be prosecuted accordingly, if it's a) well, duh.

As for all the funny bunnies who accuse Dan of generalizing late blooming rape stories... reading comprehension is not your strong suit, eh? He's specifically talking about just this case. About Bristol Palin. And a Palin making shit up for the sake of smearing "enemies" -and selling books- isn't exactly new territory, is it?
Still, just speculating here, not accusing!! While I wouldn't bet my money on Palin out of experience, I'll wait for Levi's rebuttal/confession before making the final judgement, but that's just me.
Posted by illDottore on June 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM · Report this
"most police departments actively discourage women from making any report of their rapes"

BULLSHIT
Posted by Reader1 on June 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM · Report this
Making a false rape accusation is every bit as bad a raping someone.
Posted by robot ghost on June 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM · Report this
@ 48 - exactly what I was going to say!
Posted by lucy990 on June 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM · Report this
A 15-yo born again christian on birth control "to relieve menstrual cramps". I don't buy that at all. Why not use Midol or something else? You don't use birth control to relieve cramps...it is for regulating your period. A born again christian definitely wouldn't use birth control in such a manner.

She was a binge drinker prone to blacking out. I completely buy that.

Her parents were OK with her staying out overnight, and she was in the habit of lying to them. Sounds like great parenting going on there.

I do buy on to the idea that Levi took advantage of her (or raped her), but her lack of credibility makes it hard to completely believe. If Levi's buddies can corroborate that he exited the tent before she did, then perhaps Bristol is telling the truth.

What's the verdict on a man and woman (in this case two brainless teens) both being drunk and not being able to give consent? Is it still assumed that the man/boy raped the woman/girl?
Posted by Approaching 40 in LA on June 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM · Report this
Bullshit. LOL :P
Posted by MaraL on June 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM · Report this
Hey @88, Midol doesn't work well AT ALL. Birth control pills can pull cramps back into a manageable level. I'm in my early 50s, and my cramps still (STILL!) cause me to fall to my knees in pain on their first two days, each and every fucking month. I tried Midol, over and over, for several decades, and couldn't stop the cramps. The only thing that ever relieved the cramps for me was birth control pills (would YOU like to have eight full days of heavy bleeding? Switching out your "super" sized tampon every two hours, all night long? A couple more days of light bleeding on each side?). This started when I was 13. I didn't have sex until much later, but after vomiting from the pain, in school (that was fun), you can bet I got the pills.
Posted by Sarah in Olympia on June 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM · Report this
ikahana 91
She couldn't report it to the authorities. Mama would have made her buy her own rape kit with her allowance, and she didn't get any that week for stealing Todd's wine coolers from his man cave fridge.
Posted by ikahana http://psychotomimeticraindrops.blogspot.com/ on June 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM · Report this
First of all: Bristol is not her mom. Although I deplore Sarah Palin and think the values she's bombarded her children with are limiting and outdated, this young woman is not her attention-happy idiot of a mother.

Second: how in the hell would anyone know whether this is true or not? In the chance that it isn't, then Bristol is ignorantly (or consciously, even scarier) exploiting an absolutely awful crime against a person for attention and that is abominable. But, in the chance that she's telling the truth - or what really matters, HER version of the truth and not the "objective" truth - how could any of us assess the damage that has been done to her? How could any of us know what it's like to be the daughter of a prominent, albeit idiotic, politician who champions conservative, Christian values and have to live every day knowing that something that happened to you would be seen as shameful, sinful, by the public eye scrutinizing you? None of us know this. None of us know what happened. Most importantly, none of us are Bristol. If she has suffered emotional trauma, physical trauma at the hands of this boy who took her consent (or not) when she wasn't sober, then he's as guilty as sin. The most secular, trangressive sin there is.

Questioning the validity of her claim should be left in your heads. Try being compassionate in such a delicate situation, not jumping to immediately blame-placing conclusions.
Posted by mzandonlymz on June 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM · Report this
curtisp 93
Anyone who says false rape claims are worse than being raped...well go out and get raped then go ahead and tell us all about it. Especially when you consider the fact that you will be falsely accused of making false accusations and people will say that you are making it so much worse for real rape victims, blah, blah, blah, as opposed to their sorry ignorant asses, but anyway, many of us would rather be falsely accused than raped thank you.
Posted by curtisp on June 20, 2011 at 9:52 PM · Report this
@93: Homework assignment: Go download kiddie porn on a work computer. One where you know somebody will go over your logs. Accusations child molestation are right up there with crying rape as good ways to assassinate someone's character without ever having to do anything as simple as provide any proof.
Posted by ChiTodd on June 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM · Report this
@93 It depends on the end result of the false accusation. One could say that you could try spending 8 years in prison for something you didn't go getting raped not once but over and over again.
Posted by bassplayerguy on June 21, 2011 at 1:46 AM · Report this
Mrs. DePointe 96
"false accusations of rape are worse than committing rape"

Posted by Mrs. DePointe on June 21, 2011 at 5:47 AM · Report this
There seems to be a policy among left leaning women to believe, without question, any woman making an accusation of rape, regardless of the circumstances. This is the only time I can recall such women actually questioning an accusation. I think it is because Bristol Palin is the daughter of Sahara Palin who is hated by the left( I'm a liberal myself ). Hypocrites.
Posted by SavageFan50 on June 21, 2011 at 6:17 AM · Report this
I think the fact that Bristol never even used the r-word to describe the night in the tent is a masterful move on her part. I have no doubt in my mind that one or more Palin family lawyer combed over that passage to make sure it was as scandalous as possible without legal ramifications. Whether or not it was rape, if she actually said, "Levi raped me," then Levi would have recourse to sue her for slander or to otherwise prove that it wasn't legally rape. Describing a date rape scenario without using the words gives her more leeway, reframing a possible legal matter to a social one. People on the internet could try to push her to press charges on him, which would expose the sham if it is a sham, but she could "take the high road" and leave us all wondering whether it really happened like she said it did.

It's a shame, too, that poor Trig is one day going to read about his father raping his mother, whether or not it was his conception. If it's true, then this is a sad, sad matter for that kid, one that I wish he would not be exposed to. If it's not true (which I think is more likely) than Bristol is trying to destroy her child's relationships with his father, and Levi's reputation as a human being. How like her mother.
Posted by tvontheradioisokiguess on June 21, 2011 at 6:55 AM · Report this
Take out the Sarah Palin angle, and you have the following story: A 15 year old who was no doubt, experiencing heavy petting and third base marathons with her 16 year old boyfriend, then had clumsy sex with her boyfriend. 5 years later, after she finds herself separated from said boyfriend, it serves her "professional" (i.e., public image) and personal and familial interests to suggest that her 15 year old self was taken advantage of by that 16 year old boyfriend. (Ooooh...those men and their tricksy, lustful ways!) Surprise! She does so.

How many of you would believe your own daughter if she tried to peddle that to you? I wouldn't and I do have a daughter. While she gets my love, she doesn't get my unthinking, asinine support for poorly-constructed personal history revisions.

Women lie about sex, just like men. They may lie for slightly different reason at times, but they all lie about sex. She is lying about sex here, just like she likely did when she was having it then.

See the pattern, folks? She almost certainly lied at 15 to avoid the consequences. Now she is almost certainly lying again, to avoid the consequences. Since the consequences are now different, her lies are different.

But when you Womyn Power feminsists and your Sarah Palin haters/lovers true believes put on your Slutwalk ideological blinders or political hate-screed comment generators, you get 98 or so idiotic messages like the ones above. (Ankylosaur excepted)

Just think about it from the perspective of a young gal with changing incentives to lie about sex. The rest is easy.
Posted by No dog in the fight, just telling it straight on June 21, 2011 at 7:21 AM · Report this
@97--No, it is not just because of her mother. It is because she is completely changing her story a long time after the fact. In other words, the best evidence against Bristol Palin has been presented by Bristol Palin.
Posted by LML on June 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM · Report this
#98, you mean Tripp, although there is certainly a school of thought that concludes that Trig is actually Bristol's.

And I agree with you -- what she is doing is child abuse. Levi needs better lawyers, that's for sure.
Posted by riley on June 21, 2011 at 8:05 AM · Report this
For those that think false accusations are such a huge problem and equivalent to rape.

I've read all the studies. Former cop and current lawyer. The max CREDIBLE number in the US is 4%. The studies that allege higher numbers either don't cover the US or are paid for by people with an agenda.

You know how many rapists that are charged spend even 1 night in jail? 6%. The number of rapists who end up doing serious time is much, much less.

I've worked within the system and seen some pretty vile shit. We throw people in jail for minor offenses on the drug war, but unless you rape a nun or a child, your chances of spending even a day in prison for rape of an adult woman are next to nothing.

I have worked in the system in Los Angeles and I can tell you that even men who rape children often don't see the inside of a jail cell.

When it comes to sex crimes, juries don't want to believe it. Even if the victim is clearly telling the truth and clearly not asking for it.

I'm not saying false reports shouldn't be taken seriously. The Duke accuser deserved the inside of a cell. I'm just saying that the general male fear of it is overblown.

As for Bristol, it is entirely possible it was rape and she stuck by him. I've seen girls do very similar things, but in the small town I grew up in and in L.A. I'm not saying I believe her, just that it's not a crazy as people think.

Having worked with victims of rape and sexual assault, I can tell you that rational behavior very rarely flows from such a trauma. Some rape victims do precisely what you are saying is impossible.

I had two clients who were teenage lesbians who were raped (at the same time) when they were way too drunk to consent. Both minimized what happened and tried to "work it out" with the men. Even though the men were older and had no sexual appeal for the girls. One ended up pregnant and tried to marry the bastard. It may seem irrational to you, but it's what people do when they are societally conditioned to be sex-negative and to view women's bodies as property.

Finally, on the issue of rape. There are three perspectives...One is that their has to be force. (Almost everyone thinks this is too rigid and doesn't give women control over their bodies). The second is that there has to be continuation when there is either no consent possible or an affirmative statement of "NO" from a woman. (i.e. "No means no"). The last is that their has to be affirmative consent by either words or deeds (i.e., yes means yes). What Bristol describes is clearly not #1. It may fit #2. Almost certainly, she did not say to Levi "Let's do it", so it fits #3.

And before I hear how people have to get drunk to do it, is this actually behavior you want to reinforce? Men being predatory and women being victims? I'd much rather people get to the point where we are sexually free to do what we want and women and men have true agency over their bodies.

Oh, and if you think a man would ever see the inside of a jail on a "she was drunk" type...I've seen those trials. Never, ever seen a conviction.

That 6% that end up in jail is overwhelmingly violent rape of an undeniable victim.
More...
Posted by ABW on June 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM · Report this
"I have a crush on Johnny Weir."

Ah, who doesn't?

I find it hilarious that Bristol was on birth control "for her cramps". She is the very essence of believability, especially on these issues.
Posted by Suzy on June 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM · Report this
If a false accusation of rape leads to successful prosecution, the result for the falsely accused man would be prison and then repeated rape at the hands of fellow inmates.
Posted by False Imprisonment + Brutality on June 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM · Report this
I have very little doubt that things *basically* occurred as she said - these type of deflowerings are all too common, as others have pointed out. I doubt she understands that it looks like rape. (She never calls it that.) She probably blamed herself and did the Christian thing - which is agreeing to marry the man-child who took advantage of you, so that your parents won't be humiliated by your teen pregnancy. Why isn't this connecting for anyone else? Why isn't it connecting for Dan? That happens all the time, and I have no doubt it happens in Palin Country.

Thanks for the valuable reality-check, #102.
Posted by trolley on June 21, 2011 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Is consent while drunk, still consent?
Posted by SavageFan50 on June 21, 2011 at 2:56 PM · Report this
Right, I agree @105. Ockham's razor. One scared kid who is being mind-raped by her own family. (and hopefully only that....)
Posted by poenoel on June 21, 2011 at 3:13 PM · Report this
I think the problem here is that she left it SO open to interpretation. She should have expanded upon it in a way where we knew what she was actually saying. The way I read it, it REALLY imply s rape and I feel she should have left that out of her book or been had more conviction in what she said... explained more details. I am not saying I wouldn't believe her if she said she was, but thats the problem, she really didn't say she was.

I have had drunken intercourse that I would have NOT had sober and didn't remember most of but I did know that I was completely down for it when it happen. Did that guy take advantage of me? Yeah, he could have said no you are too drunk but it wasn't in any way rape and it was completely consensual. I think she needs to clarify what she means ... it isn't okay to just throw it out there the way she did.
Posted by moreinfoplease on June 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM · Report this
Oh, utter baloney. She claims she was on birth control "for cramps"? Staying overnight on a tent trip, about which she lied to the parents? And even though she supposedly couldn't remember a thing that happened, she knew enough to knew her "wait for marriage" vow had been broken? How, did one of Levi's friends indicate this? Did she question Levi about it later, to get confirmation? And upon receiving such confirmation, her parents let him move into the house so they could keep doing it?

And I'm to believe that The Very First Time they had sex, she conceived little Tripp? Umm, I don't think that timeline even works with the stated dates of their relationship, and it means they were camping in Alaska in March. Now, I'm not a toughened, hardy type like Bristol, but even down here in the lower 48 where I live, March generally means really cold or even snowy. Is Alaska not like that?

All the pertinent details are blurred right out of this account, and Ockham's razor suggests a different explanation to me: because the whole thing is a lot of bullshit.
Posted by Suzy on June 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM · Report this
She wasn't a whore before, but she is now.
Posted by PaulNJ on June 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM · Report this
I am more inclined to believe someone's indictment of another for rape, if said someone went first and immediately to the police, rather than waiting several years and then making a mint off it by selling the story to a magazine.

Some of you fucking people will believe anything.
Posted by Central Scrutinizer on June 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Sorry folks, the facts as alleged are NOT rape. She got drunk- voluntarily. She spent the night with her boyfriend in a tent- voluntarily. The reason 6% of rapists go to prison is because that is probably the number of 'true' rapists out there. The other 94% are mostly women who changed their minds, had second thoughts, or didn't have an orgasm. If a girl acts as outlined in this scenario then she has already given voluntary consent to have sex. Let the flames begin!

OF COURSE she can REVOKE that consent any time she damn well pleases and play all the games in the world with her boyfriend which, of course, is standard practice. Several years after the fact and after sleeping with her "fiancee" for a year is a bit late for revocation.

A girl does NOT need to specifically say "no." Similarly, a girl does NOT need to specifically say "yes" if her behavior indicates "yes" then a reasonable guy can take her "yes" to the bank. Where is the force or threat of force in this scene?

BTW: I am a lawyer. I have represented rapists and I have counseled victims of rape. There IS A DIFFERENCE between REAL RAPE and all this bullshit drama that so many women pull. Rape is a serious crime of violence. All that other bullshit is just drama and it diminishes the real victims.
Posted by Professor on June 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM · Report this
venomlash 113
@112: Shitstorm imminent.
But you are kind of an ass for claiming that 94% of all reported rapes are false...
Posted by venomlash on June 21, 2011 at 9:12 PM · Report this
Oh please, 94%. Being a lawyer obviously doesn't spare you from being an idiot.
Posted by Suzy on June 22, 2011 at 12:49 AM · Report this
You're a miserable human being, Mr Savage.
Posted by CKREM on June 22, 2011 at 1:42 AM · Report this
@98 It seems to me like you might have hit the nail on the head.

@112 While I dispute your numbers, the logic stands.

As a male, my only experience with rape was when an ex-girlfriend accused me or rape a week after I broke up with her, and then the subsequent harassment by her mother, etc. Of course, the rape never happened, for that matter, sex never happened, I broke up with her after two months because I noticed she was going a little psycho, which was proven after I broke it off. So I guess from my unique context, 100% of rape accusations are false. Of course, in the broad spectrum of society, I'm sure that number is significantly lower. I am, however, a firm believer that regretting it the next morning, does not constitute rape.

Also, if she cannot remember what happened, then how can she say for sure that she did not rape him? I will await Dan's column commenting on Levi's book where he is sure to talk about the same encounter!
Posted by Dal Tiger on June 22, 2011 at 7:01 AM · Report this
Charm 117
Who cares? Really?
Posted by Charm on June 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM · Report this
I think if you care enough about this to pass judgment, it's worth reading her actual version of the story in context since it's true that nowhere in the excerpt Dan has linked to does she claim rape.

@59: Unless you've read her book, you don't know that she's described a rape. If you've only read Dan's link, you've just read a journalist's paraphrasing of her story. Either way, the headline "Levi Raped Me" is totally sensationalistic.
Posted by Amanda on June 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM · Report this
@7 Also, saying a rape claim would have made political hay for Palin during her campaign is short-sighted. She would have had to contend with everyone would doesn't believe a scenario like this amounts to rape. Dan and most people on this thread are also operating under the assumption that Palin and her family view this type of event as a rape.
Posted by Amanda on June 22, 2011 at 10:37 AM · Report this
@112 Sounds like somebody didn't get laid last night.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on June 23, 2011 at 5:58 AM · Report this
If this were true, even Levi wouldn't have been stupid enough to strike out on his own and leave the Palin tent. This had to have been her mother's idea, as legendarily vindictive as she is.
Posted by wompwomp on June 23, 2011 at 9:40 AM · Report this
@31 presumably someone gave her a season 1 DVD recently.

The marketing side of my brain would like to point out that wine coolers were essentially a creation of the early 80's tax code, and they pretty much went extinct when it changed in the mid 90's (or around that time). There are plenty of alcopop drinks, very few wine coolers. Maybe I'm parsing it a little too closely.

Even if so. I'd like to point out that 18% of people report drinking prior to their "first coitus". Presumably 82% lie about it, but even if they didn't, it's not exactly an uncommon thing, and I can't believe that I actually looked that up.

This particular claim is predictive of exactly nothing except for the fact that they were horny teenagers who "went camping" to get away from their parents, drink alcohol, and have sex. This can't be a news flash to any parents out there. Or anyone older than 12 and younger than 60. Can it?

Posted by TokenCanadian on June 23, 2011 at 11:01 AM · Report this
Wow, this is the kind of sexism usually heard from homophobic straight men. Good for them, I am sure they are happy to have a gay man on their side. And since Dan Savage is such a good role model in the fight against bullies, maybe I should follow his lead and be on the side of homophobic straight men too! I guess this is the day I stop supporting gay marriage. I didn't believe gay people when they said they wanted to get married, anyway.

Also, my boycotts of Chick Fila and Target are officially over.
Posted by Patricia G on June 24, 2011 at 6:07 AM · Report this
sissoucat 124
Please, we DO NOT have to debate whether Bristol's ghost writer's account of how she lost her virginity are accurate or not, and what was her mindset at the time, and how only Levi and her know the really real truth. Just read Bristol Palin's own words in 2007 (and those were not to her boyfriend Levi, but to another heartbreaker Johnny C.) :

"haha I'm a slut"
"tracks little bitch ass decided to tell my parents im a stoner.. hes so tight.."
"haha, my mom was asking me who i was on the phone with last night, and she said she had heard everything i was saying.. now she thinks im pregnant".

I've read elsewhere that, among Alaskan teenagers, she was considered as an "easy girl" with multiple partners. That's a better explanation for the pill, right ? And she did disappear for 6 months while in highschool, before her so-called "little brother"'s birth. Of whom we now have a picture in Levi's arms, dated May 2008, though Levi looks younger in it... So the rapist boyfriend of the eldest daughter was in the delivery room of Sarah Palin, holding in his arms, all by himself, a premature baby with a hole in his heart ? Please !

Many things are murky in the Palin sex and birth tales ; adding a rape account to it sounds like a desesperate attempt to lead curious minds elsewhere. Props to Dan for pointing out that this here rape story is a sham.
Posted by sissoucat on June 25, 2011 at 8:59 AM · Report this
Bristol's story reminds me of something written in the mid-1970s by the wonderful essayist Florence King. A chapter of her book "Southern Ladies and Gentlemen" was titled (something like) "The Self-Rejuvenating Virgin," featuring the range of rationalizations that the unmarried, sexually-repressed Southern Good Girl used to deny the loss of her virginity, no matter how many times the event occurred. I think the very first rationale on the list was "It didn't really happen, because I was drunk at the time."
Posted by WrteStufLA on June 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Dan, you don't have to believe Bristol. Nobody has to. But publicly "explaining" to us why her story is a lie is several steps further than not believing her. I've admired your willingness to speak out and call things as you see them, but as good as I usually find your take on a situation, you're not capable of telling who is a "real" rape survivor and who isn't based on a couple of news stories and Bristol Palin's past (hmmmm...sounds familiar...). This is really inappropriate.

It's hard enough to tolerate the hatred for women spewing from the far right of our political spectrum; we shouldn't have to tolerate it from you, too. Seriously inappropriate.

Not sure if this has been said upthread, but I didn't have the stomach to read the entire thing.
Posted by Erica on June 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Well so and so's uncle molested her when she was 7 and she didn't talk about it till she was 35. I always knew she was a liar! *sarcasm*

And yes, I can't stand bristol palin. She's a hypocrite and not that bright but that doesn't mean she couldn't have gotten raped. Not to mention whatshisface is so obviously a few chromosomes short of 46.
Posted by Dumb people can get raped too on June 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM · Report this