Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Space Needle Will Fly Pride Flag

Posted by on Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Activists say that the Space Needle is no longer demanding $50,000 be donated to charity! It's no longer waffling! It's no longer single-handedly killing gay rights!

emma's bee 1
Yay gays! I was in your town last year when the flag was flying on the needle, and it made me so proud for you. Sorry, rainbow flag haters.
Posted by emma's bee on June 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM · Report this
I liked the charity donation idea. Sorry they didn't follow through with it.
Posted by Michael H. on June 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM · Report this
yelahneb 3
The power of this week's Flag Day. UNSTOPPABLE
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on June 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM · Report this
Gay people are such psychos. It's amazing that anyone will even talk to us.
Posted by Dan Savage on June 15, 2011 at 6:45 PM · Report this
So does this mean no giant flag in the pride parade? I demand two giant pride flags and a gay partridge in a pear tree!

j/k I'll be in Seattle for pride weekend and I anticipate this will make me tear up a little.
Posted by nightlifejitters on June 15, 2011 at 7:04 PM · Report this
Granny Smith 6
The fundraiser is still on! Please donate some money so we look slightly less psycho. It is for a good cause, the needle did throw in the first $5000 and they have been surprisingly gracious about all the hysteria. The really do have a "one time only" policy for flags that they made an exception to.
Posted by Granny Smith on June 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM · Report this
meowmeowkitty 7
Gay flag bullies win.
Posted by meowmeowkitty on June 15, 2011 at 7:50 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 8
This is somehow an additional outrage.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 15, 2011 at 7:57 PM · Report this
prompt 9
Cause gay rights depends on a flag? Seriously people. Seriously. Be serious.
Posted by prompt on June 15, 2011 at 8:08 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 10
This whine-a-thon was pointless and self-defeating. I want a Lebowski flag up there. Nowwwwwwwwwwwww
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on June 15, 2011 at 8:55 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 11
I AM serious. Deadly serious. I have NEVER been more Serious. Serious, yes Serious.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on June 15, 2011 at 9:18 PM · Report this
Gays should now demand that the tower be wrapped in a flesh colored sheathe, ala Christo!
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on June 15, 2011 at 10:03 PM · Report this
ChadK 13
@ 12

Man, fuck Christo!
Posted by ChadK on June 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM · Report this
mackro 14
@9: yes, it partially does. it's an indirect push but a vital one. City iconography is quite important in helping more people get used to being in a gay friendlier place, and realizing nothing bad is happening because of it.

There's no way to convince the people making it their cause to fight gay rights e.g. Hutcherson, but there's a silent majority that's non-political and relies on cues from the media. Having one's city icon fly the pride flag is one way to accomplish that.

(It's too bad Seattle allowed their most unique skyline icon to be privately owned, but that's for a different thread.)
Posted by mackro http://mackro.blogspot.com on June 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM · Report this
michael strangeways 15
I demand that the Stranger dress Adrian Ryan in a Rainbow diaper and suspend him from a Rainbow harness for the next ten days or I'm going to pitch a fit and roll around in it.

Also, Dominic 'cause he's cute. And, any other gays you have lounging around the office.
Posted by michael strangeways http://www.seattlegayscene.com/ on June 16, 2011 at 1:00 AM · Report this
Simple gesture, not sure how much benefit, but very little cost. Good decision.
Posted by JudT on June 16, 2011 at 2:34 AM · Report this
monkey 17
I plan on writing a letter to the Space Needle's thanking them for flying the flag even though we all acted like a bunch of whiny children who didn't get ice cream for dessert. I am not a proud homo on this one.
Posted by monkey on June 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 18
I thought the linked article laid it on a bit thick. The line "Those who know how desperately our community needs financial support will have a tool to raise $50,000"

First, "Our Community" is not some collection of penniless victims. There are wealthy gay folks, middle-class gay folks, and poor gay folks. But we've always been able to fend for ourselves. As examples, look to the early days of the AIDS crisis, when we formed Chicken Soup Brigade and NW AIDS foundation.

Second, we've never needed anyone to set up a tool for us to raise money. We've done it ourselves. From groups like the Court of Seattle and the Bunny Brigade, to the big players like the Pride Foundation and the GSBA.

I know I sound like a grumpy old nit-picky queen. But it annoyed me to be addressed like a bunch of children who have to be coddled.

Speaking of that, let's not forget to donate to that charity drive. Our civic creds are on the line. If "The Community" can't raise 50k over the course of a few weeks for GLBT charities, we don't deserve to be taken seriously as an economic or political force in town.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on June 16, 2011 at 7:38 AM · Report this
um... I think they have NOT told us they will put up the flag. If we don't raise the 50K the flag doesn't go up. the letter didn't say "we're just going to stick up the flag but you should still raise money"

While it's great we will most likely make the 50K, nothing has changed yet. The wording is so easily read many ways, first time I read it over I was pumped they'd caved. Then I read it again...

If we tell everyone it's done donations will drop! I think it would be great to have record breaking donations.
Posted by capnjohnny on June 16, 2011 at 7:46 AM · Report this
Single handedly killing gay rights? Really?
Posted by iamveryseriousnow on June 16, 2011 at 8:17 AM · Report this
@20

It's a joke, dumbass.
Posted by The CHZA on June 16, 2011 at 8:44 AM · Report this
Hernandez 22
@18 There are more than a few people who acted like children who have to be coddled over this. I am not surprised.

Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on June 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM · Report this
I just hope those who were hell bent on getting the space needle to fly the flag despite the needles effort to set a standard about flag flying will be whiling to use the same level of energy to fight for marriage equality in 2012.
Posted by J-in-Tacoma on June 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM · Report this