Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ron Sims: "I Am Retiring From Public Service and Heading Back Home"

Posted by on Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Former three-term King County Executive Ron Sims announced today that he would be resigning his post as deputy secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and returning to Seattle after more than two years exiled in the other Washington. Given the timing, the news quickly sparked speculation that he may be interested in taking a second run at the governor's mansion.

Not likely. On his Facebook page Sims posted part of the message he sent to HUD employees, stating that "I am retiring from public service and heading back home to my family in Seattle." Later, he seemed to enthusiastically endorse Rep. Jay Inslee, while telling the Seattle Times that he has no plans to run for governor. I haven't always agreed with Sims, but I've learned to take him at his word.

In the spring of 2004, Sims attempted to jumpstart his flagging gubernatorial efforts by taking the radical step of making a bold state income tax proposal the central theme of his campaign. Then Attorney General Chris Gregoire pummeled Sims over the head with his tax proposal on the way to a two-to-one victory in the September primary. Seven years later, with the incomes of the wealthy being the only economic sector to robustly recover from the Great Recession, we've been forced to slash spending on schools, universities, health care and other essential services due to declining revenues.

Welcome back, Ron.

Vince 1
I hope he stays actively engaged. He has a huge wealth of knowledge.
Posted by Vince on June 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
Glad you're back, Ron!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 3
I hope he doesn't really retire - maybe a break or a long vacation while he gets back into the swing of Washington State. I love me some Ron Sims!
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on June 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM · Report this
he was always a great guest on weekday.
Posted by philosophy school dropout on June 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM · Report this
There is that 10th congressional district coming up...
Posted by headlesshorseman on June 14, 2011 at 4:00 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 6
I always liked Ron Sims. Yes, he lost against Gregoire, and his income tax proposal was probably what did him in. But I consider that unfortunate. I think he would have made a better governor, in hind sight, and we probably would be in less of a mess if we had an income tax for high income earners.

Good luck with whatever is in your future, Ron.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on June 14, 2011 at 4:10 PM · Report this
Goldy 7
@6, Actually, I don't think Ron's income tax proposal did him in. He didn't move in the polls one way or the other.

I think Dems made the decision that Gregoire was the most winnable candidate, and Sims never had a chance.
Posted by Goldy on June 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM · Report this
If Sims decided he wanted to mayor a bit that'd be all she wrote.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM · Report this
I really thought he'd have been a good governor.
Posted by ian on June 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM · Report this
He's stolen as much as he can carry.
Posted by delbert on June 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
So, no poll? Cause Seattlest has one ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM · Report this
rtm 12
Ah, it's good to be reminded of Gregoire's leadership. She has well and truly handed this state to Tim and his ilk.
Posted by rtm on June 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM · Report this
Rujax! 13
Mayor.

Mayor Ron Sims. I like it.
Posted by Rujax! http://rujax.blogspot.com/ on June 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM · Report this
If the Redistricting Commission creates a "majority-minority" Congressional district (the 10th) in south Seattle/south King County, Ron Sims' home would be well inside the boundaries.

You heard it hear first.
Posted by Citizen R on June 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 16
I'd replace McClown with Ron Sims as mayor in a heartbeat
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 14, 2011 at 5:17 PM · Report this
Watching Gregoire sob about the budget cuts proved Ron Sims prescience and wisdom--Instead of showing political courage and smarts by challenging Tim Eyman and not letting him dictate the narrative in budgetary decision making and revenue enhancement, Gregoire choose to roll with the status quo leading to the dire straits the state budget is in.

Then again, would fine folks east of the cascade ever pull the lever for an african american candidate for governor?
Posted by neo-realist on June 14, 2011 at 6:13 PM · Report this
lauramae 18
Yeah...things would be so different.
Posted by lauramae on June 14, 2011 at 7:14 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 21
By early next year, many will come to regret their decision to delay buying a home.

- King County Executive Ron Sims, September 4, 2008
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on June 14, 2011 at 7:45 PM · Report this
Jubilation T. Cornball 23
Ron Sims always struck me as a serviceable politician. Which, in the end, was a good thing because that is what he is.

Oratorial skills: check. Presence: check. Willingness to engage the voters: check. Reasonably competent: check. Capable of subterfuge and fancy dancing: check.

I blame myself for not knowing his record of success - or failure - in his DC role. But one really does have to ask: only TWO years? A whiff of the Palinesque attends this brief tenure...

And now changing track completely...

Why is it now entirely accepted SLOGgery to castigate the Mayor? Again, I'm not able to recite chapter and verse every decision - or indecision - he has driven, but I listen to him (pretty near) every time he is on the radio and I am always struck by two things:

1) He is an imminently conversant man who can discuss high-level and into the weeds policy

2) He is Daniel Pinkwater

Carry on.
Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball on June 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM · Report this
RTM, Gregoire didn't vote 1053 in. The voters did. It was an initiative and governors can't veto initiatives.

She really showed no courage of her supposed convictions, but she wasn't responsible for any of Eyman's initiatives.
Posted by sarah68 on June 14, 2011 at 10:19 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 25
Yeah, when I first heard this I hoped he'd toss in to take on Conlin next cycle or enter the Mayoral. It would turn Seattle politics into goddamn Game of Thrones.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on June 14, 2011 at 11:57 PM · Report this
Kinison 26
Mayor Sims of Seattle. Welcome Back!
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on June 15, 2011 at 5:35 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 27
I'm glad that Ron is accepting the host position from Steve Scher on KUOW.

He'll be a fine on-air personality.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM · Report this