Friday, June 10, 2011

Tracy Morgan Apologizes for Being an Unfunny Dick

Posted by on Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Following the uproar that met his grossly unfunny homophobic rant onstage at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium, Tracy Morgan has issued an official apology, sent by his press rep to the Huffington Post:

“I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville. I’m not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others. While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.”

Admittance is the first step to recovery. Now please re-enjoy "Werewolf Bar Mitzvah."

Oh, Donald Glover, bless you for writing that song. I could watch Mr. Glover stride back and forth across the stage just...forever. Sigh.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 2
"Humor" like that only comes from a place of deep rooted hatred.
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on June 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Vince 3
We know what he meant. We've heard it before. And I used to love him. Now I can't bear the sight of him. I don't hate him. I pity him.
Posted by Vince on June 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 4
Props to his PR team: this was a model of how to do a proper only-slightly-weaselly apology.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on June 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 5
So based on his NBC written apology we can assume if he does end up having a son who turns out to be gay he will still kill him?

HAPPY GAY PRIDE MONTH FROM THE CAST OF "30 ROCK"!!!!

Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
He didn't address any of the questions that arose out of his rant, though, did he?

Does he believe homosexuality is a choice?

Does he believe that kids learn homosexuality from the media?

What would he really say to his son if he were gay?

Does he believe homosexuality is unmanly?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on June 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 7
@6, no, I think he DID address answers to all of those questions. Silence is it's own answer to many many things in this world.
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on June 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 8
Dear Tracy Morgan, your apology is as genuine as your attempts at comedy. You were one of the worst things about Cop Out (and that says something), and you were one of the weaker links in Death at a Funeral. Being unfunny is a choice that every humorless unfunny asshole makes. They learn it by watching TV or really bad standup and taking away the shit while leaving the good stuff. But, it takes special talen to sell humorless schlock as comedy. And, that is you. If I had a son who came home and was as obnoxious and loud as you while being just as funny, I'd perform a tracheotomy WITHOUT anesthesia. Maybe we'll finally be rid of you. Fuck off, TheMisanthrope
Posted by TheMisanthrope on June 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM · Report this
Oh that Tracy.
Posted by Alec Baldwin on June 10, 2011 at 1:10 PM · Report this
He should face the same social and career consequnces as Don Imus and Michael Richards. What he said was every bit as bad. I'm sick of being told that we have to fight anti-black racism as though it were cancer, yet homophobia and bigotry spewed by African Americans generates none of the same conquequences.
Posted by jane doe on June 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM · Report this
venomlash 11
Our basketball hoop was a ribcage. A RIBCAGE!
Posted by venomlash on June 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM · Report this
I smell Toofer Story Arc!
Posted by Tina Fey on June 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Dougsf 13
#8 - what on Earth lead you to see Death at a Funeral? No way they played that on a plane.
Posted by Dougsf on June 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 14
@13 Its an obsession with Neil LaBute. I've watched every single feature of his, including all of his shitty shitty flops. The Wicker Man and Lakeview Terrace. ZOMG. Death at a Funeral was merely pedestrian bad compared to those two.

It is also why I saw Cop Out: Kevin Smith.

Both were on HBO when I saw them. And, I had a couple of hours.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on June 10, 2011 at 1:35 PM · Report this
Kinison 15
Well at least it only took a few days. How long did it take Eddie Murphy to apologize?
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on June 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM · Report this
JF 16
@14 Christ. I don't know how many times some variation of your last sentence has came out of my mouth.
Posted by JF on June 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Vince 17
@14 & 16 Your cable has crapped in your brains.
Posted by Vince on June 10, 2011 at 2:04 PM · Report this
The funny, "lovable" Tracey Jordan/Morgan on the first seasons of 30 Rock was Donald Glover's writing. If you haven't noticed the character has become mostly useless since Glover moved to Community. Morgan was always this homophobic, disturbed, and unfunny without good writers and editing.
Posted by SoSea Resident on June 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Boycott the bigot. I had sworn him off already for pure lack of comedic chops; he was profoundly unfunny at the Showbox. Now I have yet another reason to stop supporting his "comedy." What a jackass.
Posted by TBne on June 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 20
@17 Admittedly, I probably would have sought out both movies due to obsession on Netflix Streaming. :-/
Posted by TheMisanthrope on June 10, 2011 at 2:12 PM · Report this
seandr 21
@11: That's gold.
Posted by seandr on June 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM · Report this
Y 22
Tracy Morgan needs to take some Homocil. Because it's his problem, not theirs.

Posted by Y http://facebook.com/ymarksthespot on June 10, 2011 at 2:33 PM · Report this
venomlash 23
@21: One item for SCAV this year was "A basketball hoop that's a rib cage. A RIB CAGE!"
One team's road trip crew found a deer skeleton by the side of the road and brought parts of it back, using the ribs for that item.
Posted by venomlash on June 10, 2011 at 4:23 PM · Report this
Mark in Colorado 24
APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED Black Boy.
-From a Mexican American Gay Man
Posted by Mark in Colorado on June 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM · Report this
@10 Yeah, that Isaiah Washington got off scot-free.
Posted by mitchmitchmitch on June 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM · Report this
Full version of Werewolf Bar Mitzvah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6V2oCX3H…
Posted by lilzilla on June 11, 2011 at 8:48 AM · Report this
Paxlotl 27
It's gonna take a lot more than some forced apology to make me like Tracey Morgan again. Let's see him play a "lovable and funny" gay character. Then we'll talk.
Posted by Paxlotl on June 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 28
@27 "Funny"? Tracey Morgan? Damn, you're never going to forgive the bastard.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on June 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Frankly,
I'd never really heard much about this "comic" till this issue, he just never stood out as someone whose career was worth following, now the "spots" are him. I don't believe he is sincerely contrite about what he said, more worried that revealing his true feelings will damage his career. The worst part is there are millions of others of all races, creeds & nationalities whose beliefs about homosexuality make him their brother.
Posted by val43202 on June 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM · Report this