Friday, June 10, 2011

Frank Bruni Hearts Seattle!

Posted by on Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Frank Bruni came here and ate and drank all over the place—Madison Park Conservatory, Tavern Law, the Walrus and the Carpenter, more—and pretty much loved everything and thinks our region is god's gift to food (correct, sir!). Bruni also loved the Willows Inn (just like me!).

Bruni ribs us a bit for the oversincere/obsessive/fetishistic foodie thing, but I must say, I was just in Williamsburg, and it's waaaaay worse there (my server here, where the menu unhelpfully says things like "fettuccine" or "tartare" and then they have to tell you everything else about everything, made me want to laugh SO BAD with her earnest, longwinded, adjectival explanations and carefully frizzy hair).

But Bruni also waxes (appropriately!) rhapsodic about our jaggedy treelines. It is very sweet. We love you too, Frank!

I have so much trouble not laughing at over-earnest descriptions of daily specials.
Posted by paulus on June 10, 2011 at 7:04 PM · Report this
Jubilation T. Cornball 2
Bethany there's a Michelin-ranked restaurant I appallingly cannot recall by name that is famous for having something like a 20-word menu. Refreshing! I always equate the adjectival parade with restaurateurs hiding a filet of crap within a word pastry, en croute.
Posted by Jubilation T. Cornball on June 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM · Report this
Roma 3
I'm not a foodie so Bruni's writings on restaurants and food aren't that big of a deal to me but I used to love reading his pieces when he was the Rome bureau chief for the Times. I also saw him at Elliot Bay in 2009 when he was promoting his book Born Round and he was very engaging.
Posted by Roma on June 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 5
My he's really not a fan of Woodenville, is he? I think that was the best part of the article.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on June 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM · Report this
seandr 6
Fum article to read - I've lived in Seattle so long and the city is so familiar to me now that it can sometimes be difficult to really see and appreciate the charms that initially attracted me to it.
Posted by seandr on June 11, 2011 at 9:46 AM · Report this